Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2017 applicants from germany Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanaelion)
    Cognitive Science in the Science and Engineering School.
    The course is not really common, that's part of the reason why I am applying again to the same uni.
    In Scotland it is the only uni offering it afaik and in Germany there are also only two, Tübingen and Osnabrück.

If I dont get in, I will probably go to one of the two.

What about you? Do you have a plan B?

Yes the wait is really annoying, but I fear it will be the same this year
    - EU students only get the leftovers because of fee status :/

However, if you get an offer before march, let me know please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, I promised to let you know so here it is: Got declined today.

Best of luck for you though

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, I am sorry to hear that!

But thanks for letting me know
    Now I am extra nervous.

I wish you good luck for your other study options in Germany!

At least there with the NC you will know for sure why they accepted/denied you. Last time I got rejected from UoE I asked for specific feedback but only received the standard answer - too many applicants etc. But be sure to ask anyways, maybe you will get a specific reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simone0110)

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry 😰
    But I'm sure you will achieve what you want to achieve even if you don't go to a British uni. 🙏🏼👌🏼👊🏼

I wish you all the best and an incredible time in Osnabrück or Tübingen!! 😉👊🏼🙏🏼👍🏼😃 👏🏼👌🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by official_jh)
    Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry 😰
    But I'm sure you will achieve what you want to achieve even if you don't go to a British uni. 🙏🏼👌🏼👊🏼

I wish you all the best and an incredible time in Osnabrück or Tübingen!! 😉👊🏼🙏🏼👍🏼😃 👏🏼👌🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tübingen/Osnabrück is my Plan B, and I have not yet been rejected. She was just quoting it

But I am sure OP gets what you mean.

Luckily, there are plenty of other study options for someone bound to achieve 1.2 in the Abitur

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tübingen/Osnabrück is my Plan B, and I have not yet been rejected. She was just quoting it

But I am sure OP gets what you mean.

Luckily, there are plenty of other study options for someone bound to achieve 1.2 in the Abitur

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh my gosh.. now I'm terribly sorry... 🙈😂😂😜 I thought she might be quoting it to idk let us know who she is again.. 😂

Which at the moment sounded like the right things.. because she said that she got rejected and since you applied to just one uni I thought it's one person...

So sorry again 🙈

So anyway I hope you get accepted then^^ 👍🏼 and 1.2 is great 👏🏼🙏🏼😃

ReputationRep:

Turns out you were not the only one. Got rejected just now, too. Wonder if they take in any German students this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Turns out you were not the only one. Got rejected just now, too. Wonder if they take in any German students this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh god no I am so sorry to thear that. Also because of the grades? It is so hard do deal with the rejection, to be quite honest I am just waiting for the rejection from St. Andrews and when that happens...I don't know. I just was not expecting to be so sad about it.
    Try to cuddle someone that you love, that helped for me personally. All my best whises go out to you!

Ich bin mittlerweile einfach so deprimiert von dem Zulassungssystem in Großbritannien, vorallem in Schottland. Alle Unis werben nach außen hin damit, dass sie ausländische Studenten herzlich Willkommen heißen aber allein wegen dem Geld wird man anscheinend nicht genommen, zumindest kommt es mir so vor. Schottische Schüler mit schon merklich schlechteren Noten (wenn man der Umrechnungstabelle im Internet glauben schenken will...) kommen in den Studiengang und man selbst mit vergleichbaren/ z.T. sogar besseren Noten wird abgelehnt...Natürlich ist der Konkurrenzdruck immens hoch aber dann die Nationalität entscheiden zu lassen fände ich nicht fair. Keine Ahnung ob das wirklich so stimmt aber zumindest wirkt es stark so auf mich, dass man als EU Bürger schnell den kürzeren ziehen kann.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry for both of you now I'm even more anxious and nervous, I haven't heard back from any of my unis yet ... (St Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GermanIRhopeful)
    I'm so sorry for both of you now I'm even more anxious and nervous, I haven't heard back from any of my unis yet ... (St Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee)
    Oh no... Sorry to hear that you're still waiting, I remember texting with you about two months ago. I also have not heard back from StA. It is said that it is harder to get in StA than in Edinburgh... I just hope that this is not true otherwise I am done

ReputationRep:
    Oh no... Sorry to hear that you're still waiting, I remember texting with you about two months ago. I also have not heard back from StA. It is said that it is harder to get in StA than in Edinburgh... I just hope that this is not true otherwise I am done
    But you do have offers from KCL and Glasgow, right? You can definitely be proud of yourself, those are amazing unis as well!
    And yeah, I hate the wait so so much... Didn't expect it to be that horrible

ReputationRep:
    But you do have offers from KCL and Glasgow, right? You can definitely be proud of yourself, those are amazing unis as well!
    And yeah, I hate the wait so so much... Didn't expect it to be that horrible
    I do yes, but with extremly high conditons, but I do nevertheless. St Andrews is just the dream, as I told you a couple of months ago.. Me too. You just feel so lost, especially because no one of my peers nor my friends nor anybody I know in person has applied for a UK university so no one really understands what it feels like and this just sucks...

ReputationRep:
    I do yes, but with extremly high conditons, but I do nevertheless. St Andrews is just the dream, as I told you a couple of months ago.. Me too. You just feel so lost, especially because no one of my peers nor my friends nor anybody I know in person has applied for a UK university so no one really understands what it feels like and this just sucks...
    Yeah I know that feeling all too well... And I also fear having to tell my family, friends and teachers that I failed...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know that feeling all too well... And I also fear having to tell my family, friends and teachers that I failed...
    Please do not fear to tell them! This application process is so much work and so complicated, especially when it is in a foreign language. We can both be proud that we had the courage to apply, in order to be one step closer to follow our dreams. Not everybody is so brave.

ReputationRep:
    Please do not fear to tell them! This application process is so much work and so complicated, especially when it is in a foreign language. We can both be proud that we had the courage to apply, in order to be one step closer to follow our dreams. Not everybody is so brave.
    That's so kind of you to say x
    I just think that nobody of them gets how difficult it is to be accepted by unis like St A. Nobody understands how this is such a big thing, u know?

ReputationRep:
    That's so kind of you to say x
    I just think that nobody of them gets how difficult it is to be accepted by unis like St A. Nobody understands how this is such a big thing, u know?
    In this aspect I totally agree with you. But if someone does not follow up with this whole application and study in the UK thing, they can't understand it. Unfortunatley, although most of the people in germany don't know much about this UK University system, they judge nervetheless, and this is really bothering me :/
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    In this aspect I totally agree with you. But if someone does not follow up with this whole application and study in the UK thing, they can't understand it. Unfortunatley, although most of the people in germany don't know much about this UK University system, they judge nervetheless, and this is really bothering me :/
    St Andrews admissions can appear rather idiosyncratic and they often reject excellent candidates including students who are accepted by Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    St Andrews admissions can appear rather idiosyncratic and they often reject excellent candidates including students who are accepted by Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is interesting to hear. Can you give any reasons why? Or do you have an idea why they do so? St Andrews is a very perstigious and excellent university, no doubt about that, but in the rankings it is far below Oxbridge.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    That is interesting to hear. Can you give any reasons why? Or do you have an idea why they do so? St Andrews is a very perstigious and excellent university, no doubt about that, but in the rankings it is far below Oxbridge.
    No sorry I don't specifically know why

And in many rankings they aren't that far behind Oxbridge
    e.g. #3rd overall in Times Good Uni Guide.
    http://st.hitcreative.com/education/...leSearchAnchor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    No sorry I don't specifically know why

And in many rankings they aren't that far behind Oxbridge
    e.g. #3rd overall in Times Good Uni Guide.
    http://st.hitcreative.com/education/...leSearchAnchor
    Depends on the ranking I guess. In the QS Ranking for example they are, which does not mean that they are not a good university! https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2016 ( St Andrews #77 )
    I would just love to look into the head of the admission tutors, to understand why they make certain decisions

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've heard that as well... It seems that they sometimes reject excellent candidates that applied before the Oxbridge deadline because they know that candidates accepted by both Oxford/ Cambridge and St A would always put down Oxbridge as their firm choice. Obviously, unis want to offer places to students who will firm the offer. But you're safe if you applied after the Oxbridge deadline

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.