Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GermanIRhopeful)
    Yeah, I've heard that as well... It seems that they sometimes reject excellent candidates that applied before the Oxbridge deadline because they know that candidates accepted by both Oxford/ Cambridge and St A would always put down Oxbridge as their firm choice. Obviously, unis want to offer places to students who will firm the offer. But you're safe if you applied after the Oxbridge deadline
    No it's not that.

If that was the case they would be rejecting the best 30,000 or so students in the UK...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GermanIRhopeful)
    Yeah, I've heard that as well... It seems that they sometimes reject excellent candidates that applied before the Oxbridge deadline because they know that candidates accepted by both Oxford/ Cambridge and St A would always put down Oxbridge as their firm choice. Obviously, unis want to offer places to students who will firm the offer. But you're safe if you applied after the Oxbridge deadline
    I kinda doubt that, the same myth goes around with Durham and I know plenty of people who applied to Oxford and got offered a place at Durham. I think it could be about the money, because EU students don't bring in any (especially in Scotland) so they *might* rather admit more Americans and others who have to pay international fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackSwan98)
    Hi everyone!
    I'm a German applicant as well but I'm already holding an offer from LSE (for A&F). Does anyone know if there are special scholarships from Germany to support those studying abroad? ....I'v already looked at different websites but there doesn't seem to be much support for undergraduate courses...
    Versuch auf jeden Fall, dich bei der Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes zu bewerben. Wenn du nicht schon vorgeschlagen wurdest. Die bezuschussen ein Auslandsstudium mit 2 mal 10.000 Euro für die Studiengebühren scheinbar.
    (Edit: English translation)
    Try applying to the "Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes" in Germany if you haven't been proposed for it yet. Apparently they fund 2 x 10.000 euros for tuition fees abroad!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    Versuch auf jeden Fall, dich bei der Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes zu bewerben. Wenn du nicht schon vorgeschlagen wurdest. Die bezuschussen ein Auslandsstudium mit 2 mal 10.000 Euro für die Studiengebühren scheinbar.
    Please include an English translation on any posts outside the dedicated International TSR forums

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Please include an English translation on any posts outside the dedicated International TSR forums

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's totally irrelevant for everyone who isn't German I was just saying they should apply for a specific german scholarship
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    It's totally irrelevant for everyone who isn't German I was just saying they should apply for a specific german scholarship
    That's great and thanks for clarifying. But it's still a TSR requirement to provide translations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scblx)
    Super danke für den tipp werde das auf jeden Fall mal versuchen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    That's great and thanks for clarifying. But it's still a TSR requirement to provide translations

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, apologies. I edited it and added a translation

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am from Germany, too, and have applied at St Andrews as well. But I have not received an answer yet... Does anyone know when to expect an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calyciphilie)
    Hi, I am from Germany, too, and have applied at St Andrews as well. But I have not received an answer yet... Does anyone know when to expect an offer?
    Hey there
    From what I've heard, St Andrews usually takes long to reply!! So don't worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I also have not heard anything, maybe I should call them.... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simone0110)
    I also have not heard anything, maybe I should call them.... :/
    Well, they have until 31st may to respond, so I think we should just try to wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by official_jh)
    Hey there
    From what I've heard, St Andrews usually takes long to reply!! So don't worry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I try to be patient

ReputationRep:
    Well, they have until 31st may to respond, so I think we should just try to wait...
    Someone ( I think it was on the StA hopefulls thread) sayed, that they have to reply by the end of march if you applied before january 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simone0110)
    Someone ( I think it was on the StA hopefulls thread) sayed, that they have to reply by the end of march if you applied before january 15.
    ok then we will probably hear from them soon

ReputationRep:
    ok then we will probably hear from them soon
    Hopefully he's right! I can wait to more weeks, but over two months....

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm also a German applicant. As I expected I received rejections from Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. Andrews.
    I really believe that due to the high amount of applications from EU-students these universities are just able to accept German applicants with the best possible grades. I have even heard from Germans who got rejected with a GPA of 1,0

I still hope to get into Aberdeen.

Another questions to the German applicants:

How old are you gonna be if you would start your Studies in September.
    I am gonna be 22 years old and people told me I willfeel very old because of my Age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacheteOnAir)
    Hi Guys,

I'm also a German applicant. As I expected I received rejections from Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. Andrews.
    I really believe that due to the high amount of applications from EU-students these universities are just able to accept German applicants with the best possible grades. I have even heard from Germans who got rejected with a GPA of 1,0

I am gonna be 22 years old and people told me I willfeel very old because of my Age

I am starting an undergrad programm this year (if any uni will take me...) and I am going to be 19

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Will be 20 when I start in September (wherever that may be)

Don't worry too much, in my experience age differences between 18 - 25 are really irrelevant

What counts is appearance and maturity mostly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'll be 18 when I start in the UK (in October).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.