Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A-Level Equations that aren't given Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What are the equations we need to remember for the AQA A2 exam that aren't on the formula sheet?

ReputationRep:
    There are actually quite a few, and to be honest I don't think I can list them. I can however say that you do need to know the derivations of some formulae, and I have been told to learn the ins and outs of these:

- SHM formulae (every last one, even the weird fruity looking energy equation that relates amplitude and such)
    - Kinetic theory formula (p = (1/3)*density*c^2... I'm just going to go derive that one now :-
    - Circular Motion v^2 / r formula

All the above three are formula derivations that seem to have popped up in questions on my past papers or IAL past papers, and it appears as though they don't directly require derivation but instead require usage at a step of the derivation, i.e. rather than using the formulae given on the sheet you must take a step back and utilise a different method.

I'll ask my teacher on Monday to see if she could make a formula sheet or tell me some, or perhaps someone else may provide them :P

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you can rearrange the formulae for exponential decay (radioactive half life & capacitors)

formula sheet gives you
    Q=Q0 e-t/RC *
    which rearranges to
    ln Q - ln Q0 = -t/RC
    which is likely what the questions will need

ReputationRep:
    there are quite a few , the pressure one which is derived from the kinetic theory model: P=NMU/V and there are 3 variations of this which can also be derived : P=1/3NMC^2 , and one more which is when you take the C^2 and replace it with C(rms)
    There is also a Gravitational frields formula for orbits , the T^2=4(pi)^2*R^3/GM which is derived from V=2(pi)R/T and V=Squarerootof(GM/R)
    In addition there are a few more circular motion equations:V^2/R , also Angular speed=angle/t
    There are a few capacitors equations too which i cannot remember , but one is Timetohalf=0.69RC , and a few for Charging and discharging which are not given.
    you also don't get given the stopping potential of an electron , in the photo electric effect stopping potential=KE/charge of electron
    the escape velocity of an orbit is not given: v=squareroot(2GM/R)

there a few more which i do not remember of the top of my head , but hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.