Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If Western justice systems are racist... Watch

• View Poll Results: IS the justice system sexist?
    Yes
    47.06%
    No
    52.94%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    Trends? Trends of racism you mean? Non white people are stopped and searched more often because of stereotypes. Non white people are more likely to receive jail time than white counterparts due to stereotypes and racism. Very few judges seem to find difficult "ruining" a black offenders future but a young white male? Oh he can learn his lesson through teeny tiny sentence and an essay describing what his wrong was 🙄

Even if you have an open minded judge, you still have a jury who can be racist and sexist. Jury is more likely to convict black men than white. Less likely to convict female sex offenders than male.

No trends but the consequences of hate and stereotypes
    So do you accept that the system is sexist against men or are men somehow special and those arguments don't apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    Does it matter?
    Not at all, I was bored and forgot I asked actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    Another reason why women are treated differently is that they are more likely to be raising children, which means that fines (and, obviously, imprisonment) often affect women in a different way.

In my own view, having studied the justice system in some detail, I think it is certainly true that the justice system takes a different approach to women than men, but that this can be justified on certain (aforementioned) grounds. These grounds do not apply in a racial context, but there is also a lot of racism in the justice system (against ethnic minorities). Our criminal justice system is in terrible shape, major reform is very much needed.
    There are still policies which are blatantly sexist such as the sentencing guideline telling judges to avoid custodial sentences where possible for mothers, even when there is a father at home and the same treatment not applied in reverse. The wider legal system is sexist, it's not just in relation to crime.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    ...are they sexist too?

People like to argue that western Justice systems, particularly the US system is racist when comparing the demographics of those incarcerated and the general population. If we do this with gender do we get it being clearly sexist, after all men are 10 times as likely to be incarcerated in a US prison, and about 20 times more likely in the UK?

Or is it that it is permissible to bring up relative crime rates if we aren't talking about race?
    Shhh! You can't point out how the justice system, even in the US, is more sexist than racist because it makes you a woman hating misogynist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So do you accept that the system is sexist against men or are men somehow special and those arguments don't apply?
    I thought I'd already said I felt it was sexist towards men. Especially in terms of who gets imprisoned for sexual assault but it's not the only crime where women are given a reduced punishment.

Must have gotten distracted whilst I was typing and not ended up putting that thought down. It's a view I've mentioned a view times on tsr

ReputationRep:
    ...are they sexist too?

People like to argue that western Justice systems, particularly the US system is racist when comparing the demographics of those incarcerated and the general population. If we do this with gender do we get it being clearly sexist, after all men are 10 times as likely to be incarcerated in a US prison, and about 20 times more likely in the UK?

Or is it that it is permissible to bring up relative crime rates if we aren't talking about race?
    They are sexist. Men are 3 times more likely to be convicted for the same crime as women, given no prior criminal record.

The West is doomed for men. The entire system (education, business and the law) is totally against men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.