Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which diagram should I draw to depict economic growth?? (AS macro ) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

How can i illustrate economic growth diagrammatically in my Macro essays? My teacher has said to draw a PPF & shift the curve outwards, is this so?

In that case, how should I label the axes?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    The PPF is one way, not the best way though. For a PPF you just label one side "Consumer Goods" and the other as "Capital Goods" then show a curve shifting out (make sure you include arrows)

I personally would show it using a shift in Long run aggregate supply or aggregate demand (where output increases not where it causes inflationary pressures)

ReputationRep:
    PPF isn't a great way and you won't score all the marks for diagram and analysis. You should draw and AD and AS diagram and show a shift of either one depending on which one increased. And increasing in real output indicates economic growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    The PPF is one way, not the best way though. For a PPF you just label one side "Consumer Goods" and the other as "Capital Goods" then show a curve shifting out (make sure you include arrows)

I personally would show it using a shift in Long run aggregate supply or aggregate demand (where output increases not where it causes inflationary pressures)
    (Original post by sinatraa)
    PPF isn't a great way and you won't score all the marks for diagram and analysis. You should draw and AD and AS diagram and show a shift of either one depending on which one increased. And increasing in real output indicates economic growth.
    Thanks guys, appreciate it. Should I use the classical or keynesian LRAS curve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demesne7)
    Doesn't matter, either are fine in most cases but again it depends on context

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demesne7)
    I would personally stick to Keynesian because you can make more points, with classical a shift in AD is pure inflationary and doesn't demonstrate economic growth just inflationary pressure. Keynesian is the preferred and modern school of thought and much of the information you're taught is based on Keynesian, you only learn classical for reference / counter argument purpose and it can come up in section A otherwise don't use it In section B you kill many good points and sometimes won't be able to make the point like with AD

ReputationRep:
    Got it. Thanks again guys!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.