Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is this anything to worry about? It mainly happens when pulling up to traffic lights, or stopping in heavy traffic. If i have to brake quickly or suddenly it doesn't happen.

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sounds like your pads need greasing a bit to dampen the vibrations; best to get them inspected and find out for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Sounds like your pads need greasing a bit to dampen the vibrations; best to get them inspected and find out for sure.
    I know there is some rust on the brake disks. The callipers are very rusty - though i don't think that has any affect.

ReputationRep:
    it's just a harmless irritation - you can grease the back of the pads if you're really bothered, that's the metal side, not the side that rubs onto the disks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    it's just a harmless irritation - you can grease the back of the pads if you're really bothered, that's the metal side, not the side that rubs onto the disks.
    I suppose that would mean taking the wheel off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hachik0)
    I know there is some rust on the brake disks. The callipers are very rusty - though i don't think that has any affect.
    a little bit of rust on the disks is normal if you don't drive for a few days.

calipers are usually covered in surface rust - not a problem either

ReputationRep:
    a little bit of rust on the disks is normal if you don't drive for a few days.

calipers are usually covered in surface rust - not a problem either
    I checked the front bake pads the other day and they are fine. I have read online that if you get a stone stuck; that can cause squeaking. We do have a gravel driveway so perhaps it's just a lodged stone.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - there'll be guides on the internet or haynes manuals in your town library (least there is in my town library)

ReputationRep:
    I checked the front bake pads the other day and they are fine. I have read online that if you get a stone stuck; that can cause squeaking. We do have a gravel driveway so perhaps it's just a lodged stone.
    Well the description of squealing when you come to a gentle stop sounds very typical of the way all brake disks used to sound until the OEM brake pads started having anti squeak material on the back. I'd guess it's a second hand car and the previous owner put on cheap halfords pads without the anti squeak to get it through the MOT. (nothing wrong with halfords pads imo - use them myself)

if you take the wheel off you can look for trapped stones, never had this myself but tbh that sounds like it'd make a noise whether you were braking or not - also unlikely to happen to both wheels simultaneously.

ReputationRep:
    Well the description of squealing when you come to a gentle stop sounds very typical of the way all brake disks used to sound until the OEM brake pads started having anti squeak material on the back. I'd guess it's a second hand car and the previous owner put on cheap halfords pads without the anti squeak to get it through the MOT. (nothing wrong with halfords pads imo - use them myself)

if you take the wheel off you can look for trapped stones, never had this myself but tbh that sounds like it'd make a noise whether you were braking or not - also unlikely to happen to both wheels simultaneously.
    Second hand, 114,000 miles on the clock. Tbh it drives like new. I shouldn't really be complaining as i suspect it's nothing major - the annoyance more than anything. The front brake pads are newer than the back - perhaps you're right about the cheap pads - who knows.

The only other thing i forgot to mention is that iv'e read that brake dust can cause squeaky brakes. Perhaps a good wash with wheel cleaner - that targets brake dust, would do the job.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Rust is normal, don't worry about that; but yes, it would involve taking the wheel off. Quick 5 minute job each corner to grease up the pads, and copper grease is relatively cheap (about £3 a tube on Amazon).

Foreign bodies like a stone would make more of a grinding noise, similar to that of metal on metal if your pads were worn down, but a little less.. well.. metallic..

Cheap pads can be and usually are always noisier than their slightly more expensive counterparts, not to mention they last a hell of a lot shorter.

Just pop your pads out, regrease, and pop them back in; give them a little rub down to make sure no little stones are actually there - if you still have the issue, consider buying new pads, or have a mechanic diagnose the issue.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 29, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.