Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please help me. C4 trignometerey question part 4
    I have a question as follows. The diagram shows 3 points L(-2,1), M(0,2) and N(3,-2) joined to form a triangle. The angles a and b and the point P are shown in the diagram.
    angle a is left of x=0 and angle b is right of x=0 - making up compound angle of a + b. ...
    P is at (0, 1)
    Question (i) asks Show that sin a =2/root 5 and write down the value of cos a.
    The next part, (ii) asks Find the values of sin b and cos b.
    iii) show that sin LMN = 11/5 root 5
    iv) show that tan LNM = 11/27.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    i) using trig and pythagoras it is easy to find out that LM = root(5), LP = 2, and MP = 1, therefore the trig values are simple for triangle LPM
    ii) Say the line MN crosses the x axis at K. Use triangle MOK to work out trig values for B. You know MO = 2, and once you've worked out K then OK = K. Then just work out trig values.
    iii) use sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + sin(b)cos(a) and your previous answers.
    iv) sin = opposite/hypoternuse, so construct a triangle with the side lengths of the answer to (iii) and use pythagoras.

Let me know if you need anymore help

ReputationRep:
    jjust clarification for iv, tan = opposite/adjacent and sin = opposite/hypoternuse
    use the answer they give you to (iii) to work out the value of the adjacent side using pythagoras, then you'll be able to give an answer for tan.

ReputationRep:
    For part (iii) you could also wheel out the cosine rule as you already have (or can easily find) the lengths of all three sides of the triangle LNM. This will give you cos(LMN). Sin (LMN) will follow via a quick sketch of a triangle with adjacent and hypotenuse to suit your cos(LMN). Pythagoras will give you the missing side (opposite) and you can then find sin(LMN).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.