Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Messed up acidentally scratched cars with someone else help!! Watch

I'm a really new driver and i miss judged the gap when reversing and bumped into the front of their car causing some paint scratches to back of mine. out of shear panic I drove off and parked somewhere else, started walking towards the car to see what had happened, but the owners walked into the car before I got there - they were 25is guys being loud is, they drove off without even noticing.

I feel so guilty, i know what i did was wrong and I don't know what to do!! I should have tried to say something but I paniced and was too scared to say anything.

It was dark but would they try and get cctv from the parking lot (if there is any) what can happen?

and what I am most worried about now, what do I tell my parents about the paint scratch, I was half tempted to tell them I did it driving into our driveway wall (did a smaller scratch on it before), but I feel like I should tell them straight up.

im literally shaking, i feel so bad

(Original post by Anonymous)
      I'm a really new driver and i miss judged the gap when reversing and bumped into the front of their car causing some paint scratches to back of mine. out of shear panic I drove off and parked somewhere else, started walking towards the car to see what had happened, but the owners walked into the car before I got there - they were 25is guys being loud is, they drove off without even noticing.

I feel so guilty, i know what i did was wrong and I don't know what to do!! I should have tried to say something but I paniced and was too scared to say anything.

It was dark but would they try and get cctv from the parking lot (if there is any) what can happen?

and what I am most worried about now, what do I tell my parents about the paint scratch, I was half tempted to tell them I did it driving into our driveway wall (did a smaller scratch on it before), but I feel like I should tell them straight up.

im literally shaking, i feel so bad
      was it really bad?
      if yes tell them and apologise

(Original post by tamil fever)
      was it really bad?
      if yes tell them and apologise
      Well not like really bad, the scratch is on the back left, a bit more than the length of my hand if I hold it horizontally.

But im still more guilty about what i did

ReputationRep:
      Tell your parents even if you don't think it's bad. You made a accident it's not like you did it on purpose so don't continue to feel guilty. Just next time be a bit more careful if possible.

I think it is just a reminder that you need to be a bit more careful when driving, and tbh everyone makes mistakes. Tell your parents, otherwise the guilt will just build up ! xxxxxxx

Well not like really bad, the scratch is on the back left, a bit more than the length of my hand if I hold it horizontally.

But im still more guilty about what i did
        Don't feel guilty bc it was just an accident.Tell your parents atleast.

(Original post by otakumi)
        Tell your parents even if you don't think it's bad. You made a accident it's not like you did it on purpose so don't continue to feel guilty. Just next time be a bit more careful if possible.
        but I didn;t do anyting about it then an there, isn't it a bad crime? I didn't really get to see the damage apart from a very small dent from from looking in my mirror (it was dark)

wouldn't they be able to find out which car did it if they spoke to the super market?

and im just worried what my parents will say

I think it is just a reminder that you need to be a bit more careful when driving, and tbh everyone makes mistakes. Tell your parents, otherwise the guilt will just build up ! xxxxxxx
        Tell them the fact I actually hit another car?

ReputationRep:
        Nothing will happen if it was in a car-park. They accept no liability, I doubt they'd release CCTV, and I doubt the other driver will ask for it. Insurance companies would have nothing to do with it. You're probably fine. You didn't mean to do it, and it's not gonna be the end of the world to them. No point worrying about it now you can't fix it.

(Original post by tamil fever)
        Don't feel guilty bc it was just an accident.Tell your parents atleast.
        I just went outside and cleaned it up with some water and it's hardly noticeable, there are one or two "dots" of paint that have been scraped and few very very faint lines.

I could probably get away without mentioning it to them, should I do that?

ReputationRep:
        I just went outside and cleaned it up with some water and it's hardly noticeable, there are one or two "dots" of paint that have been scraped and few very very faint lines.

I don't see the point in telling them.

yh if u want to but atleast tell ur parents.

(Original post by dragonzrmetal)
          I don't see the point in telling them.
          Now its dry a bit you can look at it and see that it has been scratched, if you were looking at that piece of the car. You can still see the faint lines and a few scuff marks and small dots of paint. Without looking at it alone, and just the whole car you could probably not notice.

Should I just par it off as I don't know what happened if they notice it or actually tell them

ReputationRep:
          Seriously don't worry if you had told them or not they would have gone through insurance either way. It's a good thing you are conscious just tell your parents and try to stop worrying about it.

ReputationRep:
          You could try polishing it out with some t-cut or compound, should get rid of the marks.

(Original post by Manxlad)
          You could try polishing it out with some t-cut or compound, should get rid of the marks.
          im not so worried with my car, more the fact if I should tell my parents or hope they the persons car a bumped into doesn't try and track down my car

(Original post by otakumi)
          Seriously don't worry if you had told them or not they would have gone through insurance either way. It's a good thing you are conscious just tell your parents and try to stop worrying about it.
          can't I get in much worse trouble because I never said anything to them if they go and try and find out who did any damage? should I not mention it to my parents?

ReputationRep:
          I think you'll be okay. Unless they saw you which they didn't. Just put it down as a silly mistake, everyone does something like that in their lives. Your choice if you tell your parents

ReputationRep:
          it is an offence to fail to leave details if you bump another car. will the police become involved nah. it was a scratch in a car park. should you tell the owner. if its extremely minor then probably not. but be more careful it could have been far more serious. now stop worrying use it to become a more careful drive. nearly every car has marks on it from parking. just never run from a proper accident it then becomes very serious.

(Original post by paulbarlow)
          it is an offence to fail to leave details if you bump another car. will the police become involved nah. it was a scratch in a car park. should you tell the owner. if its extremely minor then probably not. but be more careful it could have been far more serious. now stop worrying use it to become a more careful drive. nearly every car has marks on it from parking. just never run from a proper accident it then becomes very serious.
          Should I try and call up the supermarket and leave my details with them if anyone enquires about trying to find out what happened (I think they have cctv) or should I just leave it.

Thanks, I actually didn't know you had to leave a note, so I know that now, although it is pretty obvious if they look on cctv that I drove away. And no I wouln't leave the scene of a more serious accident

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
        Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.