The Student Room Group

A Journey to All A*s (Hopefully)

Hey, My name is Tami and I'm a current Y11!:tongue: I thought I'd join to motivate myself for the next few months until exams :dong:

I don't really have a career I wanna do just yet but like English Lit a lot and tend to like 'mind-creative' things aka nothing that involves physical art, like interpreting TV shows and films, reading etc

Here are some stats:

Mock results vs Predicted vs Current Working

Spoiler

I take Double Science and we haven't had a mock yet but I got A* in Core last year and so hope to do just as well this year! I also take Further Maths which hasn't had a mock yet either.

Surprisingly, I revised really hard for RE and Geography which tells me that my exam technique has to improve. I revised quite a lot for PE too but that seems to have paid off!

I tend to revise Science with ease (Thanks CGP) and used to do Maths quite a bit but I need to go over Inspector Calls, Jekyll and Hyde and Poems for Lit :s-smilie:and I need to improve my Geography knowledge A LOT. Even though I don't seem to be amazing at Geography exams I managed a pre-moderation A* in the coursework (25%) so maybe that'll save me.

I have my Eng Lang Paper 2 mock on Tuesday, French Writing Coursework I need to redraft ideally for Monday and the IMC on Thursday so I guess I'll be preparing for those first while finishing my History Coursework at school for this week, and then my Science Mock the following week :pinch: Wish me luck ......

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Katzen
*looks at grades*

Welp the journey to A* is going to be quite short for you if you keep the good work up.

Good luck on the French coursework, I have to resit my Spanish writing exam 1 and 2 in the half term holidays. Got good scores on Speaking 1 and 2.

Thank you! Good luck with your Spanish writing!!! and I think it's pretty impressive to do well in Speaking exams, I always mess up from nerves
Reply 2
Original post by Katzen
Ah all credit goes to my Spanish teacher, he's a really cool guy that has to put up with all our mess and resits. Incredible flexible, he is.

Yeah I would have that issue as well, I memorise it-
what? Learn it? no no no why learn when you can memorise it and get Bs and As? It's not like AQA actually care if you can speak Spanish no no no.

Yeah and then I'm like "oh yeah here we go HERE WE GO!"

I enter the room,

"*breaths in* Hola me.....wait......oh no."

HAHA I tend to shake and cry sometime before, during or after the exam but to each his own i guess.
Memorisation is honestly key, I'm not sure how exam boards expect us to be semi-fluent in a foreign language in a year and a half tho....
You've done so well in your mocks!
Reply 4
Original post by Katzen
I always cry when I watch English Lit revision videos just like "HOW THE HELL CAN I SAY THAT? THAT WOULD BE A LIE! I DON'T KNOW WHY SHAKESPEARE DID THIS!"

I don't know who's in charge of exam boards, I would love to send them this picture.

As a good friend of mine said, "English Literature is about making stuff up and justifying it"...He says as he gets handed his mock results and sees he got a Grade 3. *claps*

grade 3? must've not justified enough. tbh i think eng lit isn't necessarily making stuff up but maybe finding links in the text/context that make it more enjoyable to the reader. it's nice to think everything has some deep alternative meaning uno. it would be kinda dull to read something that just said 'the curtains were blue'
Reply 5
Since when did A*+ become a thing?
Reply 6
Original post by Doctor Who??
You've done so well in your mocks!

Thanks haha! :smile: now for the real things ................
Reply 7
Original post by Geek5
Since when did A*+ become a thing?

since it was written on my results paper? idk it's an indicator of how close you are to the boundary, I guess it was pretty solid
Reply 8
Original post by tamilux
since it was written on my results paper? idk it's an indicator of how close you are to the boundary, I guess it was pretty solid

Sounds like something made up by your school. That's not to suggest it's not impressive, you have some outstanding results there.
Reply 9
Original post by Geek5
Sounds like something made up by your school. That's not to suggest it's not impressive, you have some outstanding results there.

thank you, and yeah it def won't say that on the actual paper in august haha!
Reply 10
Original post by Katzen
Says the girl that got an Grade 8.

I used to love analyzing things, I really did.

But then I entered Year 11.

And then I went into a spiral ohhhh my.

*looks at McDonald logo*

Friend: You know Katzen, I never understood the yellow arches.

Me: *ahem* The founders of McDonald decided to use the yellow arches in order to symbolise happiness. The effect this has on potential customers is that they will associate happiness with McDonald and therefore will feel the need to cure their depression by eating McChicken Sandwhich and Fish Filliet.

Friend: Oh my ****ing God.

Me: Do you mind? *ahem* These types of logo are common as the founders used psychology studies in order to understand the human behaviour towards colours hence why various companies such as Pizza Hut uses a red colour to make their custom-

Friend: Dude shut the **** up.

His facial expression was really funny though, we had just finished from an English intervention so doing this after a few 10 minutes just pissed him off so bad.

oh wow i think that's the level of dedication i need to push me into the next grade. i try not to sound pretentious when we discuss analysis at school but its unavoidable tbqh
Reply 11
Original post by Katzen
What.

No no no that wasn't dedication, that me being a prick to my friend. Do you want to be a prick?! Do you want to lose friends? Do you want to be that one girl that gets As and A*s but doesn't have friends?

If yes, make sure you record yourself and send it to me so I can slowly watch you lose friends, I'm a very sadistic individual if you couldn't tell from my signature of Donald Trump.

Hmmm from the rhetorical questions i can infer that you are showing ur lack of confidence of the chance of keeping friends by constant analysis. the repeated 'no no no' also amplifies this point, making it clear it is a bad idea. the lexical field of dickhead including words like 'prick' 'sadistic' and 'donald trump' all further highlight the negative mood of the piece, warning the reader to follow the advice.
Reply 12
Original post by Katzen
Here the the student has shown the audience that she cheats in the exam. I can infer this as the student gets really good grades on her exams yet fails to correctly identify the language devices of the writer. An example of this is when she incorrectly identifies one of the language device as a rhetorical questi- THAT WASN'T A RHETORICAL QUESTION! That was an actual question.

you got me :wink: obvs jekyll n hyde is too much pressure for me, cheating is the only option :frown: (jk!)
Reply 13
UPDATE
So far today I've finished(ish) some History homework, redrafted my French coursework, done my further maths homework and managed to understand some concept in a maths textbook that had me completely baffled for at least 30 minutes (so im quite proud of that).
Next, I need to start drafting my French speaking answers so I don't end up rushing when it's time to learn them, and also prepare for the maths challenge on Thursday.
I have a cold which hasn't been great which is a shame as i'm being quite productive atm even tho i feel like death!
Reply 14
Original post by Katzen

Jking jking I care. Yeah yeah 100% I care a lot.

Ahhhh bless her heart she thinks we care....

wow is that any way to speak to the sick? on my own thread? and lowkey u care be honest
Reply 15
UPDATE
today I've done jack shite in terms of revision but I did finish learning modular arithmetic for no reason. I forgot to give in my coursework to be marked :doh:but it's finished so that's okay. next two weeks r kinda busy even tho i pretty much wasted today but it's okay cos ive got a cold so that's my excuse!
Reply 16
Original post by Katzen
> today I've done jack shite in terms of revision

> but I did finish learning modular arithmetic

LOLLL it's not on any spec therefore it's pretty useless but it does help w division a bit
Original post by Katzen
> today I've done jack shite in terms of revision

> but I did finish learning modular arithmetic

Stop being a douche bag pal. Your just jealous because your so stupid!
Leave the successful OP alone
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by fleky6910
Stop being a douche bag pal. Your just jealous because your so stupid!
Leave the successful OP alone

it's okay dw it's just a bit of banter
Reply 19
Original post by Katzen
Ba-ba-ba-banter!?

No no no, this isn't banter.

This is genuine confusion, one side you're like "oh I did jack ****" and then you're like "I finished learning how to calculate the circumference of the sun using 2 melons in my kitchen."

Make up your mind!

refer to the bit where i said 'in terms of revision' maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending