Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs: 2 A*s 8As 1B
    A Levels: Bio, Psychology and Geography
    A Level Predictions: AAA

I'm kinda panicking about what I want to do - I have no idea! I've wanted to go into the medical field for a while but I don't feel like I have my heart set on anything which is quite irritating. Medicine has always been a possibility in the back of my mind, I've been researching it for years now but when choosing A Levels I doubted my abilities and thought I'd flop Chemistry if I took it, so took Psychology instead. I really love Psychology actually, and it's another possibility for University, but I'd love to do a degree that could lead me to a job.

I've seen a number of foundation courses for medicine but I have a few concerns. The ones I've found are:
    - Cardiff
    - Manchester
    - Keele
    - Durham
    - Dundee

My concerns are I feel I'm not bright enough for these competitive courses. They have very limited places and my GCSEs aren't the best. Also, I feel more sixth form wouldn't really look at me as a possible med applicant because I don't do Chem and therefore I'll be forced away from applying. The medicine application is very strenuous and stressful, so I feel it may impact on my A Level grades. Finally, adding another year onto Uni is another £9000 and I doubt my family will get any help because my dad is an accountant and has a good career etc.

I'm just really anxious because I feel like everyone around me has their life sorted out and I've been so confused for years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    GCSEs: 2 A*s 8As 1B
    A Levels: Bio, Psychology and Geography
    A Level Predictions: AAA

I'm kinda panicking about what I want to do - I have no idea! I've wanted to go into the medical field for a while but I don't feel like I have my heart set on anything which is quite irritating. Medicine has always been a possibility in the back of my mind, I've been researching it for years now but when choosing A Levels I doubted my abilities and thought I'd flop Chemistry if I took it, so took Psychology instead. I really love Psychology actually, and it's another possibility for University, but I'd love to do a degree that could lead me to a job.

I've seen a number of foundation courses for medicine but I have a few concerns. The ones I've found are:
    - Cardiff
    - Manchester
    - Keele
    - Durham
    - Dundee

My concerns are I feel I'm not bright enough for these competitive courses. They have very limited places and my GCSEs aren't the best. Also, I feel more sixth form wouldn't really look at me as a possible med applicant because I don't do Chem and therefore I'll be forced away from applying. The medicine application is very strenuous and stressful, so I feel it may impact on my A Level grades. Finally, adding another year onto Uni is another £9000 and I doubt my family will get any help because my dad is an accountant and has a good career etc.

I'm just really anxious because I feel like everyone around me has their life sorted out and I've been so confused for years
    I think there are some courses for direct entry that would accept Biology A-level alongside Chemistry at AS, so perhaps you could pick up AS chem. If it's what you want to do then definitely apply for the foundation places, all routes into and jobs in Medicine are competitive so you'll need to get used the competition.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you, after your A Levels, take chemistry as a stand alone subject? Then you'll have your grade and can apply. But that's another year before you can apply mind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.