Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ll.png
Views: 45
Size:  20.7 KBHi, for this question I don't understand how the mass of water is worked out. I have constructed an equation for it because I don't think this is necessary in a way... So at the end the product we have has 2 water molecule going from the starting product with 0.5 water molecule only. The answer is to simply multiply the n of plaster by 1.5. I don't quite get this, because this is not really the mole ratio though...Attachment 615024615022

Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Surely the PoP needs 1.5 mol of water!!!!1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Surely the PoP needs 1.5 mol of water!!!!1
    1.5 number of hydrogen is different to 1.5 moles surely? If there is 1.5 moles, then you will have more oxygen as a result... I am not following... Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Each mol of PoP contains 1/2 mol of H2O.

Each mol of set PoP contains 2 mol of H2O.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Each mol of PoP contains 1/2 mol of H2O.

Each mol of set PoP contains 2 mol of H2O.
    So you are suggesting that the plaster reacts with 1.5 lots of water?

ReputationRep:
    Help?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Help?
    I can't really add much to the previous comments.

It seems to me that you don't understand the concept of hydrated salts.

The "dot" between the formula and the water molecules means that the water (usually called water of crystallisation) is associated with the crystal structure in a ratio which is given by the coefficient (big number) in front of the water formula.

CuSO4.5H2O

This means that for every copper sulfate formula unit there are 5 associated water molecules. These molecules are used in building the crystal lattice (hence water of crystallisation)

Now if you multiply the whole formula up by Avogadro's number it then becomes 1 mole of hydrated copper(II) sulfate in which every 1 mole of copper(II) sulfate is associated with 5 moles of water molecules.

If you heat 1 mole of hydrated copper(II) sulfate strongly you will get 1 mole of copper(II) sulfate (anhydrous) and 5 moles of water given off as steam.

CuSO4.5H2O --> CuSO4 + 5H2O

Now apply these ideas to YOUR problem.

There are two forms of calcium sulfate:

CaSO4.0.5H2O
    and
    CaSO4.2H2O

What do you have to give to the first to get the second?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)

It seems to me that you don't understand the concept of hydrated salts.

The "dot" between the formula and the water molecules means that the water (usually called water of crystallisation) is associated with the crystal structure in a ratio which is given by the coefficient (big number) in front of the water formula.

CuSO4.5H2O

This means that for every copper sulfate formula unit there are 5 associated water molecules. These molecules are used in building the crystal lattice (hence water of crystallisation)

Now if you multiply the whole formula up by Avogadro's number it then becomes 1 mole of hydrated copper(II) sulfate in which every 1 mole of copper(II) sulfate is associated with 5 moles of water molecules.

If you heat 1 mole of hydrated copper(II) sulfate strongly you will get 1 mole of copper(II) sulfate (anhydrous) and 5 moles of water given off as steam.

CuSO4.5H2O --> CuSO4 + 5H2O

Now apply these ideas to YOUR problem.

There are two forms of calcium sulfate:

CaSO4.0.5H2O
    and
    CaSO4.2H2O

What do you have to give to the first to get the second?
    Thanks, I know what you mean now. So if there is 2CaSO4.0.5H2O, does it mean I have 1 mole of water in total? Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Thanks, I know what you mean now. So if there is 2CaSO4.0.5H2O, does it mean I have 1 mole of water in total? Thanks
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    I'd have loved to have seen how long the response that DID "add much to the previous comments" would have been.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.