Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Twitter beats its 2016 diversity goals but its workforce is still predominantly white Watch

Twitter has revealed that it has surpassed the modest workforce diversity targets it set for 2016, but the company has admitted it still has work to do when it comes to the representation of women and minorities within its walls.

The social network's most recent diversity update noted that 37% of its 3000 staff are women, coming in at 2% above its goal for this year. Women in leadership positions are now 5% above target at 30%.

Underrepresented minorities comprise 11% of Twitter's workforce and while just 9% of these work in tech roles the numbers align with the firm's 2016 diversity blueprint.

In 2016 Twitter went from having no underrepresented minorities in leadership positions to having racial and ethnic minorities make up 6% of the its leadership.

While its progress is limited, Twitter says it hopes the incremental changes will have a long-term impact.

“Our commitment to inclusion and diversity is fundamental to who we are and crucial to the effectiveness of our service,” Jeffrey Siminoff, Twitter’s vice-president of inclusion and diversity wrote in a blog post, adding that "one-and-done measurements" don’t apply at the company and as such it is setting new representation goals for 2017.

Twitter's projected diversity goals for the next twelve months include a commitment to boost women and minority staff working within its walls.

"We know that the effects of our actions - many of which were new for 2016 -cannot be immediate," Siminoff continued. "We are focused on sustained efforts that will help us draw more diverse talent, create great experiences and careers, and foster a culture of belonging that fully lives up to the spirit of community on Twitter itself."

The tech community has been under pressure in recent years to make its workforce less male and white, with Facebook recently blaming a lack of talent rising up through the ranks for its poor diversity figures.

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2017/01/...ntly-white-and

Its good that there is some progress towards diversity, but this progress is too slow. It seems like Twitter is dragging its feet. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Good God!

Who could give a ****, really?

ReputationRep:
    Are you planning on spamming TSR this evening with "shocking" diversity statistics for various institutions?

(Original post by viffer)
    Are you planning on spamming TSR this evening with "shocking" diversity statistics for various institutions?
    No, but I don't think this sort of news should be brushed under the carpet, so to speak. Racism comes in many forms, and unconscious bias is one of them. There is sadly a lot of racial bias on TSR, and they need to realise how hard life is for non-whites.

ReputationRep:
    It always confuses me when people complain about a "lack of women" in technology careers, for example, but nobody ever complains about a "lack of men" in nursing, for example.

Seems like society is quite inconsistent on these issues.

I don't really think diversity in itself matters much, as long as the recruitment system is fair and without bias.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    No, but I don't think this sort of news should be brushed under the carpet, so to speak. Racism comes in many forms, and unconscious bias is one of them. There is sadly a lot of racial bias on TSR, and they need to realise how hard life is for non-whites.
    You're full of ****.

You do it because you like the yummy feeling you get in your tummy when you show the world just how compassionate you are.

ReputationRep:
    "Diversity goals"? What a load of rubbish. They should be picking people based off of merit, not off of some PC agenda.

ReputationRep:
    I frankly couldn't care less if Twitter wanted all 140 of their characters to be IC1s but thanks for the heads up

ReputationRep:
    Attitudes like this are what creates racism. Why on earth should there be an equal number of all races in the workplace when they don't make up an equal number of a country's population? You have no right to a job over someone else just because of your skin colour - thinking you do is racist towards everyone else. Here's an idea - let's employ the person most skilled for the job regardless of race or gender.

ReputationRep:
    I would be more interested in the break up of democrats to republicans in the roles.

Do you think it is racist to hire the best person for the job if there is someone who will meet a quota for you?

This is why twitter is failing by hiring people for race not ability.

ReputationRep:

Quick hypothetical:

The person you love most in the world is in need of a life saving operation of a highly complex nature, there are two teams of surgeons you can choose from to carry out the operation.

Team A: Picked to meet equality quotas.

Team B. Picked on the basis of their skills and experience.

Which team would you pick?

(Original post by joe cooley)
    Quick hypothetical:

The person you love most in the world is in need of a life saving operation of a highly complex nature, there are two teams of surgeons you can choose from to carry out the operation.

Team A: Picked to meet equality quotas.

Team B. Picked on the basis of their skills and experience.

Which team would you pick?
    Given a choice between an all-white team, and a diverse team, I would choose the diverse team. I don't think the white team would necessarily be more skilled or experienced, but diversity is good because a more diverse set of people are more likely to notice different things, because they won't have overlapping blind spots.

ReputationRep:
    Given a choice between an all-white team, and a diverse team, I would choose the diverse team. I don't think the white team would necessarily be more skilled or experienced, but diversity is good because a more diverse set of people are more likely to notice different things, because they won't have overlapping blind spots.
    Why not answer the actual question?
    The best qualified team or a team based on a quota system instead?

(Original post by joecphillips)
    Why not answer the actual question?
    The best qualified team or a team based on a quota system instead?
    Yes, I'd choose the best qualified team, but I'd argue that quotas help increase qualifications, by accounting for the natural bias of the predominantly white employers.

ReputationRep:
    All white team?

No one mentioned an all white team.

OMG!!!!!

You assumed that the team picked for their skills and experience was all white.

I am sure you referred to unconscious bias earlier.

You nasty racist swine you.

Priceless,
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    And this matters why?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you used to be massively right wing? What happened?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'd choose the best qualified team, but I'd argue that quotas help increase qualifications, by accounting for the natural bias of the predominantly white employers.
    So you would argue in favour of hiring based on race rather than qualifications and ability? and you assume that because employers are mainly whit they are racist

Saying you agree with quotas which go directly against the best qualified team idea and what MLK stood for "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

ReputationRep:
    I've read it a few times but I'm not sure that was one of the options in the question you were asked

ReputationRep:
    This is a totally a stupid thing to say, 10 white people vs 10 gay and black and some from africa and some from china. The only real difference in skill If that situation was presented to me I would choose the best team, I dont care if twitters staff is 70% black if they can prove that they chose the best.

In that situation it is not like someone is going to go "Oh I am Indian and due to that I have to know X or Y" How would a more diverse team notice more compared to a more skilled team

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.