Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Twitter beats its 2016 diversity goals but its workforce is still predominantly white Watch

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    and me :huff:

He triggers me so much :mad:
    How have I triggered you? I thought you were a centre-right progressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinatraa)
    All these people who are against diversity quotas and for merit are essentially saying that the reason why corporations are predominantly white is because white people are better at the job. That's unconscious and racial bias, the same thing corporations want to tackle. From a graduate prospective people of colour are quickly becoming highly educated at such an astonishing which is reflected from statistics such as those from ivy leagues.
    Corporations in sub Saharan Africa are predominantly black because............

Go on, have a guess.

(Original post by joe cooley)

Go on, have a guess.
    They used to be predominantly white during the colonial era. It was only because of decolonisation legislation (usually involving quotas) that companies went into the hands of the natives.

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
      Thank God you are here, now you can argue my side.
      Meh
      Don't like diversity quotas because it feels like we're being babied and if there's one thing I dislike more than racism it's white people babying me.

(Original post by StrawbAri)
      Meh
      Don't like diversity quotas because it feels like we're being babied and if there's one thing I dislike more than racism it's white people babying me.
      Damn

I hereby concede defeat.

I will never forget this betrayal :cry2:

ReputationRep:
      How have I triggered you? I thought you were a centre-right progressive.
      -___________-

First time I have been called that.

I just said tech giants should be handed over to the workers in this thread :huff:

ReputationRep:
      It's just logic.

If white people get the better jobs in a fair job market (which you guys imply is the case) that is because there is something intrinsically superior about white people over black people. Hence white people are superior to black people. Racism.

It's just where you end up if you follow your logic.

Personally as a disgusting lefty even if that were the case I would be fine in having equality for its own sake and putting inferior black people in positions of power alongside white people. Thankfully though I don't think there is any real built in inferiority with black people. It's more to do with how society is structured.
      That's not even the issue because coloured people are becoming very educated and the black female demographic are actually the most educated group of people. The only reason why they dont get the jobs is because of institutionalised racism.

(Original post by alexschmalex)
        Literally, who gives a ****. I always see people complaining about a lack of diversity and companies making up BS to increase it, but at the end of the day why do I care of the people coding Twitter are black or white? Why do I care if my clothes from Primark were designed by a man or woman? Why do I care if the person at customer services is gay or straight? It's all stupid imo. Jobs should go to people who earn them not to fill out spreadsheets in a press release

Which black people are even applying to work for Twitter anyways? Can't give a job to someone not trying to get it. My black ass sure wouldn't wanna work there

Too true
        Tryna become a millionaire before 30 and these people talmbout working for twitter

Damn I hereby concede defeat. I will never forget this betrayal
        Pls forgive :cry2:

ReputationRep:

Go on, have a guess.
        Don't give me your self superior attitude, remember what happened last time, you made yourself look like a right fool.

Give the point straight to me or you can **** off.

It's just logic.

If white people get the better jobs in a fair job market (which you guys imply is the case) that is because there is something intrinsically superior about white people over black people. Hence white people are superior to black people. Racism.

Personally as a disgusting lefty even if that were the case I would be fine in having equality for its own sake and putting inferior black people in positions of power alongside white people. Thankfully though I don't think there is any real built in inferiority with black people. It's more to do with how society is structured that screws them over on average.
        PRSOM

ReputationRep:
        Don't give me your self superior attitude, remember what happened last time, you made yourself look like a right fool.

Give the point straight to me or you can **** off.
        Last time?

Same as this time apparently, you refused to participate.

ReputationRep:
        It's just logic.

Personally as a disgusting lefty even if that were the case I would be fine in having equality for its own sake and putting inferior black people in positions of power alongside white people. Thankfully though I don't think there is any real built in inferiority with black people. It's more to do with how society is structured that screws them over on average.
        Don't try and pin your leaps of logic on the non-racists of the world. There are myriad reasons why Twitter might not end up with a perfectly ethnically proportioned workforce. Perhaps African-Americans grow up in areas with crappy, union-destroyed schools (like the ones in Chicago). Maybe they, in general, pursue careers other than ones in the technology sector. You seem to be under the impression that, in a pure meritocracy, equity will just happen somehow. That's crazy.

ReputationRep:
        Last time?

Same as this time apparently, you refused to participate.
        I will participate if you cut the sarcasm, only intelligent people use that to patronise others

ReputationRep:
        This is an outrage!!!!!!!

The first non-white player to enter the league was Wataru Misaka in 1947. According to racial equality activist Richard Lapchick, the NBA in 2015 was composed of 74.4 percent black players, 23.3 percent white players, 1.8 percent Latino players, and 0.2 percent Asian players.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...yoOmm2gBgRJxXg

Blacks make up what, 13% of the US population but account for 75% of NBA players?

We need to organize a pointless march right now!

You would have thought our self appointed equality tzars would be all over this.

ReputationRep:
        I will participate if you cut the sarcasm, only intelligent people use that to patronise others
        Sarcasm?

I wrote:

And asked you to hazard a guess as to why..........where is the sarcasm?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jape)
        Don't try and pin your leaps of logic on the non-racists of the world. There are myriad reasons why Twitter might not end up with a perfectly ethnically proportioned workforce. Perhaps African-Americans grow up in areas with crappy, union-destroyed schools (like the ones in Chicago). Maybe they, in general, pursue careers other than ones in the technology sector. You seem to be under the impression that, in a pure meritocracy, equity will just happen somehow. That's crazy.
        Those reasons you gave are societal reasons and are hence malleable. It's then a question of ethics. I don't know about you but having black people shut out of certain industries due to crap education is not acceptable.

In a pure meritocracy equality would happen if we were all more or less the same due to how probability works. Any differences would be an expression of inherent differences between races.

I'll pin my logic wherever I like thanks. I think a lot of people are racist. It is just it is now not acceptable to identify as a racist hence people don't like being called it. People know racism is bad without actually knowing what racism means.

ReputationRep:
        Affirmative action and diversity targets are incredibly stupid. They're by definition discriminatory but the discrimination just happens to be against the majority so that's okay of course. When applying for jobs, the better applicant should get the job, that's it. It's simple. Diversity isn't inherently a good thing. Specifically hiring women and minorities is sexist towards men and racist towards whites. But of course "white men" are the problem. When will people realise that you can't force minorities and women to do certain jobs for the sake of diversity. Rejecting a male/white candidate just so you can hire a female/minority applicant is discriminating against someone people of their sex and skin colour.

What Twitter is doing is sexist and racist, there's no two ways about it. At the end of the day, they're denying people jobs because of the colour of their skin and what's between their legs but since it white men society doesn't seem to give a crap because they've apparently had power throughout history.

Never mind, the working class' struggle to get the right to vote, no we just need to learn about how men are bad and oppressed the brave women who fought for the right to vote, because those poor as **** men who worked their entire life for their families were definitely the ones oppressing women and not the upper class who wanted less people to have power. After working class men fought for it, they had to give in but denying women the right to vote was just an attempt as keeping their power which they also had to eventually give in to. I'm not saying there wasn't sexism in the past, just that it was men oppressing women. It was more to do with the rich oppressing the poor. Dividing them by gender was a way to preserve their power by denying half the population the right to vote.

The same goes for race, I'm not denying that minorities don't face racism, from personal experience I have to say we do, but it's also just as stupid to say "all white people are racist" because that in of itself is a prejudiced conclusion based on judging an entire race of the actions of individuals, however many of these individuals there may be. And just to clarify, I'm talking about racism in today's world, not the past because there was obviously a lot of it in the past.

ReputationRep:
        This is an outrage!!!!!!!

The first non-white player to enter the league was Wataru Misaka in 1947. According to racial equality activist Richard Lapchick, the NBA in 2015 was composed of 74.4 percent black players, 23.3 percent white players, 1.8 percent Latino players, and 0.2 percent Asian players.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...yoOmm2gBgRJxXg

Blacks make up what, 13% of the US population but account for 75% of NBA players?

We need to organize a pointless march right now!

You would have thought our self appointed equality tzars would be all over this.
        Agreed! Let's force whites, Asian and Latinos to join the NBA until all of them equally represent their demographics in relation to the US. Let's bring down the number of black players from 75% to 13%, that's the only way you can truly be for equality! (obviously sarcasm)

ReputationRep:
        Those reasons you gave are societal reasons and are hence malleable. It's then a question of ethics. I don't know about you but having black people shut out of certain industries due to crap education is not acceptable.
        Nobody's being "shut out". It's just a fact that education in certain parts of America (particularly the bits habitually run by the Democratic Party) is absolutely dire and doesn't set you up well for later life. Those areas tend to be majority-African American. So step one to improving your community (because this action will also lower crime and help increase corporate investment in your neighbourhood) is to start voting Republican.

In a pure meritocracy equality would happen if we were all more or less the same due to how probability works. Any differences would be an expression of inherent differences between races.
        That's not how probability works. You can roll a dice 600 times but it won't land on each side exactly 100 times.

I'll pin my logic wherever I like thanks. I think a lot of people are racist. It is just it is now not acceptable to identify as a racist hence people don't like being called it. People know racism is bad without actually knowing what racism means.
        This was at least a coherent point-of-view until you had to go an imply there's some nebulous definition of racism out there that loads of people fall into but are totally unaware of. Enlighten us, how did you come to the conclusion that loads of people are just closet racists?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
        It always confuses me when people complain about a "lack of women" in technology careers, for example, but nobody ever complains about a "lack of men" in nursing, for example.

Seems like society is quite inconsistent on these issues.

I don't really think diversity in itself matters much, as long as the recruitment system is fair and without bias.
        1. Do you think women being underrepresented in tech is an issue? Why?

2. Why do you have to compare a woman's issue every time to a man's issue? When your friend tells you about a problem do you listen and engage or do you start talking about how that one time you had that issue?

3. No, it seems women want to be tech but men don't want to be in nursing.

4. No ****. The point though is that cognitive bias exists...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.