Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the difference between part-time and temp jobs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I saw it in this forum and thought, what's the difference?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    part time jobs could be permanent contracted hours, temp jobs as in the name won't be/
    • Very Important Poster

P/t is a limited number of hours for an indefinite duration i.e 15 hours a week..
    Temporary is for a limited duration i.e 6 months

You can ofc get both together p/t and temp or neither full time and perm.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Part-time work is about the number of hours you work per week, the opposite is full-time.

Temp jobs are about the duration you work for the organisation, the opposite is permanent.

So you can get part-time temporary or part-time permanent jobs, and full-time temporary and full-time permanent jobs.

Surprisingly, the clue is in the name!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Part-time work is about the number of hours you work per week, the opposite is full-time.

Temp jobs are about the duration you work for the organisation, the opposite is permanent.

So you can get part-time temporary or part-time permanent jobs, and full-time temporary and full-time permanent jobs.

Surprisingly, the clue is in the name!
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    Part-time is a limited amount of hours you work as opposed to full-time.

And temporary is the duration of how long you work at a company for i.e for 6 months. But with temporary there is a chance of becoming permanent..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Full time means all the time so you don't get breaks, but part time means part of the time so you do get breaks, such a tea breaks, lunch breaks. Full time is good for people who don't like to eat at work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsedobbin)
    Full time means all the time so you don't get breaks, but part time means part of the time so you do get breaks, such a tea breaks, lunch breaks. Full time is good for people who don't like to eat at work.
    You legally do get breaks if you have a full time contract and do a certain amount of hours per shift. Same as a part timer (obviously ). I do part time hours during term time as I'm a student, sometimes I do shifts where I need a break, other times just short shifts. But during the holidays I get full time hours and if I do a long shift I get a break, and full timers at my work get breaks too..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsedobbin)
    Lol sorry what? Full time means working a 35+ hour work week, usually 8 hours a day where you get a lunch break
    Part time is usually 4-30 hours per week and you get a break and a lunch depending on how long the shift is..

ReputationRep:
    A part time job is less than 35 hours a week.

A temporary job means you will only have the job until a set date.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.