Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A172 - Referendum Location Amendment Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Referendum Location Amendment
    Proposed by: Quamquam123 MP (LAB)
    Seconded by: mobbsy91 (CON), DMcGovern (SOC), Unown Uzer (UKIP), TheDefiniteArticle (LAB), notneb (LAB)

Referendum Location Amendment

This House shall adjust the Guidance Document as follows:

In the Guidance Document, amend clause 3 of the Referendums section from:

3) A thread will be posted in Current Affairs along with a poll posing the question to the members of TSR.

to:

3) A thread will be posted in the House of Commons forum along with a poll posing the question to the members of TSR.

Notes:
    Other legislation debates, general elections and by-elections take place in the MHoC forum so there is no reason why referendum debates should take place in a different forum.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Somebody trying to stifle turnout?

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Referendums have previously succeeded in bringing new members into the House and getting involved those who'd never normally venture into the MHoC or participate in debates. They've worked well for that purpose and I see no reason to change it.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Given there will presumably now be a mass PM, and hopefully a sidebar poll, I question how much difference moving it would make. It just keeps it all tidy, and corresponds with where we carry out general elections.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, it is an amendment to prevent referendums by ruling referendums should take place in a forum that does not exist.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, it is an amendment to prevent referendums by ruling referendums should take place in a forum that does not exist.
    How does it not exist?

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I think, as others have said, this would reduce turnout which isn't a good thing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned this internally already, but what exactly is the motivation of reducing the turnout? Do the proposers expect a specific effect on the result of the potentially upcoming Death Penalty referendum?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    How does it not exist?
    Link us to the (sub) forum titled "House of Commons"

ReputationRep:
    How does it not exist?
    Ooh that's true, it says "House of Commons Subforum" should be "Model House of Commons subforum" if we're being pedantic

I assume this'll be amended for vote QQ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Link us to the (sub) forum titled "House of Commons"
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Ooh that's true, it says "House of Commons Subforum" should be "Model House of Commons subforum" if we're being pedantic

I assume this'll be amended for vote QQ?
    According to the GD, all bills are posted in the House of Commons subforum so it must exist otherwise we would never have any bills.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    How does it not exist?
    A House of Commons forum does not exist but a Model House of Commons forum does exist.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    According to the GD, all bills are posted in the House of Commons subforum so it must exist otherwise we would never have any bills.
    Past negligence does not justify negligence.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Past negligence does not justify negligence.
    I did think about what to call it at the time but I looked through the GD and saw that it had been called the 'House of Commons' forum. However, if you really insist, I can change it for Division.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I did think about what to call it at the time but I looked through the GD and saw that it had been called the 'House of Commons' forum. However, if you really insist, I can change it for Division.
    :sheep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :sheep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    nay

ReputationRep:
    Based on the argument, nay.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If we have to have this stupid referendum let's at least have some turnout

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.