Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A172 - Referendum Location Amendment Watch

ReputationRep:
    nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to make three points about this amendment. Firstly, if the referendum can be turned into a sidebar poll, turnout will most likely be unaffected by whether it is in the Current Affairs forum or the MHoC forum. Secondly, we should be doing what we can to bring activity from Current Affairs into the MHoC, not the other way round. As this amendment points out, by holding public events in the MHoC, it gives new members a chance to explore and it could even tempt them to join a party. A single MHoC-related debate in Current Affairs will not have the same effect. Thirdly, this referendum is a feature of the MHoC, proposed by a member of the MHoC and its result will affect the MHoC. It is nonsensical therefore that it would take place anywhere else.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I'd just like to make three points about this amendment. Firstly, if the referendum can be turned into a sidebar poll, turnout will most likely be unaffected by whether it is in the Current Affairs forum or the MHoC forum. Secondly, we should be doing what we can to bring activity from Current Affairs into the MHoC, not the other way round. As this amendment points out, by holding public events in the MHoC, it gives new members a chance to explore and it could even tempt them to join a party. A single MHoC-related debate in Current Affairs will not have the same effect. Thirdly, this referendum is a feature of the MHoC, proposed by a member of the MHoC and its result will affect the MHoC. It is nonsensical therefore that it would take place anywhere else.
    I believe the 1st argument is rubbish because we very rarely get a sidebar poll and if we were to then we could get one regardless of the forum used so it's no justification for changing forums. The 3rd argument is even worse - especially coming from someone who supports the Wikia and other ways in which the MHoC might branch out far further than the Current Affairs forum. Indeed, there's no reason why MHoC matters shouldn't be able to leak into the main forum and there is precedent for initiatives to do that (including the holding of referenda).

All that said, the 2nd argument is compelling and barring a superior counter argument from someone else I will vote in favour based on the strength of that argument. It is a shame you didn't stick with that alone though.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I can see the logic, but I'm not sure there's a point in having referenda (not that there is much of the time anyway) which are just in the Model House of Commons subforum. The idea of a referendum is that people other than MHoCers vote on it, and non-MHoCers come into this subforum much less than they might the Current Affairs one. If a referendum is going to be here, then we might as well just debate a bill on the issue in question and have done with it.
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I'd just like to make three points about this amendment. Firstly, if the referendum can be turned into a sidebar poll, turnout will most likely be unaffected by whether it is in the Current Affairs forum or the MHoC forum.
    This is a very big if. As Ray said above, there is precedent for there not being a sidebar poll. You have to remember that we are a mere speck on the CT's radar, and a rather annoying one at that - they have bigger priorities, and more often than not they seem to approach MHoC-related issues with the mindset of 'What is the quickest way of shutting the pesky pretend parliament weirdos up?' rather than 'What is best for MHoC?'.
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, it is an amendment to prevent referendums by ruling referendums should take place in a forum that does not exist.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Link us to the (sub) forum titled "House of Commons"
    I take it that being the upstanding, rule-abiding MHoCers you are, neither of you will be submitting or voting or debating on any bills, motions or amendments until this issue has been rectified.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Nay, we'll have more chance of people seeing it in the Current Affairs forum.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Abstain.

Although i do believe that we should draw people in house (and indeed i was responsible for bringing the general elections back here) i also agree with Ray regarding turnout. Unlike general elections where there's something at stake, referenda are simple areas of policy.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye - This is a good amendment from my colleague Quamquam123
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    nay, could result in loss of turnout and the obvious proverb: if it ain't broke don't fix it!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Abstain

ReputationRep:
    Guys, the only purpose of these referenda is to raise awareness of the MHoC. Do you want to make them completely useless?

How about a poll in the side bar with a link to the MHoC forum? I could vote for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Guys, the only purpose of these referenda is to raise awareness of the MHoC. Do you want to make them completely useless?

How about a poll in the side bar with a link to the MHoC forum? I could vote for that.
    vote nay.
    This will reduce turnout!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This item is in cessation!
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    This has been withdrawn

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.