Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The misery for Southern Rail commuters looks like it could get even worse. The Secretary of State for Transport receives news from the RMT Union that all Southern Rail conductors will double the amount of sporadic strikes they take and will continue doing this until they get what they want which is the following:

- For Southern Rail to allow them to operate the doors.
    - A 10% increase in their pay.
    - Guaranteed job security.

The Southern Rail dispute has cost people their jobs, contributed to a rise in the number of people treated for stress, and general misery for everyone who uses the trains. Some stations are even completely out of action due to the lack of conductors and replacement bus services are running instead.

Despite the 2016 Railways Bill, Southern Rail is still the only rail operator in the region where it operates, meaning it has a dangerous monopoly. Following several failed talks between Southern Rail and the RMT, travel disruption on the rails is set to continue at an increased rate if the Government does not intervene.

The Department for Transport has also been notified that tube drivers will take part in indefinite strike action from 5 February until April at the earliest, due to their discontent of the closure of ticket offices and job cuts. This industrial action has brought London to a standstill, a region that is utterly dependent on an efficient underground service and is expected to cost the country in the region of £300m.

What action should the Government take?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    inb4nationaliseeverything

ReputationRep:
    So who's given the unions a pot of gold for these strikes? Or have the workers' suddenly embraced a revolutionary spirit and put their politics above feeding their families and keeping a roof over their heads?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This is the cause for my earlier question, the Crisis Committee are having one of their weird, unrealistic moments again where they think indefinite striking is realistic, fun to debate, and makes for a good crisis.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    This is the cause for my earlier question, the Crisis Committee are having one of their weird, unrealistic moments again where they think indefinite striking is realistic, fun to debate, and makes for a good crisis.
    It's not indefinite striking. It's doubled striking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    It's not indefinite striking. It's doubled striking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As the Crisis Committee Chairman it is your job to read the crisis before submitting it: this crisis uses indefinite strike action.

(Original post by Crisis 09)
    The Department for Transport has also been notified that tube drivers will take part in indefinite strike action from 5 February

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, a wonder what a hard left government is gonna do about this...

"NATIONALISE MUH OXYGEN!!"

top kek.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad crisis and somewhat semi realistic but my question is How will the pay rise be funded ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    > nationalise
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    As the Crisis Committee Chairman it is your job to read the crisis before submitting it; this crisis uses indefinite strike action.
    Apologies, I thought you were still talking about the Southern Rail part given the concerns you raised in the CC sub forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just look at the mess you get in with privatisation! tut tut...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Not a bad crisis and somewhat semi realistic but my question is How will the pay rise be funded ?
    Shhhhhhh, don't tell the unions that the employers don't have a bottomless profit pit
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Introduce a national competitor so to speak, providing chepaer fares, providing jobs, and running at just above cost price.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    The misery for Southern Rail commuters looks like it could get even worse. The Secretary of State for Transport receives news from the RMT Union that all Southern Rail conductors will double the amount of sporadic strikes they take and will continue doing this until they get what they want which is the following:

- For Southern Rail to allow them to operate the doors.
    - A 10% increase in their pay.
    - Guaranteed job security.

The Southern Rail dispute has cost people their jobs, contributed to a rise in the number of people treated for stress, and general misery for everyone who uses the trains. Some stations are even completely out of action due to the lack of conductors and replacement bus services are running instead.

Despite the 2016 Railways Bill, Southern Rail is still the only rail operator in the region where it operates, meaning it has a dangerous monopoly. Following several failed talks between Southern Rail and the RMT, travel disruption on the rails is set to continue at an increased rate if the Government does not intervene.

The Department for Transport has also been notified that tube drivers will take part in indefinite strike action from 5 February until April at the earliest, due to their discontent of the closure of ticket offices and job cuts. This industrial action has brought London to a standstill, a region that is utterly dependent on an efficient underground service and is expected to cost the country in the region of £300m.

What action should the Government take?

Southern are dealing with this so badly.
    These OBS aren't meeting the demands of the RMT and Southern have "tried" to secure jobs. I do not know about the increase in pay.

It's terrible. Me, my Dad and his pals at work who commute everyday are currently awaiting numerous delay repay compensation vouchers - apparently they are giving a rather larger one due to the numerous days of absolutely no service. Abysmal but money

We do need to intervene, it is just to what extent?
    The RMT are being extremely stubborn and Southern are just handling the whole thing a bit badly.
    Southern is frankly a franchise that needs to be taken over by a more competent workforce that also incorporates that of the tracks and signals that I mentioned somewhere else (possibly last term).

:I Due to the "forced displacement of staff" - RMT.

It is obvious that some form of intervention is needed, as far as nationalisation hmmm...

Something I read last week on this can be found here.

ReputationRep:
    good scenario!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Nationalise the rail service
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The unions are being entirely unreasonable - DOO trains are safe, and Southern conductors are using it as an excuse in my eyes - the damage they're doing to the economy by striking is far more severe than what stupidity they're complaining about, and they should now be sacked and replaced with people who would actually appreciate having a job and being paid a wage which is probably what some people would only dream for!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    The unions are being entirely unreasonable - DOO trains are safe, and Southern conductors are using it as an excuse in my eyes - the damage they're doing to the economy by striking is far more severe than what stupidity they're complaining about, and they should now be sacked and replaced with people who would actually appreciate having a job and being paid a wage which is probably what some people would only dream for!
    They are being extremely stubborn. DOO work and are safe but not safer. Agreed it is not really justified for them to be causing so much chaos over something like this. Not sure sacking would be the best idea though but this is true
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    They are being extremely stubborn. DOO work and are safe but not safer. Agreed it is not really justified for them to be causing so much chaos over something like this. Not sure sacking would be the best idea though but this is true
    Nope, but then is it less safe for DOOs... other operators, namely Thameslink, who run services that are almost identical, don't seem to have problems, and they're both run by Govia!!! The epitome of stupidity in my eyes

Haha, well, I think there does come a point when you have to say, you have been on strike for this long, and we have people who would do anything for your job... if you don't appreciate it, piss off
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I already introduced and passed legislation which will strip southern of its franchise after two years of failing targets. I propose that the government waits for that and then automates the doors anyway sacking the striking workers.

Southern are punished for their incompetence and lack of resolve while the unions are punished for the damage they have needlessly done to commuters.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.