Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Introduce a national competitor so to speak, providing chepaer fares, providing jobs, and running at just above cost price.
    Already did so..

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4231754

Current Mhoc law and i believe it won bill of the term.

(Original post by Kyx)
    Nationalise the rail service
    No need. You already voted Aye to my bill containing the current relevant provisions..

(2) Franchises would be reviewed every two years and revoked if punctuality, reliability or overcrowding targets are not met.
    (3) Aforementioned targets are to be clearly defined by the Office for Rail Regulation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Already did so..

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4231754

Current Mhoc law and i believe it won bill of the term.

No need. You already voted Aye to my bill containing the current relevant provisions..

(2) Franchises would be reviewed every two years and revoked if punctuality, reliability or overcrowding targets are not met.
    (3) Aforementioned targets are to be clearly defined by the Office for Rail Regulation.
    The CC doesn't appear to care.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    The CC doesn't appear to care.
    The CC has put forward a scenario. It is your governments response which will have to bear the law in mind when responding (actually makes your response pretty easy subject to finding out what their targets are and whether its been two years yet).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The CC has put forward a scenario. It is your governments response which will have to bear the law in mind when responding (actually makes your response pretty easy subject to finding out what their targets are and whether its been two years yet).
    Perhaps I'm misremembering your bill but wouldn't 2 years need to have passed since said bill was enacted? Surely that's a long way away.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Perhaps I'm misremembering your bill but wouldn't 2 years need to have passed since said bill was enacted? Surely that's a long way away.
    The bill did not state whether the reviews start now or in two years.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The bill did not state whether the reviews start now or in two years.
    Have reviewed the Act. Looks like we have a review to conduct.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I already introduced and passed legislation which will strip southern of its franchise after two years of failing targets. I propose that the government waits for that and then automates the doors anyway sacking the striking workers.

Southern are punished for their incompetence and lack of resolve while the unions are punished for the damage they have needlessly done to commuters.
    We did bear in mind your bill when creating this bill, hence why we said 'despite the 2016 Railways Bill, Southern Rail is still the only rail operator in the region where it operate.' So in theory, the government has the option of expanding this bill. inserting another clause into it or as has been mentioned, carrying out a review.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    As I've discussed internally, I believe that both sides need to sit around the table and talk through concerns and reach a fair agreement over what needs to be addressed. Also, Southern must ensure they run a reliable service.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aslef reaches deal with Southern to avert strikes
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aslef's not the main problem though sadly.

ReputationRep:
    Nice unbiased representation of workers striking here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Aslef's not the main problem though sadly.
    Wasn't it the TUC that negotiated here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Wasn't it the TUC that negotiated here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A deal has been reached between Southern Rail and Aslef, the train driver's union. Sadly though, they haven't been the main problem. The RMT have been behind most of the disruption and talks between them and Southern Rail have broken down very quickly on several occasions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The debate time for this crisis has ended!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.