Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of dropping A-Levels? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in my first year of doing my A-Levels after leaving school with my GCSEs in the summer.

I am considering dropping A-Levels because I'm not enjoying them and I only picked them because I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time. At first when I started, everything was ok but as the months past, I became less motivated and down at times which resulted in me skipping days/classes. I'm not sure if I should continue or drop out and do something else?

I have looked into courses at another college and apprenticeships recently and these would be something I'd like to do if I do drop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mashu1029)
    Hi, I'm currently in my first year of doing my A-Levels after leaving school with my GCSEs in the summer.

I am considering dropping A-Levels because I'm not enjoying them and I only picked them because I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time. At first when I started, everything was ok but as the months past, I became less motivated and down at times which resulted in me skipping days/classes. I'm not sure if I should continue or drop out and do something else?

I have looked into courses at another college and apprenticeships recently and these would be something I'd like to do if I do drop out.
    You have only got like 5 months left anyway and it will be over and done with 😊 What courses do you want to take at another college? 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elena 365)
    You have only got like 5 months left anyway and it will be over and done with 😊 What courses do you want to take at another college? 😊
    Yes I do have like 5 months left but then I'll have to do A2 next year (If I get the grades to get on to A2). The courses I was looking into were business courses

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do have like 5 months left but then I'll have to do A2 next year (If I get the grades to get on to A2). The courses I was looking into were business courses
    Business sounds great and you can find lots of apprenticeships online for it too! If you do decide to drop out of A-levels make sure that you are fully satisfied with your decision and that you definitely don't want to carry on. But if you still feel like your not sure I would recommend doing your first year of A-levels and seeing what grades you get. If you don't do well then you can decide whether or not to drop out. If you do it this way you will have another set of grades to put on your CV. Also you never know you might do really well at your A Levels 😃

ReputationRep:
    Business sounds great and you can find lots of apprenticeships online for it too! If you do decide to drop out of A-levels make sure that you are fully satisfied with your decision and that you definitely don't want to carry on. But if you still feel like your not sure I would recommend doing your first year of A-levels and seeing what grades you get. If you don't do well then you can decide whether or not to drop out. If you do it this way you will have another set of grades to put on your CV. Also you never know you might do really well at your A Levels 😃
    I think more likely to do an apprenticeship if I drop out. As for staying, I'm not sure if I'll end up getting decent grades as from my mocks I got a D & U, still waiting for my other subject to mark my mock. :/

ReputationRep:
    I think more likely to do an apprenticeship if I drop out. As for staying, I'm not sure if I'll end up getting decent grades as from my mocks I got a D & U, still waiting for my other subject to mark my mock. :/
    What you got in your mocks does not matter especially when you have only just started doing your courses. I know a lot of people who got really bad grades like E's and U's in their mocks and in the real exam they ended up getting lots of A's and all their friends and teachers were so surprised and so proud. Even I didn't get very good grades in my mocks and didn't even get higher than a C in any of my subjects so didn't anyone in my classes. This is because we have only just started our first year of A-levels and you should never let what you got in your mocks determine what you are going to get at the real exam. After all you're teachers have not even covered all the content yet. Also you still have lots of time to revise and a chance of getting Really good grades and going to university!! 😊😊 Trust me in my sixth form literally hardly anyone ends up coming to lessons and they have days off or are late to class nearly every day (no ones perfect).
    Despite all this people do still end up getting good grades and applying to university. If you have textbooks for your classes you can study from them all the time and still get good grades even if you don't attend classes or get bad grades in your mocks. You can print off past papers that are the same as in your mocks and practice them at home in your own time and mark them to see what grade you get, there is always time to improve no matter how bad you perform in college!
    Always remember to NEVER GIVE UP
    and that PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!! 😀😀😀

ReputationRep:
    What you got in your mocks does not matter especially when you have only just started doing your courses. I know a lot of people who got really bad grades like E's and U's in their mocks and in the real exam they ended up getting lots of A's and all their friends and teachers were so surprised and so proud. Even I didn't get very good grades in my mocks and didn't even get higher than a C in any of my subjects so didn't anyone in my classes. This is because we have only just started our first year of A-levels and you should never let what you got in your mocks determine what you are going to get at the real exam. After all you're teachers have not even covered all the content yet. Also you still have lots of time to revise and a chance of getting Really good grades and going to university!! 😊😊 Trust me in my sixth form literally hardly anyone ends up coming to lessons and they have days off or are late to class nearly every day (no ones perfect).
    Despite all this people do still end up getting good grades and applying to university. If you have textbooks for your classes you can study from them all the time and still get good grades even if you don't attend classes or get bad grades in your mocks. You can print off past papers that are the same as in your mocks and practice them at home in your own time and mark them to see what grade you get, there is always time to improve no matter how bad you perform in college!
    Always remember to NEVER GIVE UP
    and that PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!!!! 😀😀😀
    Thanks for replying, it has given me more things to consider I will give myself more time to decide whether I should drop out or not

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying, it has given me more things to consider I will give myself more time to decide whether I should drop out or not
    Your very welcome! Good luck☘

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.