Do you have to be good at programming for CompSci Degree

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
See the edit Penguin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
When I applied they wanted near 300 points:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think its dependant on age, I applied to Hull and Huddersfield last year with zero UCAS points (certHE doesn't give UCAS for some reason and no A-levels), went with Huddersfield in the end as I liked the campus better.
Reply 42
Well this thread is annoying

I wanted to do compsci in sixthform but i didn't have the first clue of how to code at all so i did economics instead.
Original post by Yaboi
Well this thread is annoying

I wanted to do compsci in sixthform but i didn't have the first clue of how to code at all so i did economics instead.

You don't need CompSci A-level to do it at degree level though... or even a CS undergrad to do a CS Masters!
Reply 44
Original post by SeanFM
You don't need CompSci A-level to do it at degree level though... or even a CS undergrad to do a CS Masters!

meant for my degree while i was at sixthform sorry, i was good at math but always thought you needed some background in coding otherwise the course material would be too difficult so i went with econ instead.

Such is life i guess.
Original post by Yaboi
meant for my degree while i was at sixthform sorry, i was good at math but always thought you needed some background in coding otherwise the course material would be too difficult so i went with econ instead.

Such is life i guess.

Ah i see. Still, you can do a Masters in it if you wanted to and if it were useful to you.
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Sometimes I regret it too. The logical part of programming is mind boring numbing at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i am just sick of programming now
Reply 47
Original post by loooopppyyy
I think its dependant on age, I applied to Hull and Huddersfield last year with zero UCAS points (certHE doesn't give UCAS for some reason and no A-levels), went with Huddersfield in the end as I liked the campus better.

Tbf I came straight outta college (no gap years), so that probably raised expectations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
See the edit Penguin

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see - did you apply for the integrated masters by any chance?
Reply 49
Original post by Killerpenguin15
I see - did you apply for the integrated masters by any chance?

Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by loooopppyyy
This thread makes my eyes bleed, can't believe what I'm seeing.

If you take Computer Science, you should expect Math and Programming to be involved, these elements are kind of the staples of 95% of all Comp Sci courses.

*Or at least any Comp Sci course worth doing...

there are some courses at lower unis in Computing that allow students to drop all Maths and Programming modules after their first year :O

I am in third year Comp Sci and haven't really had a single module yet where i haven't had to do some form of maths or programming.
Reply 51
Original post by Killerpenguin15
You don't need an A level in Maths or any preliminary education above GCSE level to go to a good university to read Computer Science. However at university they may teach you the maths related to CompSci which would later feed into specific modules in years 2 and 3/4 of your degree.

Not true re St Andrews, here is one compulsory year 1 course where Maths is a prerequisite.

I also understand the honours course, also compulsory, CS4052 Logic and Software Verification , needs Maths ability-my son had to work pretty hard on the latter as his Higher Maths, plus outside subject year one Math university course, did not fully equip him, in fact his honours course mark re LSV was really the difference between his 2:1 and a possible 1st.

CS1002 Object-Oriented Programming

COTCAT Credits: 20 SCQF Level 7 Semester: 1 Academic year: 2017/8 & 2018/9 Planned timetable: 3.00 pm Mon and Tue

This module covers problem-solving skills, object-oriented modelling and programming. Programming exercises include object-oriented modelling, computer graphics and data structures. Programme module type: Compulsory for Computer Science BSc, Joint Computer Science degrees, Computer Science MSci, Computer Science (Gateway) programme

Pre-requisite(s): Mathematics (Higher or A-Level at Grade A) Anti-requisite(s): CS2101 Required for: CS1003, CS1006, CS2001, CS2006 Learning and teaching methods and delivery: Weekly contact: 4 lectures, 1 tutorial and 1 x 3-hour practical class.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/publications/coursecatalogue/undergraduate/2017-2018/CompSci-1000&2000.pdf

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/publications/coursecatalogue/undergraduate/2017-2018/CompSci-Honours.pdf
You don't need to be good before you start, but they will expect you to be at least passable by the time you finish :tongue:
Original post by DJKL
Not true re St Andrews, here is one compulsory year 1 course where Maths is a prerequisite.

I also understand the honours course, also compulsory, CS4052 Logic and Software Verification , needs Maths ability-my son had to work pretty hard on the latter as his Higher Maths, plus outside subject year one Math university course, did not fully equip him, in fact his honours course mark re LSV was really the difference between his 2:1 and a possible 1st.

CS1002 Object-Oriented Programming

COTCAT Credits: 20 SCQF Level 7 Semester: 1 Academic year: 2017/8 & 2018/9 Planned timetable: 3.00 pm Mon and Tue

This module covers problem-solving skills, object-oriented modelling and programming. Programming exercises include object-oriented modelling, computer graphics and data structures. Programme module type: Compulsory for Computer Science BSc, Joint Computer Science degrees, Computer Science MSci, Computer Science (Gateway) programme

Pre-requisite(s): Mathematics (Higher or A-Level at Grade A) Anti-requisite(s): CS2101 Required for: CS1003, CS1006, CS2001, CS2006 Learning and teaching methods and delivery: Weekly contact: 4 lectures, 1 tutorial and 1 x 3-hour practical class.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/publications/coursecatalogue/undergraduate/2017-2018/CompSci-1000&2000.pdf

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/publications/coursecatalogue/undergraduate/2017-2018/CompSci-Honours.pdf

St Andrews is just one example out of many fantastic universities which offer Computer Science. And also one of the few which actually do require Maths A level. It's really down to the course content and the quality of applicants that enter through to the course. Any good CompSci course that doesn't require maths will, in most cases, teach you Maths (and even possibly some concepts of FM) to A level standard at least so you can grasp more advanced concepts as you progress through your degree.

And if they do require A level maths? Great for them, they can start teaching those very ideas earlier on in the degree can't they?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending