Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killerpenguin15)
    What do you mean? Uni of Hull is something like, 39th on the league table, last time I checked?

Maybe top 40 University then
    When I applied they wanted near 300 points

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    When I applied they wanted near 200 points

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's strange! When I applied they wanted 280 points across all my subjects, and I applied last year.

When did you apply?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    See the edit Penguin

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I applied they wanted near 300 points

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think its dependant on age, I applied to Hull and Huddersfield last year with zero UCAS points (certHE doesn't give UCAS for some reason and no A-levels), went with Huddersfield in the end as I liked the campus better.

ReputationRep:
    Well this thread is annoying

I wanted to do compsci in sixthform but i didn't have the first clue of how to code at all so i did economics instead.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    Well this thread is annoying

I wanted to do compsci in sixthform but i didn't have the first clue of how to code at all so i did economics instead.
    You don't need CompSci A-level to do it at degree level though... or even a CS undergrad to do a CS Masters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    You don't need CompSci A-level to do it at degree level though... or even a CS undergrad to do a CS Masters!
    meant for my degree while i was at sixthform sorry, i was good at math but always thought you needed some background in coding otherwise the course material would be too difficult so i went with econ instead.

Such is life i guess.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    meant for my degree while i was at sixthform sorry, i was good at math but always thought you needed some background in coding otherwise the course material would be too difficult so i went with econ instead.

Such is life i guess.
    Ah i see. Still, you can do a Masters in it if you wanted to and if it were useful to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdling_CompSci)
    Sometimes I regret it too. The logical part of programming is mind boring numbing at times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i am just sick of programming now
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    I think its dependant on age, I applied to Hull and Huddersfield last year with zero UCAS points (certHE doesn't give UCAS for some reason and no A-levels), went with Huddersfield in the end as I liked the campus better.
    Tbf I came straight outta college (no gap years), so that probably raised expectations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    See the edit Penguin

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see - did you apply for the integrated masters by any chance?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I see - did you apply for the integrated masters by any chance?
    Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    This thread makes my eyes bleed, can't believe what I'm seeing.

If you take Computer Science, you should expect Math and Programming to be involved, these elements are kind of the staples of 95% of all Comp Sci courses.
    *Or at least any Comp Sci course worth doing...

there are some courses at lower unis in Computing that allow students to drop all Maths and Programming modules after their first year :O

I am in third year Comp Sci and haven't really had a single module yet where i haven't had to do some form of maths or programming.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need an A level in Maths or any preliminary education above GCSE level to go to a good university to read Computer Science. However at university they may teach you the maths related to CompSci which would later feed into specific modules in years 2 and 3/4 of your degree.
    Not true re St Andrews, here is one compulsory year 1 course where Maths is a prerequisite.

I also understand the honours course, also compulsory, CS4052 Logic and Software Verification , needs Maths ability-my son had to work pretty hard on the latter as his Higher Maths, plus outside subject year one Math university course, did not fully equip him, in fact his honours course mark re LSV was really the difference between his 2:1 and a possible 1st.

CS1002 Object-Oriented Programming

COTCAT Credits: 20 SCQF Level 7 Semester: 1 Academic year: 2017/8 & 2018/9 Planned timetable: 3.00 pm Mon and Tue

This module covers problem-solving skills, object-oriented modelling and programming. Programming exercises include object-oriented modelling, computer graphics and data structures. Programme module type: Compulsory for Computer Science BSc, Joint Computer Science degrees, Computer Science MSci, Computer Science (Gateway) programme

Pre-requisite(s): Mathematics (Higher or A-Level at Grade A) Anti-requisite(s): CS2101 Required for: CS1003, CS1006, CS2001, CS2006 Learning and teaching methods and delivery: Weekly contact: 4 lectures, 1 tutorial and 1 x 3-hour practical class.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/p...-1000&2000.pdf

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/p...ci-Honours.pdf
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to be good before you start, but they will expect you to be at least passable by the time you finish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    Not true re St Andrews, here is one compulsory year 1 course where Maths is a prerequisite.

I also understand the honours course, also compulsory, CS4052 Logic and Software Verification , needs Maths ability-my son had to work pretty hard on the latter as his Higher Maths, plus outside subject year one Math university course, did not fully equip him, in fact his honours course mark re LSV was really the difference between his 2:1 and a possible 1st.

CS1002 Object-Oriented Programming

COTCAT Credits: 20 SCQF Level 7 Semester: 1 Academic year: 2017/8 & 2018/9 Planned timetable: 3.00 pm Mon and Tue

This module covers problem-solving skills, object-oriented modelling and programming. Programming exercises include object-oriented modelling, computer graphics and data structures. Programme module type: Compulsory for Computer Science BSc, Joint Computer Science degrees, Computer Science MSci, Computer Science (Gateway) programme

Pre-requisite(s): Mathematics (Higher or A-Level at Grade A) Anti-requisite(s): CS2101 Required for: CS1003, CS1006, CS2001, CS2006 Learning and teaching methods and delivery: Weekly contact: 4 lectures, 1 tutorial and 1 x 3-hour practical class.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/p...-1000&2000.pdf

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/p...ci-Honours.pdf
    St Andrews is just one example out of many fantastic universities which offer Computer Science. And also one of the few which actually do require Maths A level. It's really down to the course content and the quality of applicants that enter through to the course. Any good CompSci course that doesn't require maths will, in most cases, teach you Maths (and even possibly some concepts of FM) to A level standard at least so you can grasp more advanced concepts as you progress through your degree.

And if they do require A level maths? Great for them, they can start teaching those very ideas earlier on in the degree can't they?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.