Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I am looking for advice for my future.

    I am currently a mature student studying part time with the open university. After doing my level 1 modules for psychology degree, I switched degree to childhood and youth which meant I had to do another level 1 module for my new degree which I'm currently doing.

    My circumstances at home have changed, my special needs child who I care for has recently had more medical needs which means caring for him a lot more in the future than I had planned.

    Therefore, my career options have changed as I am no longer able to go out to work.

    I am wanting advice as I would like to claim the certificate of higher education in psychology that I have already done, and leave my current module but possibly thinking about starting a degree that I can make a career out of from home around my care needs, such as English Literature and creativewriting.

    What I would like to know is if I do this, would I be eligible for student finance to fund a new degree from scratch in the future? I would still also be a part time student.

    I don't mind the added expense added on to my student finance debt, as this will be paid once I am employed, I'm just trying to find out if I start a new degree, part time with the Open University, will I be given full funding if I have a certificate of higher education in a different subject?

    Thank you
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    Part-time funding is a little different to full-time funding so I'm not completely sure, but as I understand it, part-time students are eligible to get up to a maximum of 16 years of student loans. Subtract the number of years you've studied with the OU (partial years count as full years) from 16, and you're left with your loan entitlement. Assuming you've only been studying with the OU for a couple of years, I think you would get full funding to complete a part-time degree in a different subject, yes.

    It might be a good idea not to claim the CertHE until after you've begun the English/Creative Writing degree, just in case.

University open days

  • Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.