Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am thinking of applying for economics and maths at Loughborough but I am slightly worried because I did not do further maths. I am currently on a gap year and I got an A for Maths. I just wanted to know is there anyone who did not do further maths and is doing okay? Is Maths really hard at university when you compare it to alevel because yes , I found A-level Maths hard but if you worked super hard at alevel then I believe you can get the grade you want and yes, I did work hard and constantly did past papers and ended up with an A but I am not sure if this would be the same at university. How do you find your teachers, are they helpful and how is Loughborough life in general? Do you suggest to do some pre-reading? Please can anyone let me know asap thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebell1234)
    Hi, I am thinking of applying for economics and maths at Loughborough but I am slightly worried because I did not do further maths. I am currently on a gap year and I got an A for Maths. I just wanted to know is there anyone who did not do further maths and is doing okay? Is Maths really hard at university when you compare it to alevel because yes , I found A-level Maths hard but if you worked super hard at alevel then I believe you can get the grade you want and yes, I did work hard and constantly did past papers and ended up with an A but I am not sure if this would be the same at university. How do you find your teachers, are they helpful and how is Loughborough life in general? Do you suggest to do some pre-reading? Please can anyone let me know asap thanks.
    Hi Bluebell1234

We don't ask for Further Maths as an A Level to get on to a Maths course, so with you have A at Maths already, you should be fine.
    If we thought people who didn't have further Maths would struggle, we would ask for it. I wouldn't worry too much, but hopefully someone with some first hand experience will come along with their opinion.

Enjoy your gap year

Hope this helps
    Vicky

ReputationRep:
    So if we had further maths would that mean we had a head start?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    So if we had further maths would that mean we had a head start?

Hi Luke7456

Potentially - I'm not an expert in Maths and what Further Maths actually entails to be perfectly honest.
    So yes you might have a bit of a head start, but it soon evens out within the first year - as it does on most courses at most universities.

Does that make sense?
    Vicky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi Luke7456

Potentially - I'm not an expert in Maths and what Further Maths actually entails to be perfectly honest.
    So yes you might have a bit of a head start, but it soon evens out within the first year - as it does on most courses at most universities.

Does that make sense?
    Vicky
    Yes that makes perfect sense because most people don't focus on maintaining a lead. Most people who have a head start give it up by taking things easy if I have a head start i am reading ahead to maintain that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.