Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm happy to see that Trump and May still retain that magic relationship.... Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    I meant with the EU... you clearly don't know anything about the EU just look at how many active tariff-free trade deals they have and how many they're making... WE DONT NEED TO BE IN THE SINGLE MARKET FOR FREE TRADE WITH THE EU.

Immigration has never been the issue, as a concept and in practice immigration is great and helped this country tremendously, the issue is MASS uncontrolled immigration, there comes a point where it's just too much, it's at the point of 20k+ a month that's just ridiculous, not only does it cause a short term pressure on infrastructure but what about the long term? What about when they fail to integrate? What about when their values aren't shared with ours? What if they don't respect our heritage? It's easier and more natural to respect a country if you actually did something to get in it, if you just crossed a border it has little value to you. Most people arent against immigration, they're against the numbers and the threats those numbers bring.
    What do you mean by mass immigration? That's a very vague way of describing it - provide the numbers as one may appear bigger to someone's whilst it may not to another. Furthermore since when did the U.K. start a mass import of immigrants - economists would argue they are vital to our productivity and if we loose out on that then the levels of productivity will fall.

In this country, we are seeing people live longer - this is because of new technology and groundbreaking research in medicine that has given us the benefits of longevity. In the short term, immigrants would help provide a boost to our infrastructure. Not only do they work at cheaper rates, they are committed and very reliable too. This in turn will lead to economies of scale for companies that want to maximise profits but reduce costs - immigrants fit the bill for this indeed.

In the long term they will learn to integrate, they will need to understand this beforehand. Trying to adapt to new surroundings is hard, however, with encouragement and a warning before they enter to try to integrate will be for greater good for this country and for the parties involved. They will produce generation of children who will become familiar with the lifestyle here so this shouldn't be an issue at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    please say it's a photoshop?!
    It's not. It's just the angle though, he wasn't actually grabbing her arse.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by saraxh)
    Melania is going to be hella mad
    But why now she has time to find herself a youngster instead of a cheeto....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    He is legit
    thanks. im glad one of my friend's backs me up!?!

(Original post by Rhythmical)
    They banged behind the bins, didn't you know?
    lol funny

(Original post by BigMan Ting)
    You've just contradicted yourself. One minute you say immigration isn't the problem, but MASS immigration is? Furthermore since when did the U.K. start a mass import of immigrants - economists would argue they are vital to our productivity and if we loose out on that then the levels of productivity will fall.

In this country, we are seeing people live longer - this is because of new technology and groundbreaking research in medicine that has given us the benefits of longevity. In the short term, immigrants would help provide a boost to our infrastructure. Not only do they work at cheaper rates, they aren't committed and very reliable too.

In the long term they will learn to integrate, they will need to understand this beforehand. Trying to adapt to new surroundings is hard, however, with encouragement and a warning before they enter to try to integrate will be for greater good for this country and for the parties involved. They will produce generation of children who will become familiar with the lifestyle here so this shouldn't be an issue at all.
    good points

(Original post by JamesN88)
    It's not. It's just the angle though, he wasn't actually grabbing her arse.
    hmm r u sure?

ReputationRep:
    john2054

Haha, yeah I watched the last couple of minutes of the actual press conference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    john2054

Haha, yeah I watched the last couple of minutes of the actual press conference.
    okay still funny though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    But why now she has time to find herself a youngster instead of a cheeto....
    True

ReputationRep:
    You've just contradicted yourself. One minute you say immigration isn't the problem, but MASS immigration is? Furthermore since when did the U.K. start a mass import of immigrants - economists would argue they are vital to our productivity and if we loose out on that then the levels of productivity will fall.

In this country, we are seeing people live longer - this is because of new technology and groundbreaking research in medicine that has given us the benefits of longevity. In the short term, immigrants would help provide a boost to our infrastructure. Not only do they work at cheaper rates, they are committed and very reliable too. This in turn will lead to economies of scale for companies that want to maximise profits but reduce costs - immigrants fit the bill for this indeed.

Yes... just like how carbs isn't the problem for fat people, the problem is too many carbs. Economists will also tell you the NHS is due collapse, the housing market can't keep up with demand, the government can't build enough houses for its own young and disabled people, the quality of education is going down because many areas have to have more students in a class to facilitate the migrants. People will tell you how their communities have transformed and been hijacked, what about all the precious green land we have to build towns on? 20k+ people a month... that's a new town that needs building every 2-3 months. You don't seem to understand we can achieve what you've said without MASS immigration.

Many of them don't try to adapt, they bring their own culture (which is welcomed to an extent but it can cause a clash of values, e.g In the way women are treated, views on homosexuals, work ethic, how you treat your neighbours, how you behave in public). Seriously, why do you think this country NEEDS free movement of people?? You just seem like someone who's read some biased bull***t, opened a textbook but haven't opened your eyes to see the damage it causes. You talk like 'immigrants' refers to one type of people, like they're robots and don't ask for anything but just come here to work... as if. Not every immigrant comes here to work, not every immigrant is a good person, wants an education, wants to join their local community or has respect for this country. Stop coming up with textbook answers like everything plays into theory. Again, yes we need immigration to expand our economy, no we don't need mass immigration.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    He is legit
    Hmmmmmm wow

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by mass immigration? That's a very vague way of describing it - provide the numbers as one may appear bigger to someone's whilst it may not to another. Furthermore since when did the U.K. start a mass import of immigrants - economists would argue they are vital to our productivity and if we loose out on that then the levels of productivity will fall.

Ugh you changed your answer.... mass immigration is numbers like 335k net migration a year! It's absurd, we cannot facilitate that kind of immigration, we do not need those sort of levels of Immigration. Thanks for pointing out why immigration good, can you tell me why immigration beyond the number needed is necessary? We could've achieved all that and more with less than half the number of immigrants if we could control our boarders. Also cheap labour isn't always a good thing, aside from economic growth (GDP) you realise GDP per capita is quite an important thing? Standard of living... isn't that what this whole economy thing is about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    It's probably crap, but I read that Trump suffers from a fear of steep slopes and staircases. That, coupled with his alleged germophobia, might have compelled him to hold the Prime Minister's hand as they went down a staircase around the corner.

Again, no idea how true that is. But I like the mental image. It makes him seem more human.
    actually, Trump never shakes anyones hand because of his germophobia. He knows that hands are dirtier than railings. Whoever met with trump, the first things they say is that he doesn't shake your hand. Yet, he holds may's hand. This is something special.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  650.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  79.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    Are we gonna have a Thatcher and Regan relationship?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Ugh you changed your answer.... mass immigration is numbers like 335k net migration a year! It's absurd, we cannot facilitate that kind of immigration, we do not need those sort of levels of Immigration. Thanks for pointing out why immigration good, can you tell me why immigration beyond the number needed is necessary? We could've achieved all that and more with less than half the number of immigrants if we could control our boarders. Also cheap labour isn't always a good thing, aside from economic growth (GDP) you realise GDP per capita is quite an important thing? Standard of living... isn't that what this whole economy thing is about...
    Standard of living hasn't been on the increase, mainly because a lot of young people are unemployed. You also cannot blame mass immigration being the problem for youth unemployment as big companies have decided that they wont pay corporation tax (the enterprise zones they were in) - so they up and leave. Meanwhile in areas like Devon and Cornwall in the South West, you'll see why unemployment is so rife. They literallly have no industries there's so that's the governments fault for not encouraging enough businesses to start there.

You've also got to consider other mitigating factors, a lot of companies have moved their manufacturing factories elsewhere for cheaper labour and economies of scale, yet you think this would be detrimental to our standard of living? Economist perspective - however these countries don't think it's a problem, so why do you?

Then you have to look at why they don't integrate - mainly it's because we didn't care! What are British values exactly, what make you proud to be British? I agree with you wholeheartedly - controlled immigration is better but even with controlled immigration you'll still get bad eggs within the crop, so even a smaller size will still get a reputation that they didn't deserve all because a couple of bad people give them bad rep.

ReputationRep:
    Standard of living hasn't been on the increase, mainly because a lot of young people are unemployed. You also cannot blame mass immigration being the problem for youth unemployment as big companies have decided that they wont pay corporation tax (the enterprise zones they were in) - so they up and leave. Meanwhile in areas like Devon and Cornwall in the South West, you'll see why unemployment is so rife. They literallly have no industries there's so that's the governments fault for not encouraging enough businesses to start there.

You've also got to consider other mitigating factors, a lot of companies have moved their manufacturing factories elsewhere for cheaper labour and economies of scale, yet you think this would be detrimental to our standard of living? Economist perspective - however these countries don't think it's a problem, so why do you?

Then you have to look at why they don't integrate - mainly it's because we didn't care! What are British values exactly, what make you proud to be British? I agree with you wholeheartedly - controlled immigration is better but even with controlled immigration you'll still get bad eggs within the crop, so even a smaller size will still get a reputation that they didn't deserve all because a couple of bad people give them bad rep.
    Standard of living also takes into account population, the population has been growing at a faster rate than the economy. and you're wrong, what about the decline of the middle class? Unemployment is really low in this country but the rate of 'real pay' has been Going down for years and years… as you mentioned above this is the effect of immigration and excess capacity in the labour market.

When I talk about British values I guess I'm biased towards 'middle class values' but it's the idea of community, individual liberty, tolerance of each other despite our differences (immigration would be this way if it wasn't so out of control), appreciation of heritage and the local as well as the wider culture.

If immigration is cut in numbers they can bring the same if not more economic benefits, communities won't feel it so hard and sure you'll get the bad egg but you won't get as many, they won't have the right to just move here… So if immigration isn't causing a problem and isn't out of control, the odd bad egg is just overlooked. Like in Germany, if you had a terrorist it was just that but now becuase everyone is against the mass migration its linked to that. We have to remember that the UK is a small country, it's not as big Canada or the USA yet we take in more immigrants than Canada… It also doesn't make sense to have more immigration than the jobs added to the economy. So immigration certainly needs to be cut which has been my point all along, I've appreciated the fact we need immigration but we don't need it to be anywhere near today's numbers.

I also think people are angry, talking about immigration was a black zone topic… it was just something people were afraid to talk about because they were seen as bad people which isn't good because they feel alienated. So going out of the EU we can set a number/target on how many skilled and unskilled people we want, that way anger will be towards the government and not immigrants if there's too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    actually, Trump never shakes anyones hand because of his germophobia. He knows that hands are dirtier than railings. Whoever met with trump, the first things they say is that he doesn't shake your hand. Yet, he holds may's hand. This is something special.
    Trump shakes everyones hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Yes, I agree. Obama wanted nothing to do with us because of his hatred for the Western world, but now Trump's in we can start making good deals with the US again.

Of course, this is partly thanks to Brexit. Now we don't have the EU to deal with we're free to make deals with who we want, when we want, and the US is rightly top of the list.
    I don't think he hated you because he hated the west. He was an anti-colonialist. If you read dreams from my father, on almost every page he has some kind of rant about the evils of colonialism. He hated you because of your history more than anything else

It was a very strange eight years and I'm glad to see it over. First time in modern history we had an ant-British president.

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher and Regan era is back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofswords)
    Name:  650.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  79.6 KB
    I don't understand how you're able to post that without being banned, if I posted any offensive photos regarding Islam I would be banned and cyber bombed by TSR

ReputationRep:
    Trump has more in common with Putin than the European leaders. If war broke out, I wouldn't be surprised if it were Russia and America Vs everyone else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.