Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Being 15, and having only worked there for 5 months next week, I'm not entirely sure that to do. Id like to sue my boss, get some money and quit my job - however, im not sure if i have a case.
    My manager is about 50, and makes me and the barmaid very uncomfortable. We are the only females in the restaurant, and he constantly touches us in inappropriate ways. Slaps our bums, strokes our arms, puts his arm around me. In addition to this ( im the only person who gets individual tips as im the only one who repeatedly serves the tables all night) and im not aloud to keep my tips, if i want to i have to ask permission. I legit asked to keep a £3 tip and he lost it. started screaming at me say all sorts. that i dont deserve my job. i only have it because of my mum. millions of girls would kill to have job. that im easily replaceable. i dont deserve my wage or tips. I'm on minimum wage (£4) and the only reason I work there i because the last girl quit because she felt uncomfortable because of him.
    Also, he makes me rearrange the cellar. Crates upon crates of drinks. During which he stands there watching me telling where to put things a i squat and lean over things to grab them, and i can just feel his eyes on me. It weird.
    The owner of the restaurant has two more on the same street. My friend went into one to look for a job and they said no because she is under 16, and before last week the owner didnt know i was only 15.
    The hours he makes me work actually break the law or something. Friday i can only work 2 hours ( i work 5+), saturday 5 hours (i work 6+) and sunday 5 hours ( i work 7+).
    and then there are the times ive been told i cant open a water bottle because 'thats a mans job', 'why did i carry the heavy end of the ice cream machine? (coz im a girl), called spotty, that i need to wear more makeup, and if i eat my dinner ill be fat.

do i have anough to file a law suit? i havent told my mum. but financially we arnt in the best place. and even if i cant access the money till im 18 itll help a million.

ReputationRep:
    yes foolish person sue him

ReputationRep:
    i refuse to quit till i have another job lined up. I buy all my own school stuff, I have to pay £25 a month to get to school and £40 for my phone.

plus the longer i wait, the more i can get him for.

ReputationRep:
    Starting building evidence, without proof this all means nothing. Get a video of him shouting at you and saying something rude and they'll believe the rest of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahmt)
    i refuse to quit till i have another job lined up. I buy all my own school stuff, I have to pay £25 a month to get to school and £40 for my phone.

plus the longer i wait, the more i can get him for.
    Why would you wait?
    What exactly are You getting by holding In your action?
    I would say You might not be the right employee for The job.

ReputationRep:
    we have cameras there so it should have been caught on them too. im not aloud to have my phone on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    Why would you wait?
    What exactly are You getting by holding In your action?
    I would say You might not be the right employee for The job.
    right employee for the job? what exactly are you insinuating?

ReputationRep:
    right employee for the job? what exactly are you insinuating?
    You might have waited too long to do some tasks which is why he shouted at you. I don't think you can wait to catch your boss like that's not really how work works.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You need to leave or sue the hell out of him.

ReputationRep:
    Im the only person who does my job. I catch him in the office watching some sort of real house wives of new delhi type ****. On top of this, the male waiters spend half the time eating in the kitchen so i end up clearing the plates too which is their job. When the bar maid isnt in its me who has to do half the drinks because the manager refuses to hire more help. I spend the time running round. I do 8 hour shifts without a break.

He doesnt shout at me for not doing my job. He says ' good girl' and 'good leah' like im some sort of animal.

He shouted at me for asking to keep my tip after being specifically told that if i want to i have to ask permission before hand.

ReputationRep:
    what i meant by waiting is, whilst i cant afford to leave without finding another job - which are scarce at the moment, hes still doing the creepy ****. which i am noting down. hence i have more to bring up.

ReputationRep:
    quit the job

without the money to pursue a court case you're going to struggle but there's no reason to put up with that treatment

also, I'm pretty sure that touching your bum when you're 15 would probably be something you coul d take straight to the police
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Being 15, and having only worked there for 5 months next week, I'm not entirely sure that to do. Id like to sue my boss, get some money and quit my job - however, im not sure if i have a case.
    My manager is about 50, and makes me and the barmaid very uncomfortable. We are the only females in the restaurant, and he constantly touches us in inappropriate ways. Slaps our bums, strokes our arms, puts his arm around me. In addition to this ( im the only person who gets individual tips as im the only one who repeatedly serves the tables all night) and im not aloud to keep my tips, if i want to i have to ask permission. I legit asked to keep a £3 tip and he lost it. started screaming at me say all sorts. that i dont deserve my job. i only have it because of my mum. millions of girls would kill to have job. that im easily replaceable. i dont deserve my wage or tips. I'm on minimum wage (£4) and the only reason I work there i because the last girl quit because she felt uncomfortable because of him.
    Also, he makes me rearrange the cellar. Crates upon crates of drinks. During which he stands there watching me telling where to put things a i squat and lean over things to grab them, and i can just feel his eyes on me. It weird.
    The owner of the restaurant has two more on the same street. My friend went into one to look for a job and they said no because she is under 16, and before last week the owner didnt know i was only 15.
    The hours he makes me work actually break the law or something. Friday i can only work 2 hours ( i work 5+), saturday 5 hours (i work 6+) and sunday 5 hours ( i work 7+).
    and then there are the times ive been told i cant open a water bottle because 'thats a mans job', 'why did i carry the heavy end of the ice cream machine? (coz im a girl), called spotty, that i need to wear more makeup, and if i eat my dinner ill be fat.

do i have anough to file a law suit? i havent told my mum. but financially we arnt in the best place. and even if i cant access the money till im 18 itll help a million.
    Go to your local citizens advice bureau to ask for suggestions - they should be able to let you know the best action to take. However, I personally would say don't force yourself to stay there if you feel uncomfortable - this sounds like sexual harassment. You could also take it directly to the police.

ReputationRep:
    I understand how difficult it is to find a job these days but you are worth so, so much more than this. Your boss is sexist, inappropriate and a pervert, he's disgusting. If anyone touched me like that or treated me so badly I'd leave immediately and go to the police.

ReputationRep:
    15 years old and bandying around 'suing'. This isn't America.

Your boss sounds like a nasty sleeze. I'd personally leave pronto, and see the Citizens Advice Bureau before thinking about employment lawyers and the like.

ReputationRep:
    Just go to the police if he is being inappropriate.

ReputationRep:
    Leave the job.
    Contact ACAS / CAB.
    'Suing' is extremely expensive, and probably prohibitively in your case. Esp as most of the things you describe would be difficult to evidence.
    There are no-win-no-fee lawyers but they are awful people and an even worse idea as you can end up owing the same vast amounts of money in fees.

ReputationRep:
    that's at the point where it's more than civil and actually a crime, go to the police
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Go to the police. Keep a diary of everything he's doing. And quit your job. Seriously.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.