Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Personality fake? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The more I see of people the more I wonder if the personality they give out is just put on or fake, not the real them but for consumption of others they interact with to put across a good impression of them. I particularly tend to wonder this about those that come across well personality wise. Maybe they are not aware and it developed over time or maybe they are. i.e many professional con men/women in the past usually use a all too nice 'fake' personality. Then again I come across some people that are nice and I get the impression are decent people. But do people just put on fake personality just to get on?
    • Political Ambassador

Yes.

Some do it intentionally and fake it in order to get along with other people and have a greater social life. Some lose parts of themselves over time since they think the opinion of others is really important and not show their true selves cause they are that scared of social rejection.

Kissing ass and sucking up is widely common at work, at school, even with friends.

Edit: Even kids do it. :rofl:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately you get who people are fake just to fit in with a group. Then when you get to know them more, you see their true colours. Not everyone is like this though but I think people do it because they're insecure over their true selves.

ReputationRep:
    No, I've never come across people who act nice to just get along, there's no reason for them to even talk to those that they don't want to.
    Usually people will however only truly be themselves amongst those that they are comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Yes.

Some do it intentionally and fake it in order to get along with other people and have a greater social life. Some lose parts of themselves over time since they think the opinion of others is really important and not show their true selves cause they are that scared of social rejection.

Kissing ass and sucking up is widely common at work, at school, even with friends.

Edit: Even kids do it. :rofl:
    Yep thought so, you've confirmed my suspicions

Think it happens at uni to with lectureres and particualarly social groupings. I couldn't do it myself, I no doubt lose out because of it but its just not me and at my time in life probably too old to change even if I wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no.
    Some people are fakes, others aren't.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Gavin2016)
    Yep thought so, you've confirmed my suspicions

Think it happens at uni to with lectureres and particualarly social groupings. I couldn't do it myself, I no doubt lose out because of it but its just not me and at my time in life probably too old to change even if I wanted to.
    I know, I've never managed to do it and probably it would have been beneficial, but I'd rather be myself and not a fraud.

It's better to stand up for your values and say what you think.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you're MADE IN CHINA then you're fake

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I like to think I'm genuinely a nice and funny guy and I'm true to my dorky/nerdy traits but I'm still very sociable just not desperate and needy for interaction. I think you can see through those who fake, their personality won't add up and it won't reflect their actions, they'll crack along the way. I believe in being honest, starting with yourself then others. I kind of study people's personalities not like sitting there watching them or being creepy and watching everything they do but just seeing how they react to things, how they talk to me vs others, how they act when something really good happens (are they grateful or do they get big headed, etc.) it's just a natural thing I do subconsciously but I'm glad to say I don't see cracks in most my friends and I hear stories about other people who I distanced my self from and I'm glad I did so. We've all been in situations where we have to fake confidence or try to be something we're not, but once you're friends with them you have to shake that off and be yourself... wow I got deep on such a light issue lol
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by serah.exe)
    omg @mods

:rofl::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    I always knew...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well yes and no as someone's personality can change over time and they may become a better person.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how true the person is :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    If you can change a personality then it's going to be fake, everyone has a hidden agenda.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.