Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Male who wants to work in a nursery Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Not sure if this was the right place to post, but anyway, like the title question says, I'm a 24 year old guy who is interested in the idea of working in a nursery. But I'm a bit hesitant because of what my friends and family would think. I'm not too bothered about facing prejudice of being in a female environment as most of working life has revolved around that. I've worked wiith children (aged 4-6) in a primary school and in social care for children with severe learning disabilities (i.e. autism) so in many ways it would be new but familiar to me. I love the idea of being a positive male role model for young children, I love seeing children progress and sometimes you get the little lightbulb moments that make it so damn rewarding! Most importantly for me, the Monday-Friday hours that a nursery would offer really appeals to me, as I have very little work-life balance in my current job.
    Do any of you think it would be odd for a guy my age to want to work in a nursery?

I have a degree in psychology, and also a BTEC level 3 in residential childcare, so I should qualified in theory. I have been offered one interview at a nursery but couldn't attend as I was working in my current role. I've been invited to a careers day at a nursery near to me on Tuesday. I'd like the idea of working on a casual/bank basis to see if it would suit me rather thancommitting to a full time job

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by o-glez)
    Hi!

Not sure if this was the right place to post, but anyway, like the title question says, I'm a 24 year old guy who is interested in the idea of working in a nursery. But I'm a bit hesitant because of what my friends and family would think. I'm not too bothered about facing prejudice of being in a female environment as most of working life has revolved around that. I've worked wiith children (aged 4-6) in a primary school and in social care for children with severe learning disabilities (i.e. autism) so in many ways it would be new but familiar to me. I love the idea of being a positive male role model for young children, I love seeing children progress and sometimes you get the little lightbulb moments that make it so damn rewarding! Most importantly for me, the Monday-Friday hours that a nursery would offer really appeals to me, as I have very little work-life balance in my current job.
    Do any of you think it would be odd for a guy my age to want to work in a nursery?

I have a degree in psychology, and also a BTEC level 3 in residential childcare, so I should qualified in theory. I have been offered one interview at a nursery but couldn't attend as I was working in my current role. I've been invited to a careers day at a nursery near to me on Tuesday. I'd like the idea of working on a casual/bank basis to see if it would suit me rather thancommitting to a full time job

Thanks.
    If I were you just go for it. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a positive role model to children. If you were female I'm sure you wouldn't be saying this, and for sure it is not weird that a male wants to have a job like that.

If you feel that it is rewarding to help children then that is great, if you are good enough for a role you will get employed.

And as for your friends and family, If they know you well enough they will not judge you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be strange at all if you think it'll make you happy! I actually have a male friend who's 2 years younger than you and absolutely loving working in a nursery! So go for it

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Thanks.
    Why? This seems too strange its like a woman wanting to work as a builder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Thanks.
    Go for it. There's nothing wrong with going into childcare so ignore all this social norm nonsense. In fact, males are encouraged to go into careers such as childcare/teaching.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.