Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it okay to do this in a maths gap year? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've read about how unis really dislike it when maths students take gap years, but in my gap year I would plan to complete the further maths a level, as I was not able to do this at my sixth form, and also take STEP and AEA. Id also try to get a job but I'm not a sure if I'd be able to get one strongly related to maths. Would this be alright?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selenacxoxo)
    I've read about how unis really dislike it when maths students take gap years, but in my gap year I would plan to complete the further maths a level, as I was not able to do this at my sixth form, and also take STEP and AEA. Id also try to get a job but I'm not a sure if I'd be able to get one strongly related to maths. Would this be alright?
    It would probably open yourself up to more unis and shows you're still doing some maths... the one thing I would say (and this is coming from someone who at the start of Y13 said they wanted to do STEP and AEA and ended up doing neither) is that sttempting both may be a bit too risky/strenuous,

One thing you can do is to email admissions and ask how they feel about your situation and whether it would be a good idea to apply there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    It would probably open yourself up to more unis and shows you're still doing some maths... the one thing I would say (and this is coming from someone who at the start of Y13 said they wanted to do STEP and AEA and ended up doing neither) is that sttempting both may be a bit too risky/strenuous,

One thing you can do is to email admissions and ask how they feel about your situation and whether it would be a good idea to apply there.
    Ahhh okay, thanks for the advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.