Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So currently my main aspiration in life as in terms of future career, is to become a clinical psychologist. I have an interest in helping individuals with different aspects of their lives, and while psychiatry was my initial thought once I found out you need to require A level science, I quickly withdrew it.

I heard with clinical psychology, that it's quite a difficult area of field to get into effectively, and even when you do some people regret it?

Currently, I am studying psychology and Health & Social care or HSC(double A level) in order to get 3 A levels and attend uni. However, to be correct I need to earn first a Master's degree, then I need to apply for a doctorate degree in order to be a clinical psychologist? I heard that HSC isn't a recognized A Level and can make it tough to got into this field.

Additionally, is the salary good? I want a job where I'm making a considerate amount, and hearing £30,000-£80,000 depending on your level is interesting. How long would it take to be a senior experienced clinical psychologist (to earn the higher amounts)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Watching this space!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Degree - BPS accredited 2.1 +. To get onto such a degree course you really need at least 1 science A-level (some count psych as one). HSC double is unlikely to be accepted by decent/top universities

MSc degree - not essential but helpful

Work experience - at least 2 years working in a clinical placement, probably supervised by a clinical psychologist or an assistant psychologist role

Doctorate - extremely competitive to get onto, 3 years, paid for by NHS.

Salary is very good

ReputationRep:
    You need to have a qualification that confers eligibility for GBC with the BPS to get onto a DClinPsy programme. See http://www.bps.org.uk/what-we-do/mem...e-member-mbpss

Please note eligibility is the requirement - you don't need to join the BPS.

Despite a large number of people who will tell you otherwise, you do not need years of clinical experience depending on the DClinPsy programmes you apply to. There are very different approaches to selecting trainees from a traditional paper based route looking at degree class and experience to ones who use ability testing in order to widen accessibility and encourage diversity and social justice. For example, the Lancaster programme does not have specific requirements for applicant's degree classification or work experience. Clearing house forms, specific work experience, and academic attainments are NOT used to assess your application to the programme, nor provided to interview panel members.

Applications are made via the clearing house which has lots of statistics on applying and will be worth a read: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/

You may also be interested in the alternative handbook which the BPS produces which provides info on the various programmes taken from surveys of current trainees: https://www.bps.org.uk/system/files/...dbook_2016.pdf

There is no doubt it is competitive to get a DClinPsy place. However, you are paid to get a doctorate (at present - funding arrangements for 2018 onwards are not confirmed and there is an expectation that things will change) and the job itself is well paid.

ReputationRep:
    the only thing i would ever say to anyone thinking of doing this is this: why clinical psychologist and not a counsellor or therapist?

You can qualify with much less debt and in a quicker time if you dont do the dclinpsy and you'd largely be working with the same client groups depending on your speciality - with the added bonus of working with clients for about 80-90% of your time. CP's probably spend 40% of their time actually providing therapy to patients

If you choose psychotherapy youd be largely using the same method as a CP too. It takes 4 years (if youre doing the intro course too) to qualify and practice as a counsellor. It takes 7+ years of study, plus intervening years whilst you wait for acceptance onto programme. Therapist/counsellor is about £6000 total cost depending on a few variables. Doctorate is between £9k and 18k per year at bsc. £9k per year of masters and the potential for the government to remove the funding for the dclinpsy by the time we all get there. Guessing that would be a similar yearly cost but even without it thats £63000 of loans! Its a very expensive route to something that you could maybe do for nearly a tenth of the cost

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.