Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't call pregnant patients 'mothers': Doctors are banned from using the word. Watch

• Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    People's Day should be good this year.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Lol, FFS what a joke.

As in, who's actually offended, male to female trans (ie women who can't get pregnant) or female to male trans (ie men who biologically can but don't want to.......or maybe they do? Da***)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    This degeneracy is going too far. You are born a male of a female (Dont try and pull a "oh there is a 1 in a million medical disease that causes X or Y) you cannot change your gender it is not a feeling and the world should stop pandering to this. I fear for my future life and for my childrens futures
    There is nothing wrong with being transgender, in these cases people have known for a long time (not spur of the moment, gee I'd love to be a woman) and ultimately no one actually suffers because of their decision. Certainly there are instance where trans people have the "brain" of the gender they are converting into.

The people complaining of the offensiveness of the word "mother" are just attention seeking hures and doing a disservice to their fellow trans peeps.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, medical staff have been given advice on how to be inclusive - it is the end of the world surely.
    It's just guidance, nobody is going to lose their job if they don't follow it.
    '...guidance for its staff on effective communication within the workplace, not advice to its 156,000 doctor members on how to deal with patients.'

ReputationRep:
    If this is true, it's stupid.

ReputationRep:
    there will be the Nurturing Parent of all battles over this.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* people get offended over something like this?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    This degeneracy is going too far. You are born a male of a female (Dont try and pull a "oh there is a 1 in a million medical disease that causes X or Y) you cannot change your gender it is not a feeling and the world should stop pandering to this. I fear for my future life and for my childrens futures
    There is a disease which means female genes are represented on a man's body (for example) and vice versa, however, I agree with you, and the science does too, that you still can only be one of two genders, and that that gender cannot be changed. You can look another gender, however, there are only two genders, and if you are genetically one gender, you cannot call yourself the other.

ReputationRep:
    It's a guideline and used sensibly will probably only make doctors think about trans patients. My guess is the majority of doctors call the majority of women 'expectant mothers' still but if it makes a few aware enough to notice + ask a trans patient what their preferred pronoun/gender descriptive is then that's a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    Reason #348 of why I hate our snowflake generation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck10101)
    There is a disease which means female genes are represented on a man's body (for example) and vice versa, however, I agree with you, and the science does too, that you still can only be one of two genders, and that that gender cannot be changed. You can look another gender, however, there are only two genders, and if you are genetically one gender, you cannot call yourself the other.
    Yes I perfectly understand the disease but people try and use it as a argument for being transgender and that seems stupid.

But yes totally agree with you

(Original post by CyclePath)
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-mothers.html

NHS doctors have been told not to call pregnant women ‘expectant mothers’ because it might offend transgender people, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.The astonishing warning comes in official guidelines issued by the British Medical Association to its 160,000 members, which says mothers-to-be should be referred to as ‘pregnant people’ instead.

Astonishing,
      This is a bit like health and safety.

Afew nuts take sensible rules, take them o the nth degree (without being asked) and cause push back against even common sense.

ReputationRep:
      Why a respected organisation like the BMA has let themselves be infested by this far-left cult I have no idea. Extreme political correctness is the number one thing that is responsible for the degeneration of British society.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Daily Mail)
      As every doctor knows only females can have children. To say otherwise is offensive and dangerous.
      :laugh:

If I go around saying males can have children, who exactly is offended by that :laugh: And who is it dangerous to?!

Most hilarious DM article ever.

(Original post by Democracy)
      It's not a ban. It's a guideline (i.e. exactly what it says on the tin: guidance, not an absolute edict), issued by a non-governmental body which has no power to make "bans" anyway.

Hence...

"This is a guide for BMA staff and representatives aimed at promoting an inclusive workplace at the BMA. It is not workplace guidance for doctors, which is clear from the fact it does not refer to patients."

So why don't we all calm down, take a few deep breaths, and actually do some reading instead of just going into meltdown like babies?
      Your voice of reason... completely drowned out by the torrent of dumbasses posting above, and the flood of ignorance from the millions who read the DM to get their daily outrage in.

Welcome to the post-truth era.

ReputationRep:
      But why would a trans male wish to get pregnant in the first place? Surely that defies the purpose of being male - the male sex are unable to get pregnant.

ReputationRep:
      Besides more cis people are likely to get offended by this change than trans people were offended by how it was previously

ReputationRep:
      Hang on. If your transgender and having a baby, then you associate as a woman, so you would want to be called a mother, right? And if you don't associate as a woman, you wouldn't be having a baby. It's too hard to keep up with these 58 different genders, can't we go back to when there were two genders? Surprising how all these genders were made by your feminists in America and Britian, where they just want to get attention. Have you heard of a woman in Africa identifying as a Apache Attackhelicopter? No. It's only for the women who wasted money on a gender studies degree then complain when they aren't earning the same as the founder of Apple. We need to stop giving into this ****. 2 genders, 2 sexualities (straight and gay) and all the rest are either attention seekers or mentally ill.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by That'sGreat)
      Hang on. If your transgender and having a baby, then you associate as a woman, so you would want to be called a mother, right? And if you don't associate as a woman, you wouldn't be having a baby. It's too hard to keep up with these 58 different genders, can't we go back to when there were two genders? Surprising how all these genders were made by your feminists in America and Britian, where they just want to get attention. Have you heard of a woman in Africa identifying as a Apache Attackhelicopter? No. It's only for the women who wasted money on a gender studies degree then complain when they aren't earning the same as the founder of Apple. We need to stop giving into this ****. 2 genders, 2 sexualities (straight and gay) and all the rest are either attention seekers or mentally ill.
      Females aren't the only sex claiming to be different genders you know, don't point the finger at us, there's just as many trans females as there are trans males. Life's short, why not be the gender you want to be

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wōden)
      It's still retarded.
      Yep

I really don't understand why the it's just guidance! crowd thinks that stops it from being aggravatingly stupid. It doesn't and it is.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by the bear)
      there will be the Nurturing Parent of all battles over this.
      it's the designated caregiver of all ****ups I agree.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.