Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who has applied for, or who is currently studying for an MSc in International Health and Tropical Medicine at the University of Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donereh)
    Is there anyone who has applied for, or who is currently studying for an MSc in International Health and Tropical Medicine at the University of Oxford?
    Hi Donereh! I have applied for Global Health, very similar course and been invited to attend an interview this week. Could you tell some information about your interview? What kind of questions did they ask? Did they ask some scientific questions? Thank you in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicaxxcc)
    Hi Donereh! I have applied for Global Health, very similar course and been invited to attend an interview this week. Could you tell some information about your interview? What kind of questions did they ask? Did they ask some scientific questions? Thank you in advance!!
    Hey Jessica
    I think I can probably help with this. I applied for both the MSc in International Health/Trop Med and the MSc in Global Health Science to start this year. I had an interview for both, and was offered a place for both. In the end I have chosen IHTM.

The first thing to say is that the courses are actually very different. I thought they were more similar, like you have said. The interviews and ability to talk to the panels about each course was very informative. In fact the IHTM masters is just the new name for the previous global health science course, and the global health science masters is a new course. The global health science masters is focussed on high income countries, aging populations, non-communicable diseases and stats, with no field placement. Whereas the IHTM is focussed on low to middle income countries, Tropical Medicine, and has a field placement (however this can be done in Oxford London Geneva etc, but is often done in Africa or Asia).

Doing the two interviews made me realise the GHS was completely the wrong course for me, and the title of the course is quite misleading in that it isn't actually global health. Regarding the interview, it was very similar for both. I was asked simple questions, no tricks, no scientific stuff. I was asked why do you want to study the course, what is your background, what do you want to do in future, have you considered any other schools, how will you cope with the workload. All pretty short and no surprises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jane9876)
    Hey Jessica
    I think I can probably help with this. I applied for both the MSc in International Health/Trop Med and the MSc in Global Health Science to start this year. I had an interview for both, and was offered a place for both. In the end I have chosen IHTM.

The first thing to say is that the courses are actually very different. I thought they were more similar, like you have said. The interviews and ability to talk to the panels about each course was very informative. In fact the IHTM masters is just the new name for the previous global health science course, and the global health science masters is a new course. The global health science masters is focussed on high income countries, aging populations, non-communicable diseases and stats, with no field placement. Whereas the IHTM is focussed on low to middle income countries, Tropical Medicine, and has a field placement (however this can be done in Oxford London Geneva etc, but is often done in Africa or Asia).

Doing the two interviews made me realise the GHS was completely the wrong course for me, and the title of the course is quite misleading in that it isn't actually global health. Regarding the interview, it was very similar for both. I was asked simple questions, no tricks, no scientific stuff. I was asked why do you want to study the course, what is your background, what do you want to do in future, have you considered any other schools, how will you cope with the workload. All pretty short and no surprises.
    Hi Jane! Big cons!! Many thanks for sharing, realllyyy helps! If you don't mind me asking, what is your profile?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jane! Big cons!! Many thanks for sharing, realllyyy helps! If you don't mind me asking, what is your profile?
    No worries. Both courses are still open for admission, so you could apply for IHTM if it's more suited to your goals. I applied for four masters programs at Oxford not expecting to get my first choice!

I'm a paediatric doctor. I've worked in a few places overseas (PNG, Nepal, Malawi, Zimbabwe) and for a year in Indigenous Health in Australia. I'm interested in Indigenous Paediatrics long-term. Mainly tropical disease management through health programs and eventually policy. I'm doing a master of public policy after the MSc in IHTM.

What about you? Does the global health science course still sound like it aligns with your interests?

ReputationRep:
    No worries. Both courses are still open for admission, so you could apply for IHTM if it's more suited to your goals. I applied for four masters programs at Oxford not expecting to get my first choice!

I'm a paediatric doctor. I've worked in a few places overseas (PNG, Nepal, Malawi, Zimbabwe) and for a year in Indigenous Health in Australia. I'm interested in Indigenous Paediatrics long-term. Mainly tropical disease management through health programs and eventually policy. I'm doing a master of public policy after the MSc in IHTM.

What about you? Does the global health science course still sound like it aligns with your interests?
    Yes! I have realized course content of GH on the website, but didn't read more about IHTM because I knew too little about tropical medicine. So I've thought they were similar for part of their names...I'm interested in chronic diseases, health statistics as well as health policy. BTW, was there a video chat, or telephone interview?

ReputationRep:

My undergraduate degree thesis is about arbovirus. Is this related to tropical medicine and diseases?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I have realized course content of GH on the website, but didn't read more about IHTM because I knew too little about tropical medicine. So I've thought they were similar for part of their names...I'm interested in chronic diseases, health statistics as well as health policy. BTW, was there a video chat, or telephone interview?
    Sounds like GHS is a good choice for you. It was on Skype!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like GHS is a good choice for you. It was on Skype!
    Thanks Jane! Was there a video interview, or just audio?

ReputationRep:
    Video

ReputationRep:
    Video
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Video
    Can I ask how long it took them to get back to you after the interview?I just had mine today ... hoping to see you on the course!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask how long it took them to get back to you after the interview?I just had mine today ... hoping to see you on the course!

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for the course this year. I hope to get info from you guys about the content of the course after you commence your studies. All the best!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.