Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Swedish journalist on trial for helping refugee Watch

The trial of a Swedish journalist and his two colleagues, who are accused of smuggling a Syrian refugee boy from Greece to Sweden, got under way on Thursday.

Fredrik Önnevall, his cameraman and interpreter met 15-year-old Abed in Greece when they were filming a documentary about European nationalist parties' response to the migration crisis in the spring of 2014.

Önnevall rented a van and the group travelled together to Sweden. Their story was told in a documentary airing in January 2015, which led to a police complaint being filed against him, marking the start of his legal troubles.

According to the prosecutor, the trio are guilty of people smuggling for helping the boy get to Sweden.

Björn Benschöld, the defence lawyer, argued as the trial got under way in Malmö District Court that they had acted only as the boy's travel companions. He claimed that the boy had paid his own way and carried his own ID documents.

Parts of the documentary were played in the courtroom, showing a scene in which Önnevall says that Abed is going to use fake ID documents which the boy had acquired himself.

"We can only offer travel company," Önnevall tells the documentary.

Önnevall described in court how the boy had said he was planning to jump onto a moving truck to make his way through Europe.

"I thought to myself, how is a boy, a child, going to manage that?" he said. "I made a deal with my conscience. Did I have the conscience to say no to a boy who wanted to come? No, I did not."

The boy, who now lives in Sweden, was heard as the trial continued in the afternoon.

"It was an act of humanity, they wanted to help me," he said. "My alternative was to make my way across the sea and maybe drown on the way."

The prosecutor argued ahead of the trial that the case is about the law, not morals.

"Legally, once they helped him to come, it's a case of human trafficking," prosecutor Kristina Amilon told the AFP news agency. "If they had been paid, the crime would have been aggravated."

http://www.thelocal.se/20170126/i-ma...ng-refugee-boy

Is kindness illegal now?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not cool to cosy up to someone you cannot identify, no matter how "in need" they seem to be. The 1% of psychos would be rubbing their hands if the Swede was let go and the boy was allowed to settle
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Smuggling is illegal, they knew it, end of story.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't smuggle anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Don't understand how the swedes are happy when they are taxed nearly 60% and are bringing more immigrants in XD

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused, is the kid allowed to stay in Sweden? If so why are they being prosecuted.

ReputationRep:
    He broke the law and is now facing the consequences, nothing to see here. This 15 year old 'child' had no business trying to get to Sweden anyway. He was not fleeing a warzone, he was residing in perfectly safe Greece.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Inexorably)
    I'm confused, is the kid allowed to stay in Sweden? If so why are they being prosecuted.
    Because they broke the law. That is how it usually works. It would be the same here. the kid will be allowed to have his asylum claim considered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Because they broke the law. That is how it usually works. It would be the same here. the kid will be allowed to have his asylum claim considered.
    That seems very odd though, because the child knew full on well what he was doing so why is he not also in trouble?

ReputationRep:
    uh oh sweeden this isnt very progressive, we all know mgrants cant do anything wrong you should let another million in
    • Very Important Poster

That seems very odd though, because the child knew full on well what he was doing so why is he not also in trouble?
    Because asylum seekers are not prosecuted for crossing national boundaries as long as they claim asylum at the earliest possible moment. They are entitled to have their asylum claim heard. This is in the convention on refugees.

ReputationRep:
    Smuggling is illegal
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yeah....people smuggling, totally legal...`

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Because asylum seekers are not prosecuted for crossing national boundaries as long as they claim asylum at the earliest possible moment. They are entitled to have their asylum claim heard. This is in the convention on refugees.
    So if he's allowed to claim asylum, what's the problem with this journalist bringing him here? If he's allowed to stay here anyway I'm really unsure what the issue is.
    • Very Important Poster

So if he's allowed to claim asylum, what's the problem with this journalist bringing him here? If he's allowed to stay here anyway I'm really unsure what the issue is.
    Because the grant of immunity doesnt apply to the journalist and it counts as smuggling. Wait to see what happens in the case and see how they resolve it. It would be the same in the UK if a lorry driver was smuggling people in through Dover. People have been prosecuted.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware you are allowed to claim asylum when you are within the country's territory but outside and attempting to come in they can stop you (Italy has a navy or whatever to intercept illegal boats with asylum seekers attempting to come in). When you claim asylum you yourself are no longer illegal to be in that country until a decision has been made. Though this journalist has brung them in illegally when they would have probably attempted to keep the boy out.

ReputationRep:
    Does the journalist think that Sweden needs more third world migrants.

ReputationRep:
    Sweden are cucks.

ReputationRep:
    The irony is the kid will probably rob them when he's old enough to think for himself

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.