Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is getting a D in Maths higher paper harder than getting a C in foundation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got a D grade in maths, taking the Edexcel higher paper, this was without studying and just taking the exam.
    Would it be easier to say; get a C in the foundation paper?

I'm planning on really studying and aiming to be up to B grade standards by the time the summer exams come along, is this a reasonable/achievable goal?

Thanks for any help

It would be more difficult to get a D in higher because the grade boundaries are lower than they are for foundation considering higher tier is more difficult so that means that the grade boundaries are higher for foundation exams which means it would be more difficult to get a C.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by adz234)
      It would be more difficult to get a D in higher because the grade boundaries are lower than they are for foundation considering higher tier is more difficult so that means that the grade boundaries are higher for foundation exams which means it would be more difficult to get a C.
      Yes, but the questions are considerably easier for the foundation, in turn making it easier to get the C grade, right?

(Original post by jpiano)
        Yes, but the questions are considerably easier for the foundation, right?
        Yes definetly, higher tier is much more difficult, that's why you can only get up to a C on foundation because it wouldn't be fair on the higher tier students if people who done foundation got an a* for considerably easier questions.

To me, don't do higher tier unless you're gifted in maths and naturally good at it, just do foundation which will ensure you get a C. Employers don't care if you done foundation or higher, all they want to know is if you got a C or not.

Yes generally it is easier to get a C, but it depends on how everyone else performs in that exam because if everyone done really well it would mean the paper was easy going which means the grade boundaries will be pushed up meaning more marks are required for a C.
        • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
        I've got a D grade in maths, taking the Edexcel higher paper, this was without studying and just taking the exam.

I'm planning on really studying and aiming to be up to B grade standards by the time the summer exams come along, is this a reasonable/achievable goal?

Thanks for any help
        It's easier to get a C in higher than Foundation.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by adz234)
        Yes definetly, higher tier is much more difficult, that's why you can only get up to a C on foundation because it wouldn't be fair on the higher tier students if people who done foundation got an a* for considerably easier questions.

To me, don't do higher tier unless you're gifted in maths and naturally good at it, just do foundation which will ensure you get a C. Employers don't care if you done foundation or higher, all they want to know is if you got a C or not.
        So that leaves me to my last question; if I recently got a D in the higher paper (without studying), would it be totally unreasonable to believe I can achieve a B grade (with A LOT of studying) by the time the summer exams start?

So that leaves me to my last question; if I recently got a D in the higher paper (without studying), would it be totally unreasonable to believe I can achieve a B grade (with A LOT of studying) by the time the summer exams start?

Yes of course you could get a B, maybe even higher! If you didn't study then yeah that's probably why you got a D, if you study and put more effort it in you'll see your grade go up because you'll understand the questions.

So yes, don't give up, if you study you'll be sure to pass higher tier, I think it looks difficult but if you sit down and learn it it can't be that bad.

and I also got a D in maths and that was a foundation exam so I'm hoping that everyone else struggled so that the grade boundaries will be lower and I'll actually get a C ( I re-sat and don't think I passed again) and that was with loads of revision! But then again some things were my own fault and my schools, I wasn't taught some things and on some questions I made silly mistakes.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for any help
          if your on about the old spec then no, its easier to get a c in the higer, if its the new 9-1 I would stick with the foundation paper to be safe

ReputationRep:
          Thanks for the replies.

Need a B in order to go to my first choice but getting a C gets me on my second choice.

Just going to work hard for the next 5 months and take the higher paper, hope I get a B but if not then its not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
          Thanks for the replies.

Need a B in order to go to my first choice but getting a C gets me on my second choice.

Just going to work hard for the next 5 months and take the higher paper, hope I get a B but if not then its not the end of the world.
          Maths is all about practice mate, if you are willing to put the work in and get help from teachers to push you, I'd say definitely go for higher tier as you won't be limited to just a 'pass'.

ReputationRep:
          Easy to get a B if you can get half the paper right and an A if you can get close to 3/4 of the paper right.

ReputationRep:
          I would urge you to take foundation unless your either prepared to seriously put the work in or you need maths. Unless your gunning for the top unis or want to further study maths, you don't really need above a C. Sure some accountancy firms require a B but you can always retake at a later date. Sometimes it's best to play it safe, especially if you are someone that really can't fathom maths

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.