Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Breaking up before going to uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    me and my other half have been together for just over 18 months i am 17 he has just turned 18 basically we have agreed to split up when we both go off to different unis, my problem is the other day he came to me and said he was having second thoughts about it and wanted us to try i dont want to because i want to go to uni being single and free, we want to stay together until then to make the most of the time we have, any solutions on how to convince him breaking up is for the best as he did agree to it at first.

Why bother staying together until then though? Neither of you exactly sound committed if you're just going to break up anyway.

ReputationRep:
    because we want to make the most of the time left

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him you need this time alone and if it's right and meant to be you'll feel the same about each other in 3 years.

(Original post by Leslie Ann)
    because we want to make the most of the time left
    But that's just *******s surely. All that's going to do is make it harder when you do have to part ways, especially for him by the sounds of things. You'll have a messy break up, and you'll ask yourself if it was really worth "making the most of the time you had left"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But that's just *******s surely. All that's going to do is make it harder when you do have to part ways, especially for him by the sounds of things. You'll have a messy break up, and you'll ask yourself if it was really worth "making the most of the time you had left"
    We just want to enjoy the time left because we still enjoy spending time together I just feel a clean break is needed in September.

We just want to enjoy the time left because we still enjoy spending time together I just feel a clean break is needed in September.
    Can't you see you're being selfish though? If he's having second thoughts about breaking up now, it's not going to be different in September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Can't you see you're being selfish though? If he's having second thoughts about breaking up now, it's not going to be different in September
    you got to be selifsh sometimes I feel I dont want to be tied down going to uni

why are you even in a relationship now if you're just going to break up to go be a hoe at uni. stop wasting peoples time.

you got to be selifsh sometimes I feel I dont want to be tied down going to uni
    Why don't you tell that to your "boyfriend" instead of stringing him along for the next few months.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you're staying together? If you're going to break up in September break up now? You'll only make life difficult for each other otherwise...You can't care that much about each other if you're not even going to try and make it work through uni.

ReputationRep:
    You're both snaking each other. what's the point.

ReputationRep:
    The only way this guy is still dating you is if he is whipped. You must be using each other for sex because no real relationship would "agree to split up", there are too many feelings involved in a proper relationship for anyone to think this way.
    Break up now and save yourself the distraction in uni.

ReputationRep:
    What was the point being together if you're just going to split up like that, kind of a waste of effort towards each other

ReputationRep:
    sounds to me like neither of you are relaly that commited to the relationship to begin with and you therefore might as well just break up now.

ReputationRep:
    me and my other half have been together for just over 18 months i am 17 he has just turned 18 basically we have agreed to split up when we both go off to different unis, my problem is the other day he came to me and said he was having second thoughts about it and wanted us to try i dont want to because i want to go to uni being single and free, we want to stay together until then to make the most of the time we have, any solutions on how to convince him breaking up is for the best as he did agree to it at first.
    Firstly I think it is incredible that in this day and age yourself and your partner have been together over 18 months. I'm not sure why there was a mutual agreement after this period of time that you would want to break-up, but if he has second thoughts maybe hear him out on what he has to say?

You want to be single and free but think about the good times you had with your partner and when he was there for you, single and free is all fun and games - but from experience I know that I certainly miss the traits and quirks of my significant other, which you cannot see in anyone else.

I can't give any definitive solutions because I don't like to see people break relationships and regret it later, so I don't want to contribute to that. However, I think maybe you should consider the aforementioned paragraphs above.

Best of luck in your studies, to the both of you!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, this thread makes no sense. You clearly dont love him or like him enough to take the relationship on to university so why waste his time and string him along until September? Ridiculous.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Break up now, why be so cruel to him if you were only going to do it anyway?
    It sounds like you aren't in a relationship for the right reasons.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you aren't even committed to each other if you are going to split up when you leave for university, you want to be single but why are you even together at this point of time? Seems like you're using each other so I'd part ways now.
    • TSR Support Team

This is what I don't get, seen quite a few posts here like this over the years and I never understand if this is how you are feeling why don't you break up now because it is obviously one of you is not committed and plus he clearly seems more into you which within itself maybe you should let him go.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.