Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help with Essay Q - Is political ignorance an obstacle to state-led solutions to.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is political ignorance an obstacle to state-led solutions to economic coordination problems?

How can I interpret this question, and what information would be relevant to tackle it?

ReputationRep:
    This title is hugely open and needs to be contextualised. Firstly, what do you define as an economic coordination problem - does that mean for example in the Euro Area, the disconnect between the ECB as the central bank and the separate governments which control fiscal policy. Or rather, political ignorance in terms of anti disestablishment voting on spurious premises, like Brexit perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etata)
    This title is hugely open and needs to be contextualised. Firstly, what do you define as an economic coordination problem - does that mean for example in the Euro Area, the disconnect between the ECB as the central bank and the separate governments which control fiscal policy. Or rather, political ignorance in terms of anti disestablishment voting on spurious premises, like Brexit perhaps.
    I can find out fo ryou but I'm guessing the former of your post than the latter. That explains the failure of firms.
    Any idea about the first part of the question?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    This isn't really an economics question, it sounds a lot more like a political question in the full context of what you could viably answer.

Politics is more of a "hobby" for me (if you want, I could move this to the Politics study help forum where you could probably get some better answers), but from logic, political ignorance leads to the state responding to things sub-optimally, because what the people want may not actually be beneficial to the majority of people, the latter of which is meant to be a key cornerstone of any democracy, and as one of the primary motives of a government's actions is to ensure re-election, they can't feasibly go against the will of a majority of people. This is pretty clear when you look at, for example, Labour's vote for the bill on Article 50 tonight.

As etata has highlighted, what exactly do you mean by economic coordination problem? There is a formal definition in Economics for a coordination failure, but I suspect it is not what the question is after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    This isn't really an economics question, it sounds a lot more like a political question in the full context of what you could viably answer.

Politics is more of a "hobby" for me (if you want, I could move this to the Politics study help forum where you could probably get some better answers), but from logic, political ignorance leads to the state responding to things sub-optimally, because what the people want may not actually be beneficial to the majority of people, the latter of which is meant to be a key cornerstone of any democracy, and as one of the primary motives of a government's actions is to ensure re-election, they can't go against the will of a majority of people.

As etata has highlighted, what exactly do you mean by economic coordination problem? There is a formal definition in Economics for a coordination failure, but I suspect it is not what the question is after.
    Yes please if you could move it, that'd be great.
    And I'm trying to debunk myself what economic coordination and how it could relate to the question of political ignorance.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Theguynextdoor)
    Yes please if you could move it, that'd be great.
    And I'm trying to debunk myself what economic coordination and how it could relate to the question of political ignorance.
    I've moved your thread to G&P now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    I've moved your thread to G&P now
    Thank you :')

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.