Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Music while doing work Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does listening to music help you to work better/faster or does it distract from working?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I find classical music does, not so much the music I listen to every day, as that distracts me.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what kind of music I listen to.

ReputationRep:
    From personal experience, music with lyrics distracts me and I get a LOT less done.
    However classical music without lyrics and just instruments like the piano isn't bad compared to complete silence.
    Overall it's probably most efficient to study without music but if you do want something it should just be classical.

My Favourite one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmzFDEu2RoA (Spring Waltz - Chopin)

ReputationRep:
    people who work at Dignitas™ have a wide choice of music to help them

i) anything by the Smiths

ii) Live and Let Die

iii) Going Underground

:beard:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I always have my normal music on while I work, just because I'd find it boring without it.

Occasionally when I need to read something carefully or think hard about something I'll pause it for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I don't usually listen to music whilst working but when i do i feel like i'm more 'awake' and willing to put effort in. If its overly loud or heavier rock then its quite difficult..

ReputationRep:
    Usually I work in silence, because the music I normally listen to (i.e. metal) is quite distracting! However I do sometimes listen to rain sounds or slow music like this when I'm working

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WneYqu-ao
    I listen to this when trying to do work, its relaxing and i find i often get a lot more done
    Hope it helps! Tx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    I find classical music does, not so much the music I listen to every day, as that distracts me.

(Original post by Xiep)
    From personal experience, music with lyrics distracts me and I get a LOT less done.
    However classical music without lyrics and just instruments like the piano isn't bad compared to complete silence.
    Overall it's probably most efficient to study without music but if you do want something it should just be classical.
    (Original post by the bear)
    people who work at Dignitas™ have a wide choice of music to help them

i) anything by the Smiths

ii) Live and Let Die

iii) Going Underground

:beard:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    I always have my normal music on while I work, just because I'd find it boring without it.

Occasionally when I need to read something carefully or think hard about something I'll pause it for a bit.
    I don't like classical music at all though, and I don't like to work in complete silence unless I'm doing a test or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    Depends on what kind of music I listen to.
    Which types help you concentrate and which distract you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoodPharaoh)
    I don't like classical music at all though, and I don't like to work in complete silence unless I'm doing a test or something.
    How can you not like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmzFDEu2RoA

The main reason it distracts me is because I listen/take in the lyrics more than taking in what I am studying. Thus leading to it taking a lot longer to understand what I am learning. If you can easily understand and memorise your work though it should be fine to listen to any music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoodPharaoh)
    Which types help you concentrate and which distract you?
    Rap, Trap and Hip Hop distract me.

Something like this is less distracting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiep)
    How can you not like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmzFDEu2RoA

The main reason it distracts me is because I listen/take in the lyrics more than taking in what I am studying. Thus leading to it taking a lot longer to understand what I am learning. If you can easily understand and memorise your work though it should be fine to listen to any music.
    I don't know why I just don't like it 🙁

I normally just put my music on low volume just kind of as a background noise
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It distracts me when it has lyrics, but at college it is really hard to find places that are silent to allow perfect focus, so I always put some lyric-less music on to help me concentrate.

Wow, I love that. Is there a playlist with similar songs? That's the sort of thing that really helps me work

ReputationRep:

I see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    It distracts me when it has lyrics, but at college it is really hard to find places that are silent to allow perfect focus, so I always put some lyric-less music on to help me concentrate.

Wow, I love that. Is there a playlist with similar songs? That's the sort of thing that really helps me work
    No but Chill Nation do music that have the same vibe.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Another song that sounds kinda similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJM4AQSbZDk
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No but Chill Nation do music that have the same vibe.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Another song that sounds kinda similar.

Yeah I love it, thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Usually I work in silence, because the music I normally listen to (i.e. metal) is quite distracting! However I do sometimes listen to rain sounds or slow music like this when I'm working
    I can't really listen to rock or metal while working, either. I have to listen to electronic/ambient type music. Burzum's last two albums are quite good for it. Or just whatever obscure ambient music I have.

EDIT: As I as typing this, the postman came and delivered to me the newest Mike Oldfield album, which is supposed to be quite similar to his original ones. I guess that's going on while I work now...

ReputationRep:
    I listen to Planet Rock whilst at work, the day goes by a lot quicker compared to a day working without music.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.