Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    MY first post on here so please forgive me if I do something wrong...

I have a bit of a dilemma about where I should live when I go to university. I am not so sure about living in the student halls as I have had absolutely no information about them and what my options would be. Is it possible for me to rent privately in my first year? I know that moving to another city and renting a flat or house is probably not recommended, but can it be done? Will my student maintenance loan cover some of that? I have heard though that for all first-year students it is compulsory to stay in UNI accommodation. I was going to live with a friend if it is possible to avoid student halls. She will be going to Salford, but simply will not live in halls. I would like to know what options I really have, and what it is like in the student halls or in a rented flat/house, hopefully from people actually living in these situations if possible, as this will really help clear up my decision.
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Halls are cheapest. You could rent privately but it might be a bit of a headache and you will have to cover more things such as wifi maybe? i dont know. Your maintenance loan will cover your university accommodation not any other accommodation, i could be wrong but it seems quite obvious. Its the reason you are given them so that you can live in halls.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cypto)

I have a bit of a dilemma about where I should live when I go to university. I am not so sure about living in the student halls as I have had absolutely no information about them and what my options would be. Is it possible for me to rent privately in my first year? I know that moving to another city and renting a flat or house is probably not recommended, but can it be done? Will my student maintenance loan cover some of that? I have heard though that for all first-year students it is compulsory to stay in UNI accommodation. I was going to live with a friend if it is possible to avoid student halls. She will be going to Salford, but simply will not live in halls. I would like to know what options I really have, and what it is like in the student halls or in a rented flat/house, hopefully from people actually living in these situations if possible, as this will really help clear up my decision.
    Thanks in advance
    You can see the accommodation we have to offer and the rent per week by visiting our website at http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/accommodation/manchester/.

Did you get to visit us at one of our Open Days to see the accommodation?

If you wish to rent privately then you can do so. It is not essential to stay in our university owned accommodation at all.

You may want to visit Manchester Student Homes at http://www.manchesterstudenthomes.com/accommodation. They are University approved private accommodation providers and on their website you will be able to search for different types of accommodation and their prices. You can then compare prices between the two types of accommodation.

I hope this helps. Any questions just let me know

Rebecca

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cypto)

Thanks in advance
    Quite a lot of private accomodation is way cheaper than halls. It doesn't generally cover bills but they're honestly not that bad. Wifi and Water bills are so easy to deal with. The electric bill can be a bit of a ballache though.

It's not compulsary at all! A lot of people like to live in halls because it's a good way to make friends but there is nothing stopping you from living elsewhere

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.