Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you expect to earn right after you graduate? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How much do you expect to earn straight after you graduate?
    £0-20000
    7.27%
    £20000-25000
    24.55%
    £25000-30000
    26.36%
    £30000-35000
    13.64%
    £35000-40000
    8.18%
    £40000+
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    Deary me, students. You're going to be in for a severe reality check when you leave university, I tell you. Getting a job in itself is tricky enough, yet you all expect to waltz in to jobs paying £40k+ as soon as you graduate and with no problem whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Deary me, students. You're going to be in for a severe reality check when you leave university, I tell you. Getting a job in itself is tricky enough, yet you all expect to waltz in to jobs paying £40k+ as soon as you graduate and with no problem whatsoever.
    There are jobs paying £40k+, such as investment banking. It's incredibly tough to break in but if you've got a solid plan to do it and work hard t the job it's possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    There are jobs paying £40k+, such as investment banking. It's incredibly tough to break in but if you've got a solid plan to do it and work hard t the job it's possible.
    Of course, if you have a good degree from a top, top university, along with a wealth of work experience and first class references, you may be in with a chance.

However, there are still a large number of students with none of these things who expect a high paying job to be handed to them on a plate.

ReputationRep:
    £100k starting comp is possible at elite boutique investment banks, but they only recruit the best from oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    Glad you pointed this out. Can't believe the number of people who want to become investment bankers, must be the new 'cool thing' to get into. Most probably watched Wolf of Wall Street and thought it looked quite exciting.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, if you have a good degree from a top, top university, along with a wealth of work experience and first class references, you may be in with a chance.

However, there are still a large number of students with none of these things who expect a high paying job to be handed to them on a plate.
    By top, top unis you mean oxbridge right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by showmethat)
    By top, top unis you mean oxbridge right?
    Primarily, yes. But Imperial and UCL would be up there too, along with LSE and Warwick for certain subjects.

ReputationRep:

Yep it's tough and no one can waltz into these careers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oddwatermelon)
    Glad you pointed this out. Can't believe the number of people who want to become investment bankers, must be the new 'cool thing' to get into. Most probably watched Wolf of Wall Street and thought it looked quite exciting.
    No, trust me I've been reaching out to bankers, doing my research, building my CV, applied for the top unis and I'm committed to this career. It's not some 'cool thing to get into'- it's actually a very tough job.

ReputationRep:
    So everyone on here aspires to become an investment banker? oh

ReputationRep:
    Aiming for investment banking
    Hopefully will be on £75k first year at a top Bank if front office but only £40k if middle office

ReputationRep:
    £60k, would increase to £100k in three years

ReputationRep:
    over 25k, immediately after graduation? i wish

ReputationRep:
    Unbelievable how many people on here think they can earn £70k as a GRADUATE, aka someone with 0 years of experience. There are graduates on £40k after 10-20 years of experience

ReputationRep:
    Technically they still get paid just above minimum wage when you factor in the 100 hour weeks they work
    100*52=5200
    70000/5200 = £13.46 an hour

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked. You guys can graduate and be on a 50K salary at 21/22?! Is everyone here being optimistic or is this norm for the economics/banking sector?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex.anne)
    I'm shocked. You guys can graduate and be on a 50K salary at 21/22?! Is everyone here being optimistic or is this norm for the economics/banking sector?
    It's the norm for the top graduate jobs in that sector which are very hard to get into
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harold98)
    And in what job would this be in?
    I hope to pursue the investment banking or asset management paths. The starting salary for these roles tends to be £50k plus a bonus. However, I could also get an accounting graduate schemes position which pays £30k.

(In the poll, if you think you will earn £25000 choose the £25000-30000 box
    depends

one of the following is where I'll end up depending on how everything goes

1. IBD; current market avg is £50k base + £25-40k bonus (stub ~£12-16k) + £4-6 signing

2. Software Engineer @ {insert top tech company}, market is around ~£45-60k base + £10-20k vesting RSUs + 10-15% bonus

3. Entry-level consulting, ~£35-55k all-in

- Any of the above would be beautiful -

4. Corporate Law TC, £35-50k

- Not as keen, but still somewhat interested in law having networked/done law insight programs -

5. Software Engineer at a not as %cool% place but still decent (e.g. banks, non-tech companies etc), ~£25-40k

6. Some random general management or finance scheme at a large conglomerate, ~£25-30k

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akbar0123)
    Technically they still get paid just above minimum wage when you factor in the 100 hour weeks they work
    100*52=5200
    70000/5200 = £13.46 an hour
    nobody works 100hrs a week for a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    definitely not a new thing.. and I'd agree that many people don't really know what banking is or entails however they get weeded out pretty fast after the spring week stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.