The Student Room Group

What do you expect to earn right after you graduate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by serions871
Aiming for investment banking
Hopefully will be on £75k first year at a top Bank if front office but only £40k if middle office

Only £40k? Only? Looks like you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth if you think £40k is a pittance.
Original post by pairofjeans
As you can see, people on TSR have very skewed views on realistic wages. It's actually hilarious how many people think most graduate jobs will pay from 35-50k right away.

Spoiler

most grad jobs don't, some do. tis fact.

there is no such thing as 'something ib related' and I'm fairly certain most sane people know there are 0 guarantees in almost everything in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Len Goodman
Only £40k? Only? Looks like you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth if you think £40k is a pittance.

Tbh in London it's not that amazing
It's a good wage, not a pittance
£50k as a graduate?? Probably have better odds of winning 50k on a scratchcard.
Original post by Princepieman
most grad jobs don't, some do. tis fact.

there is no such thing as 'something ib related' and I'm fairly certain most sane people know there are 0 guarantees in almost everything in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just look at the thread yourself. Or look at similar threads (since this type of thing has come up a billion times already).

You'll note that when someone's doing IB, the wage they'll mention is the best case scenario and they'll add that it's if they get a job at (insert respectable company here). Like you hardly see people with art degrees posting they expect inflated wages with the reasoning of them being in a graphic designer job. Or an engineer putting a massive wage and saying it's for if they got a job at microsoft.

In general, people understand that they shouldn't expect the best case scenario upon completing their degree (note the title of the thread). But they should obviously strive for it. Though for whatever reason that isn't applying to people doing wanting an IB job. Straight away you're all thinking of the top x% at the best company.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ladbants
Hoping to enter investment banking
Would be £50k + £5k bonus + £5k sign on = £60k all-in

£5k bonus?? Even the French banks are more generous lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Love these threads :moon:
Original post by pairofjeans
Just look at the thread yourself. Or look at similar threads (since this type of thing has come up a billion times already).

You'll note that when someone's doing IB, the wage they'll mention is the best case scenario and they'll add that it's if they get a job at (insert respectable company here). Like you hardly see people with art degrees posting they expect inflated wages with the reasoning of them being in a graphic designer job. Or an engineer putting a massive wage and saying it's for if they got a job at microsoft.

In general, people understand that they shouldn't expect the best case scenario upon completing their degree (note the title of the thread). But they should obviously strive for it. Though for whatever reason that isn't applying to people doing wanting an IB job. Straight away you're all thinking of the top x% at the best company.

I don't really get your point? If you get a front office gig (usually upon conversion from a summer internship) at a bank everyone is paid the same base wage with a variable bonus. It's not the *best case scenario* it is a uniform market based wage that participants of said labour market will all be paying to battle for their share of talent.

Nothing stopping an art degree student from setting on the FO banking path and being aware of what that will pay.. Your example has holes because a) most art degree holders couldn't care less nor do they know about banking careers and b) the roles they aspire to don't have characteristics of a uniformly valued competitive labour market - they're aspiring to compete in a market which judges their skills on an individual basis not on a blanket standard (e.g. freelance work, acting, journalism etc).

As for your last paragraph, people are aiming for a job with an already set wage (which is pretty much on a lock-step rise each year until about 6-7 years in), no one's talking about the top x% of a top company. If someone says 'I'd like to earn £25k as an analyst in S&T' I would know they probably don't have any idea about what they're saying because no S&T analyst makes £25k. If they said Operations? Somewhere up north? Sure.

Basically what I'm saying is, you can't dog on people for stating numbers just because they look higher than what other companies and roles you're aware of pay.. It all depends. If the people here don't get into IB, they will most likely not make the numbers stated and will be doing some other job with some other starting pay. It's not that deep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bex.anne
I'm shocked. You guys can graduate and be on a 50K salary at 21/22?! Is everyone here being optimistic or is this norm for the economics/banking sector?

Not that uncommon outside the UK. Place where I'm interning starts at 65k (euros) for masters graduates.
Original post by alexschmalex
Not that uncommon outside the UK. Place where I'm interning starts at 65k (euros) for masters graduates.

Company? Job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whatever JSA is at the time.

Also, I think i'm the only person on here that doesn't want to be an investment banker.
Reply 51
Hoping to enter investment banking
Would be £50k + £5k bonus + £5k sign on = £60k all-in

Original post by kangsterf
I want to go into investment banking. All-in compensation for a first year analyst tends to be ~£70k at the major IBs in London. That's still like minimum wage though, if you look at the hours they work. You learn a LOT of skills though and the exit opps are great. You can be on £250k by the time you're 30 if you network and play your cards right

Original post by desaf1
Want to enter the actuarial field, in London that pays around £30k for first years
But if I get into investment banking somehow it would be £75-80k total compensation for a first year analyst

Original post by habeas.corpus
Commercial Solicitor £40k first year. <£50k second year training. Then £80- 90k+ upon qualification. First year qualified salaries can go as high as £150k at a US in firm in London, but the hours are gruelling.

Original post by serions871
Aiming for investment banking
Hopefully will be on £75k first year at a top Bank if front office but only £40k if middle office

Original post by Mandem67
£60k, would increase to £100k in three years

Please come back after your first year of graduating and post us a photo of your P60. I've been making the same request for the past 5 years on here and not one person has been kind enough to indulge us.
Original post by Reue
Please come back after your first year of graduating and post us a photo of your P60. I've been making the same request for the past 5 years on here and not one person has been kind enough to indulge us.

There are people from this website who successfully enter banking. It's very difficult, but not impossible.
Original post by Reue

Why should anyone need to broadcast evidence of income on a forum?
Reply 54
There are people from this website who successfully enter banking. It's very difficult, but not impossible.

I don't disagree.
Reply 55
Why should anyone need to broadcast evidence of income on a forum?

It was a request, feel free not to of course :smile:
Original post by Reue

Why should anyone need to broadcast evidence of income on a forum? The only other person who needs to see my income is the guys at HMRC.

I suspect you are calling us unrealistic. Quite a few users on TSR have training contracts at law firms or IB offers.
Original post by Reue
I don't disagree.

Then why did you request us to provide evidence of earnings? You sounded like you were sceptic so that we'd make that much, at least that's what it looked like
Reply 58
I suspect you are calling us unrealistic. Quite a few users on TSR have training contracts at law firms or IB offers.

I'm suggesting that it would be nice for just a single user to come back and prove that they were able to earn the figures they predicted. Would be an inspiration to alot of future users.
Original post by Princepieman

Patent office, and that's the after tax pay I believe. I'm only an intern since I haven't done my masters yet, but there's literally a bunch of big international companies that will throw money at grads as long as they have the qualifications.

Quick Reply