Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you expect to earn right after you graduate? Watch

• View Poll Results: How much do you expect to earn straight after you graduate?
    £0-20000
    7.27%
    £20000-25000
    24.55%
    £25000-30000
    26.36%
    £30000-35000
    13.64%
    £35000-40000
    8.18%
    £40000+
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    I suspect you are calling us unrealistic. Quite a few users on TSR have training contracts at law firms or IB offers.
    I'm suggesting that it would be nice for just a single user to come back and prove that they were able to earn the figures they predicted. Would be an inspiration to alot of future users.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Company? Job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Patent office, and that's the after tax pay I believe. I'm only an intern since I haven't done my masters yet, but there's literally a bunch of big international companies that will throw money at grads as long as they have the qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Then why did you request us to provide evidence of earnings? You sounded like you were sceptic so that we'd make that much, at least that's what it looked like
    I'm suggesting that it would be nice for just a single user to come back and prove that they were able to earn the figures they predicted. Would be an inspiration to alot of future users.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Actually we'd most likely be branded as arrogant and boastful scum. Posting evidence of what one actually earns is distasteful and odd. Like I said, there are several lawyers and IB bankers on TSR already if they want inspiration. Also, a student forum isn't exactly the best place to get inspired tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Actually we'd most likely be branded as arrogant and boastful scum. Posting evidence of what one earns is distasteful and odd.
    Not when you're specifically asked for it. Feel free to bury it in a little-read subforum somewhere and tag me in. I am genuinely looking forward to congratulating the first person.

Like I said, there are several lawyers and IB bankers on TSR already if they want inspiration.
    But did any of them successfully predict their income with the certainty people here seem to be doing so? That's what I'm trying to find out.

ReputationRep:
    Doe Shamone know how much a consultant at a top firm could earn through their career. From entry to middle to partner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Deary me, students. You're going to be in for a severe reality check when you leave university, I tell you. Getting a job in itself is tricky enough, yet you all expect to waltz in to jobs paying £40k+ as soon as you graduate and with no problem whatsoever.
    I'm sure most of the people posting high figures here are pretty switched on and know where they want to head. I remember seeing you on another thread saying how you are still unemployed and live with your parents, despite graduating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Not when you're specifically asked for it. Feel free to bury it in a little-read subforum somewhere and tag me in. I am genuinely looking forward to congratulating the first person.

But did any of them successfully predict their income with the certainty people here seem to be doing so? That's what I'm trying to find out.
    Income in IB and commercial law is predictable. If they ended up where they set out, then they certainly achieved their goal starting sal. I suppose the scepticism is because these salaries are rare or seem absurdly high to outsiders. It's not for people who want to work in these sectors in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblyminty)
    Income in IB and commercial law is predictable. If they ended up where they set out, then they certainly achieved their goal starting sal.
    Excellent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblyminty)
    I'm sure most of the people posting high figures here are pretty switched on and know where they want to head. I remember seeing you on another thread saying how you are still unemployed and live with your parents, despite graduating.
    Where on Earth did I say that? I am a hardworking taxpayer, thank you very much.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    Doe Shamone know how much a consultant at a top firm could earn through their career. From entry to middle to partner
    define top

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Where on Earth did I say that? I am a hardworking taxpayer, thank you very much.
    And someone who makes 40k out of uni isn't? 😂 it's really not that deep

ReputationRep:
    define top

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Such as Accenture
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    Such as Accenture
    As much as I can remember, they're at £31k base + £10k over 2 years signing. Mid-level is probably high 5 figures (~£60-80k, for e.g. a manager), Senior Managers are £100-180k and MDs are on mid six figures on average (~£300-600k) with outliers on the higher side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm fully expecting to be unemployed for a good while after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    I expect to earn 28k (+2k starting bonus) starting in September. Graduation is not until December (I already have an undergrad degree however).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Please come back after your first year of graduating and post us a photo of your P60. I've been making the same request for the past 5 years on here and not one person has been kind enough to indulge us.
    I'll try! But I'm not going to earn that much for certain. It's a highly competitive job to get or I might decide to go for a different career, so you never know

ReputationRep:
    nobody works 100hrs a week for a year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How much do they work then? This is where I got the info from:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-b...ek-2013-4?IR=T

ReputationRep:
    A very brief summary of what I'm saying is hardly anyone wanting IB seems to know what expect means.

I can guarantee you 95% of the people that have posted so far will earn significantly less upon graduating. I think the term you're looking for is hope.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pairofjeans)
    A very brief summary of what I'm saying is hardly anyone wanting IB seems to know what expect means.

I can guarantee you 95% of the people that have posted so far will earn significantly less upon graduating. I think the term you're looking for is hope.
    Then I would say we're arguing over semantics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.