Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

C4 general solution of differential equation Watch

ReputationRep:
    Name:  148569934851771056137.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  348.9 KB hi for this question my answer isnt as simplified as the actual answer. The bit highlighted in orange is what I should have siMplified , by multiplying everything by 2. But I didn't do that so at the end I have a power of 1/2. Is that OK? The question doesn't state that it must be simplified ..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What was your final answer?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Name:  148569934851771056137.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  348.9 KB hi for this question my answer isnt as simplified as the actual answer. The bit highlighted in orange is what I should have siMplified , by multiplying everything by 2. But I didn't do that so at the end I have a power of 1/2. Is that OK? The question doesn't state that it must be simplified ..

Thanks
    Can you please post a picture of the actual question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Can you please post a picture of the actual question?
    Name:  14857001780831418120789.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  355.4 KB 2c thanks

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter if it doesn't say it needs to be simplified, but it's a bad habit to get into.

If I told you that X^(1/2) = 4, you'd immediately thing that x = 16. in the same way as me saying that (x/y)^1/2 = z^1/2 is just a silly way of saying (x/y) = z

ReputationRep:
    so then integral of d/dx is f(x) then make each in their own side and don't make them polynomial so that there should be a quick solution that the integrals are with respect to y and x separately?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    so then integral of d/dx is f(x) then make each in their own side and don't make them polynomial so that there should be a quick solution that the integrals are with respect to y and x separately?
    I don't know about the OP, but I really have no idea what you're trying to say here. Just because the subject is maths doesn't mean you don't need to construct cohesive sentences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I don't know about the OP, but I really have no idea what you're trying to say here. Just because the subject is maths doesn't mean you don't need to construct cohesive sentences.
    Haha sorry but that's just rude! I think I'm trying to say if f(y)dy/dx=f(x) then the solution is the integral of f(y)dy = the integral of f(x)dx for the differential equation?

ReputationRep:
    Haha sorry but that's just rude! I think I'm trying to say if f(y)dy/dx=f(x) then the solution is the integral of f(y)dy = the integral of f(x)dx for the differential equation?
    Well, that answer is certainly a lot clearer.

With your first response, I honestly couldn't work out what you were trying to say (with a high degree of confidence), and that's starting from a position of knowing exactly how to solve questions like this. What was "don't make them polynomial" supposed to mean, for example?

It's also a good idea to look at the other posts in the thread: the OP had already done the whole thing of separating variables and integrating, so both of your posts only speak to parts of the question they'd already done without issue.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't make any sense. But looking at some of your other posts, I have a feeling that English is not your first language. Is that correct?

If that's true then you really need to be careful when helping people with maths on an English speaking forum. If you are not confident that what you are writing makes sense then it's probably a good idea not to post, otherwise you may confuse the OP.

It's great that you are helping people with maths, just make sure you read through your replies carefully before posting them

ReputationRep:
    It's okay I was asking for clarification on the OPs question just as I still have to do some polynomials myself.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the help and appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay I was asking for clarification on the OPs question just as I still have to do some polynomials myself.
    Thanks for the help anyway. Don't feel disheartened or anything, English isn't my first language either

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.