Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Liberals seem to be incapable of comprehending what the "Muslim Ban" is about Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    I'm usually a big league supporter of The Donald, but he has gone too far this time!

Banning immigration from any country solves nothing - should instead focus on homegrown radicalism, access to firearms and Wahabbi mosques.

Spoiler:
    Show

Hopefully the liberals will find the time to express outrage at the 16 Islamic countries banning Israelis from entering - has existed for years and they never complain. Sad!

And let's not forget that half of those will require you to get a second passport if you have an Israeli stamp or visa in your first passport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Liberals just don't understand, or, rather, refuse to understand the rational thinking behind the ban.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Yeah just act like nothing's happened.

InshAllah soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well no you're right, it would be a big ask to expect a Muslim country to emulate a European country.

Soon.......good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    No he didn't... He banned Cubans who had entered the US illegally from acquiring citizenship.

Not that it it surprising that a Trump fan cannot tell the difference between the two scenarios.
    Thats right, in his last days in office Obama removed the long standing right of Cubans that braved the sea in homemade boats fleeing the Communist dictatorship of Cuba from gaining the right to stay if they set foot on US soil.

Yet he couldn't do enough for Mexican illegals......

Nothing to do with the fact that a lot of Cubans tend to vote Republican.

Petty small minded ****.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    No he didn't... He banned Cubans who had entered the US illegally from acquiring citizenship.

Not that it it surprising that a Trump fan cannot tell the difference between the two scenarios.
    If they entered illegally then why is it only citizenship being blocked, why are they not being deported?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is not about Muslims, this is more about money. He wants nothing to do with the poor Muslims countries but is still very eager to keep his connection with the rich muslim countries

I can't for the life of me imagine why...
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by joe cooley)
    You said the MP had dual nationality, not me.

You asked for a list of terrorist attacks during Obamas 2 terms, you didn't ask for terror attacks carried out by citizens of nations on the list.

Standard left wing reason for open borders:

We have native murderers, rapist etc. so no harm letting more in.

You want more countries on the list?

At last something we can agree on.
    1. I cant see where I said he had dual nationality, which post? He was born in Iran but he isnt a dual national he is a UK citizen. The MP. Theban was to apply because of where he was born. After the FCO intervention they have changed their minds.

2. I asked for a list to ascertain the numbers. I was pointing out the numbers are still very low compared to the 80-120,000 murders commited over the period. Its a question of perspective and proportionality. I pointed out the nationalities becayse the orders as given would have had zero effect on preventing any of those.

3. By your logic if they are letting murderers in, then perhaps the US should prevent anyone at all coming in from abroad and then no murders could happen. It should be a question of effeciveness and proportionality. As it stands the plan in nonsensical and ill thought out.

4. I didnt say i wanted more countries on the list, that is up to the USA. If I were targeting potential terrorists in the way they want, then I would have chosen different countries and not missed off the main ones where previous terrorists had come from. Nonsensical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHH

It was an exact copy of the executive order, not an opinion piece.

Idiot.
    I think gov.uk is more reliable when they have now cleared up what the order means .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Does anybody know of any countries where it is required, in accordance with the constitution, to be of a specific non-Islamic religion and failure to be a Muslim means you cannot vote, become a citizen, or hold public office?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its double standards, if they come to the UK or France, they should follow the UK and France's rules like we follow their rules when we go abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHH

It was an exact copy of the executive order, not an opinion piece.

Idiot.
    I don't why your laughing and calling me an idiot. YOU are the idiot as the government understand it now.
    Gov.uk>guardian
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    I think gov.uk is more reliable when they have now cleared up what the order means .
    Sigh. Read the actual executive order.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't why your laughing and calling me an idiot. YOU are the idiot as the government understand it now.
    Gov.uk>guardian
    Deary me you're dim.

You don't understand the difference between an executive order and an opinion piece. Nor can you spell, punctuate or form coherent arguments.

Late last night there was a qualification. Before that dual citizens weren't allowed, hence Nadeem Zahawi was not allowed in, nor Mo Farah, nor the Iraqi film director.

I don't understand how you can lack such basic comprehension skills.

Every time I think you can't say something more immature you amaze me by doing just that.

Time for your school anyway isn't it?

Child.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    I'm usually a big league supporter of The Donald, but he has gone too far this time!

Banning immigration from any country solves nothing - should instead focus on homegrown radicalism, access to firearms and Wahabbi mosques.

Spoiler:
    Show

Hopefully the liberals will find the time to express outrage at the 16 Islamic countries banning Israelis from entering - has existed for years and they never complain. Sad!

No one supports the banning of Israelis. In fact 'liberals' have long called for the cutting of ties with such countries.

Besides is that the standard we should be seeking to adhere to?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    Liberals just don't understand, or, rather, refuse to understand the rational thinking behind the ban.
    That would need there to be rational thinking behind it. As it is we've got Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen banned, with a grand total of 0 Americans killed by their citizens in the last 40 years, while Saudi Arabia (~2.5k in the same time frame) are allowed in. There is not rational thinking behind a ban to protect your citizens that lets in people from statistically the most dangerous nation, while banning relatively harmless nations around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Are you American, Joe? If not what nationality are you? I'm British btw.

That makes no sense at all. I would think having a UK passport, representing the country and being knighted is commitment enough. Similarly becoming an MP and being a UK citizen is commitment enough.
    I am no particular fan of Mo Farah. He is almost certainly a drug cheat, and the way he has been used as a poster child for multiculturalism (and of course is still being used for political purposes in this issue) will come back to bite those who have done it, if and when his drug abuse is ever proven.

But although he is definitely to blame for gaining medals and fame through unfair and illegal means, he is not to blame for the way he has been politicised. Nor is he any kind of terrorist threat.

But that doesn't mean that UK Muslims entering the US do not constitute a much higher statistical risk of being a terrorist than non Muslims. And that almost all UK Muslims are from the diaspora of Muslim countries.

So whilst this process is crude and perhaps an ineffective measure. A sledgehammer to crack a nut. You can see the rationale behind it.

We are not prepared to accept the fact that UK Muslims constitute a terror threat. We don't want to tar the vast majority of innocent people with the guilt of their coreligionists. We prefer to be in denial about it. It is a taboo subject.

But Trump and his movement have no such taboo.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    I am no particular fan of Mo Farah. He is almost certainly a drug cheat, and the way he has been used as a poster child for multiculturalism (and of course is still being used for political purposes in this issue) will come back to bite those who have done it, if and when his drug abuse is ever proven.

But although he is definitely to blame for gaining medals and fame through unfair and illegal means, he is not to blame for the way he has been politicised. Nor is he any kind of terrorist threat.

But that doesn't mean that UK Muslims entering the US do not constitute a much higher statistical risk of being a terrorist than non Muslims. And that almost all UK Muslims are from the diaspora of Muslim countries.

So whilst this process is crude and perhaps an ineffective measure. A sledgehammer to crack a nut. You can see the rationale behind it.

We are not prepared to accept the fact that UK Muslims constitute a terror threat. We don't want to tar the vast majority of innocent people with the guilt of their coreligionists. We prefer to be in denial about it. It is a taboo subject.

But Trump and his movement have no such taboo.
    What the hell are you talking about? I think I'm lost in the translation here

ReputationRep:
    Someone called Doctor Johnson once said something which is relevant here. Something tells me that you won't have heard of him, but he was a bigshot in the eighteenth century. Look him up on Wiki if you are interested, fascinating guy.

Anyway he said better than I ever could, what I very much felt when I read your post:

"Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding."
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The US embassy has now confirmed that the ban does apply to dual nationals. So much for Boris Johnson's statement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe cooley)
    I have pointed this anomaly out to them and apparently they hold the US to higher standards than Muslim countries, for some unspecified reason.

It may be connected to the soft bigotry of low expectations, but don't mention that to a liberal, their heads explode when you highlight their bigotry and racism!
    You're wrong- many criticise Saudi Arabia among the left. You act like holding the US to a higher standard than Saudi Arabia is bigoted. Do you not realise that it's possible to both 1) think Saudi's government is wrong and 2) think the US, the bastion of Western Democracy and so-called 'leader of the free world' should do better than a country like SA which many chastise anyway?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Pray tell what bearing that actually has on the statement, I mean, it's not like that is a quote from Wikipedia about modern Iran.
    The US embassy in the U.K. Has now stopped issuing visas to dual nationals. Looks like you were wrong.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.