Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struggler07)
    Of course gambling harms others look how much problems gambling has on others
    Again, you're taking a small percentage of cases and generalising.

The majority of people who gamble and lose harms no-one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Again, you're taking a small percentage of cases and generalising.

The majority of people who gamble and lose harms no-one.
    True I'm talking about the people who gamble everyday and ask for money from their friends or family to use to gamble

ReputationRep:
    True I'm talking about the people who gamble everyday and ask for money from their friends or family to use to gamble
    So you're talking about addiction to gambling, not gambling in itself.

No-one would say gambling addiction is a good thing. I'm not sure what your point is.

ReputationRep:
    So you're talking about addiction to gambling, not gambling in itself.

No-one would say gambling addiction is a good thing. I'm not sure what your point is.
    I'm talking about gambling addictions I know a few

ReputationRep:
    Gambling is poison everyone should avoid it

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about gambling addictions I know a few
    Well you began this thread by asking why people gamble. You didn't mention addiction at all.

Gambling is poison everyone should avoid it
    Not really. Alcohol can be just as harmful as gambling. Sex can be just as harmful as alcohol. Cake can be just as harmful as sex.

Just because someone gambles, doesn't mean they'll become an addict. As I said, out of the many many people who gamble, only a small percentage of them become full blown addicts who ruin their lives.

So stop generalising. It's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Well you began this thread by asking why people gamble. You didn't mention addiction at all

Not really. Alcohol can be just as harmful as gambling. Sex can be just as harmful as alcohol. Cake can be just as harmful as sex.

Just because someone gambles, doesn't mean they'll become an addict. As I said, out of the many many people who gamble, only a small percentage of them become full blown addicts who ruin their lives.

So stop generalising. It's ridiculous.
    Sorry for not making myself clear I mean addicts not normal people, it's true what your saying only a small percentage turn out to be gambling addicts the longer you gamble the more addicted you will be in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    The ironic thing is gamblers say that expsive clothes are expensive like £100 jeans they don't realise the amount the spend and lose on gambling

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for not making myself clear I mean addicts not normal people, it's true what your saying only a small percentage turn out to be gambling addicts the longer you gamble the more addicted you will be in my opinion
    Again, untrue.

Gambling addiction is a very particular cognitive dependence. It's neither increased or decreased by duration.

Nothing wrong with gambling.

ReputationRep:
    Again, untrue.

Gambling addiction is a very particular cognitive dependence. It's neither increased or decreased by duration.

Nothing wrong with gambling.
    What's cognitive and yeah someone I know gambling habits has definitely increased things just get worse for her she won't stop

ReputationRep:
    What's cognitive and yeah someone I know gambling habits has definitely increased things just get worse for her she won't stop
    So the real issue is the person, not gambling.

Why won't she stop? What does she do?

ReputationRep:
    So the real issue is the person, not gambling.

Why won't she stop? What does she do?
    Yeah and she can't she's too addicted to gambling she's on benefits so money's hard for her and she gambles online

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and she can't she's too addicted to gambling she's on benefits so money's hard for her and she gambles online
    Gambling is not the issue.

Have you tried talking to her in a constructive intervention-like manner?

Perhaps engaging her? Spending time with her? Taking part in her other hobbies with her?

ReputationRep:
    Gambling is not the issue.

Have you tried talking to her in a constructive intervention-like manner?

Perhaps engaging her? Spending time with her? Taking part in her other hobbies with her?
    You sure and I have spoke to her load of times saying do other hobbies etc even my councillor spoke to her 5 years ago and she don't really have no other hobbies

ReputationRep:
    Gambling addicts don't realise the value of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2944572)
    Its the "get rich quick scheme"
    Oh and also lose your whole life overnight scheme X
    Lol trust me your gonna lose more than you win and your gonna keep coming back to gamble like a mug

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiep)
    The possibility/thrill to gain big.
    Your gonna lose big that's a definite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kangs)
    mental disorder
    Trust me hate all forms of gambling

ReputationRep:
    Actually playing anything release the mental pressure. And it's refresh the mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChillianG)
    Actually playing anything release the mental pressure. And it's refresh the mind.
    That's a point but it's not worth it in the long run

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.