Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Register to vote or you could be fined £80 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a 1st year student who is living in Sheffield. Me and my flatmates have been receiving these letters telling us to register to vote or we could be fined £80.

I have been registered to vote in my home constituency of since 2015 when I turned 18, and I have been actively voting there. I voted in last year's council elections and the EU referendum.

However, Sheffield City Council are now asking me to register to vote in Sheffield or I could be fined £80. I don't ever intend to vote in Sheffield as I will always be at home during the months in which election normally happen, therefore I want to vote at home. This means that I don't particularly want to register to vote in Sheffield.

I understand that registering to vote and being on the electoral register is a legal requirement. However I am already on the electoral register as I vote in my home constituency, and don't want to register in a place where I will never vote.

Are Sheffield City Council allowed to force me to register to vote in Sheffield? I don't particularly want to as I already vote at home, and threat of the £80 fine scares me, as it would seriously mess up my student finance for the whole semester.

All help would be appreciated
    Many Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswaldini)
    I am currently a 1st year student who is living in Sheffield. Me and my flatmates have been receiving these letters telling us to register to vote or we could be fined £80.

I have been registered to vote in my home constituency of since 2015 when I turned 18, and I have been actively voting there. I voted in last year's council elections and the EU referendum.

However, Sheffield City Council are now asking me to register to vote in Sheffield or I could be fined £80. I don't ever intend to vote in Sheffield as I will always be at home during the months in which election normally happen, therefore I want to vote at home. This means that I don't particularly want to register to vote in Sheffield.

I understand that registering to vote and being on the electoral register is a legal requirement. However I am already on the electoral register as I vote in my home constituency, and don't want to register in a place where I will never vote.

Are Sheffield City Council allowed to force me to register to vote in Sheffield? I don't particularly want to as I already vote at home, and threat of the £80 fine scares me, as it would seriously mess up my student finance for the whole semester.

All help would be appreciated
    Many Thanks
    you can be registered at both addresses, as long as you only vote in one area for general elections. Not being registered at your university address could be affecting your credit rating if you happened to have changed anything financial to that address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    you can be registered at both addresses, as long as you only vote in one area for general elections. Not being registered at your university address could be affecting your credit rating if you happened to have changed anything financial to that address.
    Thank you for your reply. All of my bank cards are registered at my home address. Could this affect my credit rating if they are registered at my home address. I don't really want to register in Sheffield unless I absolutely have to.

Many Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswaldini)
    Thank you for your reply. All of my bank cards are registered at my home address. Could this affect my credit rating if they are registered at my home address. I don't really want to register in Sheffield unless I absolutely have to.

Many Thanks
    No if nothings in your current address it wont do any harm, students being registered at 2 addresses is normal really. Personally registering wont do any harm so why not do it to get them off your back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    No if nothings in your current address it wont do any harm, students being registered at 2 addresses is normal really. Personally registering wont do any harm so why not do it to get them off your back
    Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Funny you should mention this. Just today I heard about over SIX THOUSAND people who have suddenly been taken off the Electoral Register without their permission or knowledge in my constituency; Newry and Armagh. A local representative called round to my house the other night to double check the names of me and my son. The local Electoral Registration office for the whole region is in a predominantly Protestant area [Banbridge]. The overwhelming majority of constituents from Newry and Armagh will be Catholic. A year ago, when I went to register my son's name on the Register so he could vote in the General Election the guy in the office at first was really nice to me.[I have an English accent]. But you should have seen the look on his face when he read the application form and saw my son's very Irish name. His whole demeanor changed. Suddenly, I had the wrong documents. I didn't. Then the change of surname Deed Poll of my son's wasn't legitimate. It was. It was signed and stamped by the High Court, and ten copies were issued to me. He was trying to make out I was giving him a forged document.I said if he wanted I would telephone my solicitor right now and she will verify the document is genuine. He went in the back and was there for about ten minutes. When he came back he literally snatched the document out of my hand and snapped "fine". There was a report a few years ago that the Protestant population is in decline and the difference between the two religions in Northern Ireland was narrowing. Many many people will be deeply unhappy about this,let me tell you,and will see is as a threat to NI remaining in the UK if one day Catholics become a majority, which is just ********. My son and his friends, not one of them, give a flying **** about a united Ireland. But yes, Sinn Fein have, in the last few days, gone round to the Banbridge Electoral Office and personally handed over thousands of fresh applications for people o be included on the Electoral Register. We'll see if they all vanish a second time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Funny you should mention this. Just today I heard about over SIX THOUSAND people who have suddenly been taken off the Electoral Register without their permission or knowledge in my constituency. A local representative called round to my house the other night to double check the names of me and my son. The local Electoral Registration office for the whole region is in a predominantly Protestant area [Banbridge]. The overwhelming majority of constituents from Newry and Armagh will be Catholic. A year ago, when I went to register my son's name on the Register so he could vote in the General Election the guy in the office at first was really nice to me.[I have an English accent]. But you should have seen the look on his face when he read the application form and saw my son's very Irish name. His whole demeanor changed. Suddenly, I had the wrong documents. I didn't. Then the change of surname Deed Poll of my son's wasn't legitimate. It was. It was signed and stamped by the High Court, and ten copies were issued to me. He was trying to make out I was giving him a forged document.I said if he wanted I would telephone my solicitor right now and she will verify the document is genuine. He went in the back and was there for about ten minutes. When he came back he literally snatched the document out of my hand and snapped "fine". There was a report a few years ago that the Protestant population is in decline and the difference between the two religions in Northern Ireland was narrowing. Many many people will be deeply unhappy about this,let me tell you,and will see is as a threat to NI remaining in the UK if one day Catholics become a majority, which is just ********. My son and his friends, not one of them, give a flying **** about a united Ireland. But yes, Sinn Fein have, in the last few days, gone round to the Banbridge Electoral Office and personally handed over thousands of fresh applications for people o be included on the Electoral Register. We'll see if they all vanish a second time.
    While I'm not an expert on anything Ireland related, the fact that so many people are being removed from the electoral register because of a religion related issue is ridiculous. Also the fact that the guy in the office changed his tone when he found out your son was Irish is clearly discrimination. Unacceptable. These people are supposed to represent democracy, yet they are trying to deny a vote to someone who is entitled to one because he's Irish. I bet the office guy felt stupid when your solicitor verified the documents. Hope everything worked out.

ReputationRep:
    Funny you should mention this. Just today I heard about over SIX THOUSAND people who have suddenly been taken off the Electoral Register without their permission or knowledge in my constituency; Newry and Armagh
    Yes, people who didn't respond to the electoral canvass even though it is a legal requirement and they are contacted several times. In short, people who are not simply subject to administrative error (having, say, moved and not been properly filed) should count themselves lucky they're not being charged with a criminal offence.

A year ago, when I went to register my son's name on the Register so he could vote in the General Election
    There's obvious issues of fraud that arise from someone appearing to influence the electoral status of a second person. Your child would've been an adult and an individual elector - required to sign the relevant forms and satisfy the electoral officers of their status. It's a bit bizarre that you'd be doing this in the first place. At any rate, you'd only need to present supporting documentation if a request to be placed on the register had been submitted and further information requested - generally it is checked against other publicly held information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yes, people who didn't respond to the electoral canvass even though it is a legal requirement and they are contacted several times. In short, people who are not simply subject to administrative error (having, say, moved and not been properly filed) should count themselves lucky they're not being charged with a criminal offence.

6,000 people were already listed on the Electoral Register. They did everything they were supposed to do in the proper time frame. Their details have since been removed without their permission.

There's obvious issues of fraud that arise from someone appearing to influence the electoral status of a second person. Your child would've been an adult and an individual elector - required to sign the relevant forms and satisfy the electoral officers of their status. It's a bit bizarre that you'd be doing this in the first place. At any rate, you'd only need to present supporting documentation if a request to be placed on the register had been submitted and further information requested - generally it is checked against other publicly held information.
    I telephoned the Banbridge Electoral Office and asked if it was OK if I went down with the form as my son was at college. They said as long as it was my son who had signed it, and it had been properly countersigned by someone like a GP or someone similar then provided I went down with it before the office closed that day, it would be accepted and his name would be put on. If it really had been a problem they wouldn't have accepted the form from me in the end, would they?

ReputationRep:
    I telephoned the Banbridge Electoral Office and asked if it was OK if I went down with the form as my son was at college. They said as long as it was my son who had signed it, and it had been properly countersigned by someone like a GP or someone similar then provided I went down with it before the office closed that day, it would be accepted and his name would be put on. If it really had been a problem they wouldn't have accepted the form from me in the end, would they?
    Still a rather odd approach given that he could just have posted it in. Oh, and electoral registration forms don't require countersigning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Still a rather odd approach given that he could just have posted it in. Oh, and electoral registration forms don't require countersigning.
    I remember now. It was for an Electoral Identity Card. A local councillor had countersigned his photo, and i'm assuming the form as well but can't remember. It was the last day to be able to apply for one in time to be able to vote in the forthcoming GE. My son had never had one before and had no other form of ID. He didn't have a passport or driving licence.[Still doesn't ! ] She said she wasn't 100 percent certain but thought it was too late to post it so best to go down in person with it and the photos. My son was at college all day and couldn't go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.