Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to write a speech discussing to what extent may Macbeth be viewed as a victim or a villain. If you guys could give me some ideas it would be much appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely talk about how Shakespeare referred to the play as a tragedy which indicates he intended for Macbeth to fall from his grace as a result of the evil and greed he portrays. I would also talk about the way he is portrayed as a loyal courageous man at the opening.

Additionally, on the other hand you could discuss the how he becomes a villain which is especially significant when he orders Banquo's death.

I hope this helps a little!

Hazel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamzaGhen)
    I need to write a speech discussing to what extent may Macbeth be viewed as a victim or a villain. If you guys could give me some ideas it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    If you were arguing victim, you can talk about all of the influences on him throughout the play which led to his downfall. Things like the Supernatural forces and Lady Macbeth, how the witches prophecies and possibly fate made what happened inevitable, and how his wife manipulated him and emasculated him (you could link this to a contemporary audience and explain how, by doing this, Shakespeare makes the audience sympathise and have some understanding for Macbeth and thus presents him as a victim) until he killed Duncan, You could also mention his ambition and how from the beginning of the play we know that he is a very ambitious character, and his own ambition appears to control him and his actions, and so he is very much a victim of his own desire for power.

I would also talk about not only this, but how Shakespeare presents him before and after each of these events, e.g. Hallucinating the dagger, seeing Banquo's ghost etc. which are indicative of his emotions and that he is remorseful and this also suggests he is a victim.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.