Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Greetings, My names James, I'm 16 living in southern England.

I am currently studying for my GCSEs; due to my low/non-existent work ethic over my 16 years alive, have been assigned extremely low predicted grades, ascribing me Cs, Bs and a few As (very few). However, it is a dream of mine to go to an Oxbridge college; I know I have the potential but do not know what to do from here, to assure myself a chance at achieving and living my dreams.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, I understand it's going to be a rigmarole for me but I am willing to try anything: please be straight (blunt if necessary) with me if needed.

Thank you,
    -James.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go Oxford, you need to get about 8A*'s at GCSE, then AAA at A-level. Cambridge you need more like straight A's and a couple A*'s at GCSE and then A*A*A/A*AA at A-level. Either way you cant be getting C's. Just revise, a lot. Do past papers, and then do them again. Make sure you understand every topic before you move on to the next. Ask for help. Make your own notes. Watch youtube videos. Make a revision timetable if that helps. Just revise and get A's, because without A's it will be extremely difficult to get into Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex.anne)
    If you want to go Oxford, you need to get about 8A*'s at GCSE, then AAA at A-level.
    You certainly don't need that many A*s (there is no minimum requirement) but the average applicant will have around 6. So the OP's GCSEs aren't looking particularly strong. The standard A-level offers at Oxford are A*A*A/A*AA/AAA depending on what the OP is interested in and it would be important to be predicted the standard offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.P.Lichterman)

I am currently studying for my GCSEs; due to my low/non-existent work ethic over my 16 years alive, have been assigned extremely low predicted grades, ascribing me Cs, Bs and a few As (very few). However, it is a dream of mine to go to an Oxbridge college; I know I have the potential but do not know what to do from here, to assure myself a chance at achieving and living my dreams.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, I understand it's going to be a rigmarole for me but I am willing to try anything: please be straight (blunt if necessary) with me if needed.

Thank you,
    -James.
    OP - what subjects are you interested in? I am also a bit worried that you wouldn't enjoy your time at Oxford or Cambridge with a low work ethic.

ReputationRep:
    Good grades, hard work.
    And the most important of all .... Dank Memes, build up your collection so you can show them in your interview

ReputationRep:
    The thing about Oxbridge is that the workload is immense and constant. If you aren't up for it, you won't cope, let alone get in.

You really need to turn around your poor work ethic and procrasination. It's about making studying a habit. And the only way you make something a habit is to keep doing something regularly.

If you find this a huge struggle and have the funds, pay for a coach or mentor to help you out.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.P.Lichterman)

Thank you,
    -James.
    With your current work ethic, unfortunately you don't really have much of a chance of achieving the grades required - however if you really are passionate about going to Oxbridge, use that as motivation to study harder and get at least A grades in your GCSEs. Yes, some students at Oxbridge have got in with lower GCSE grades, but the better you do now the easier it will be at A level to keep on top of the work and come out with top A level grades. Just because there aren't any strict GCSE requirements doesn't mean you can laze around

There are loads of articles online or "boost my grades" blogs on TSR which can give you some ideas of what exactly to do to get higher grades for each of your subjects. Generally, I would say you need to pay 100% attention in class, do ALL your homework to the very best of your ability (not rushed), and redo any homework questions you get wrong until you can get them right. Don't be afraid to ask your teachers to explain anything you don't understand.

GCSEs are often just about memorising loads of random stuff - for a lot of subjects your best bet are the CGP revision guides. Make sure you understand everything in them and practice writing out each page from memory. Use the tests at the end of each chapter to ensure you really understood all the content.

When it gets to the Easter vacation, hopefully you will have studied most of the content and revised a lot already from revision guides etc. - this is the time to start looking at past papers. Do these strictly under timed conditions and make sure to mark them VERY STRICTLY against the official mark scheme. Take note of which questions come up frequently and write perfect example answers to memorise.

ReputationRep:
    Put bluntly work harder, do better. Oxbridge is all about the academics and drive and passion. If you don't have them then you don't have much of a chance. All the other good advice is fluff unless you deliver on the basics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiep)
    Good grades, hard work.
    And the most important of all .... Dank Memes, build up your collection so you can show them in your interview
    Your dankitude is most impressive sir. Kek be praised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadmus)
    Your dankitude is most impressive sir. Kek be praised.
    Thanks, Kind Sir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    OP - what subjects are you interested in? I am also a bit worried that you wouldn't enjoy your time at Oxford or Cambridge with a low work ethic.
    I want to study Law.

Furthermore if I may add something: my poor work ethic is a thing of the past. I am willing to work as hard as I can, and will work as hard as I can, to get where I need to be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.