Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to deal with beggars when begging is illegal. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Living in London is definitely very different and unique. Having been born and bred in this beautiful city - I have had the pleasure to meet people from all walks of life. I love the diversity and multiculturalism here and the nightlife here is very very good too.

You see the nice big buildings and also rich people too.

However, one thing that has been really annoying me is beggars in general. I come across a lot of beggars on my way home from work and to be fair - I don't like it when they stop me and ask me for money. They say stuff like "I'm homeless, I have no job" but most of the time these same beggars are either taking drugs or are actually not homeless. I saw one buy drugs from a dealer on my way home one day and I saw a group of them enter a house. I know not all beggars are fake but by giving money to them - they are just going to use that to buy drugs and booze (most of the time). I know there are also a lot of charities helping them out too but when I state this they tend to just walk off.

If begging is illegal, why don't the police do anything about it? Come on, not everyone (bar beggars) has money in this day and age and a lot of people are changing their lifestyle also.

Tell them to **** off. If the beggar reaches for his pocket then run like hell.

To be fair tho, if I was homeless I would be trying to get my hands on any booze and drugs I could.

Dont expect the cops to do anything tho, they are useless scum.

ReputationRep:
      give them a sandwich.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by the bear)
      give them a sandwich.
      Tried giving them a slice of chicken I bought from a chicken shop and the guy took it and gave me some look - like literally he wanted money not food. Just goes to show how fake most beggars really are

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yunglife)
      Tried giving them a slice of chicken I bought from a chicken shop and the guy took it and gave me some look - like literally he wanted money not food. Just goes to show how fake most beggars really are

ReputationRep:
      Ignore them

ReputationRep:
      Living in London is definitely very different and unique. Having been born and bred in this beautiful city - I have had the pleasure to meet people from all walks of life. I love the diversity and multiculturalism here and the nightlife here is very very good too.

You see the nice big buildings and also rich people too.

However, one thing that has been really annoying me is beggars in general. I come across a lot of beggars on my way home from work and to be fair - I don't like it when they stop me and ask me for money. They say stuff like "I'm homeless, I have no job" but most of the time these same beggars are either taking drugs or are actually not homeless. I saw one buy drugs from a dealer on my way home one day and I saw a group of them enter a house. I know not all beggars are fake but by giving money to them - they are just going to use that to buy drugs and booze (most of the time). I know there are also a lot of charities helping them out too but when I state this they tend to just walk off.

If begging is illegal, why don't the police do anything about it? Come on, not everyone (bar beggars) has money in this day and age and a lot of people are changing their lifestyle also.

begging is annoying, i'll give you that. I get asked for money an awful lot too. But at the end of the day a good amount of beggars are actually homeless and jobless with either nothing or not more than a couple of pounds to their name and end up asking for money.

most are pretty thick too. I think I saw somewhere that the average IQ of a beggar was like 85

they see begging as their only real means of survival

there are definitely some frauds about though and people pretending to be homeless.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ANM775)
      begging is annoying, i'll give you that. I get asked for money an awful lot too. But at the end of the day a good amount of beggars are actually homeless and jobless with either nothing or not more than a couple of pounds to their name and end up asking for money.

most are pretty thick too. I think I saw somewhere that the average IQ of a beggar was like 85

they see begging as their only real means of survival

there are definitely some frauds about though and people pretending to be homeless.
      So what do you do?

ReputationRep:
      So it's a massive social problem associated with mental health issues and poverty. I agree that in a civilised society begging, let alone rough sleeping, shouldn't be tolerated. But to really solve it would require the provision of resources to address the root causes. What do you expect the police to do currently with the beggars they arrest. In the meanwhile just be grateful you're not in this position and walk by.

ReputationRep:
      So what do you do?

Personally I just ignore them these days. It's been like 7/8 years since i gave a beggar any money ... begging is just too widespread these days and im sick of constantly being asked.

Sometimes if a particular begging kept bothering me day in day out i'd start telling them look my name's not Barkleys ... i'm not a bank, go to the bank if you need a loan, [I even gave one beggar a leaflet once]. sometimes i would say to them too "you always say that" if the come asking for money using the same old sob story. my favorite sob story I heard was "my son's been in a road accident and i have no money for the bus, i need some money to get to xxxx hospital, please.."

another good one they used that usually got people to stop was that they would walk towards you and say "excuse me, can you help me?" and then when you stopped and said yes [thinking they want directions or something] they'd start begging for money

ReputationRep:
      Had my most worrying interaction with a beggar yet the other day on the way to work.

Came out the shop walking towards train station and he stopped me and asked for some change and said he's sick of being ignored and he nearly knocked the Asian guy down there out for ignoring him. So I gave him a bit of change to calm him down and walked off and he followed me insisting I go to a cash point and get £10 or £20 out for him so he can get a room. Kept trying to get him to go away but he wouldn't and said he's gonna ask me nicely one more time but he's gonna end up knocking someone out in a minute.

I walked him to the station and got my ticket whilst he was still stood around mithering me and then said "just need to check what time the train goes" and walked towards the screens. Kept power walking toward the barrier, put my ticket in and went through the other side whilst the security guard wouldn't let him through cos he didn't have a ticket! Haha flipped him off from behind the barrier and mouthed F you for good measure and then went and hopped on the train!

Little prick. At least I wasted 10 minutes of his life I suppose if nothing else.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.