Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test two months ago and just recently got insured on my dad's car. I drove perfectly in my instructor's car and I drove my dad's car today it was really hard and I kept stalling and rolling when doing a hill start. The behind me horned at me (I would too if I was them), my dad was shouting at me and he had to swap seat with me at the end. I lost my confidence.... What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    Practise more and you will be comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Ring the police to report your missing confidence. Ask them to look in the lost and found section to see if someone returned it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoodPharaoh)
    Ring the police to report your missing confidence. Ask them to look in the lost and found section to see if someone returned it
    I wish hahahah ;D

ReputationRep:
    Consider getting P plates to warn drivers to not be too impatient (it doesn't always help but it sometimes can).
    Other than that, practice, practice and practice
    This is where the real learning begins.

ReputationRep:
    You get more confident the more you drive, so just drive more and tell your dad to **** off cus shouting doesn't help. Passenger driver parents are the worst.

ReputationRep:
    As others have more or less said, the more you drive the easier it becomes, you'll feel more comfortable the more you do it and your confidence will grow.

ReputationRep:
    You just need practice, each car is different to drive. You need to be more confident, you're bound to make mistakes and it's not the end of the world. Not like you crashed or killed someone, just stalked.

Take it slow and practice.
    • Welcome Squad

just keep going! i kept stalling going up a hill but i got it eventually

ReputationRep:
    It's about lots of practice. You have to realise too that even experienced and confident drives still make mistakes and there's always impatient driving idiots around. Once you have some experience under your belt RoSPA Advanced Driving tuition can help too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miyuki63)
    I passed my test two months ago and just recently got insured on my dad's car. I drove perfectly in my instructor's car and I drove my dad's car today it was really hard and I kept stalling and rolling when doing a hill start. The behind me horned at me (I would too if I was them), my dad was shouting at me and he had to swap seat with me at the end. I lost my confidence.... What can I do?
    I can only echo what the others have said and practice, practice, practice, and all cars are different. This is where the real learning begins. Also, if you haven't already, maybe consider getting 'P' plates for the car to make other road users aware, doesn't always work as some are just impatient idiots but it'll make them aware that you've recently passed !

Also, your dad shouting doesn't exactly help with your confidence, if he was doing this throughout the drive then maybe calmly explain that the next time he's in the car with you to remain patient until you're used to driving the car and you've built your confidence up

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.