Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently studying Marketing in university (1st year). I am thinking about transferring my credits to open universityour because it is financially and logically better for my situation.

Before I do, I would like some first hand knowledge of the difference between the two learning styles, support, group work and modules.

Thank you for any responses!

ReputationRep:
    With the OU you have to do it all on your own with the books they provide and the module website. Most modules have tutorials which are delivered in person or online with one per TMA block. Some OU modules have exams some don't but all use continuous assessment to track and measure performance. You may be able to transfer some or all of the credits you've achieved from brick uni but you need to get advice on this. See http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/.

Most people would tell you that studying with the OU is just like brick without the lectures and the need to go to a specific place all the time. Be warned however that you have to be VERY self motivated and disciplined or you simply won't do the work. Its easy to get distracted and if you study more than one module at once you'll need to try and stay at least 4 weeks ahead of the study planner to avoid falling behind due to multiple deadlines. Organisation is key.

If you live in Scotland in particular the OU is a no brainer when all is said and done as you get a grant instead of a loan. Debt free degree. Not sure what the situation is in England but given they're building a neoliberal capitalist utopia down there I wouldn't be surprised if they were paying £35,000 for an undergrad degree soon.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, I agree the motivation will be the difficulty of the switch.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to a brick but I'm on OU now, my second year.
    The first was definitely easier and I'm definitely struggling to do two modules this year. Definitely not liking one of them, about to post a thread see if anyone can offer any advice.

With OU there's online tutorials and in school tutorials and you can choose to go to them, they're not mandatory but they're very helpful.
    They also keep recordings of the online tutorials so you can re-watch and get help when you need it. You can also ring or email your tutor whenever you want and the groups tend to be small (depends on how many has enrolled really).

You get a bazillion books though to help, oh and dvds. You gotta keep on top of your work though as you quickly find yourself slipping even though you think you've done everything.
    If you have any questions on anything specific, feel free to ask- I'm currently procrastinating my latest TMA thats due in 2 days haha!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.