Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How old do you think is old? Watch

• Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    How old is old? As we progress with science, people are living longer and when someone in their 60s and 70s dies, we often don't think of them as old anymore. When do you think is an 'okay' age to be classed as old or pass away and not say 'oh they were too young'. When will you class yourself as old :shakecane:

Personally I think 80s, but if I'm well enough to have a good quality I life maybe late 80s. I think it's all about how you feel inside
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    40+

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends in what context

ReputationRep:
    60+

ReputationRep:
    I'd say 50+
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    70+

Though saying that, my gran is 73 and she has better health and more energy than I have and I'm young. I think the perception of 'old' comes down to how old you feel and act rather than just how old you physically are.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    30+

ReputationRep:
    Old, young... these are just words.
    But you will notice that we all have different ideas about it. Yeah, every thing is subjective.. So if you think or feel it's old, then it simply is ~
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    40+
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Twice whatever my current age is, so I never catch up with it. :proud:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    75+

ReputationRep:
    im about to hit 21 and i feel old af ://

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the average life expectancy of the time. If the average life expectancy now is 70(I don't know what it actually is), then 70 is old. If the average life expectancy eventually becomes 120, then 120 will be old. This accounts for improvements in medicine which allow you to continue being healthy for longer.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    age is certainly down to perception. I guess i'd say i felt mid 70's was old. my dad passed at 36 so i dont see being in my 20's as young whereas most people probably would.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    Depends on the average life expectancy of the time. If the average life expectancy now is 70(I don't know what it actually is), then 70 is old. If the average life expectancy eventually becomes 120, then 120 will be old. This accounts for improvements in medicine which allow you to continue being healthy for longer.
    I think in the UK it's late 70s for men and early 80s for women

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    age is certainly down to perception. I guess i'd say i felt mid 70's was old. my dad passed at 36 so i dont see being in my 20's as young whereas most people probably would.
    36 is so young to pass away :hugs: I think of people in their 70s as young to pass away now a days!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you lose your inner child

About 45+
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    36 is so young to pass away :hugs: I think of people in their 70s as young to pass away now a days!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel very lucky that two of my grandparents are still going at 76, dad being so young did shift my perception of age massively but it does make me make the most of life so there's some good out of an awful experience i suppose.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.