Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V1096 – Drink Driving Penalties Bill 2017 (Second Reading) Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    50.00%
    On the contrary, No
    37.50%
    Abstain
    12.50%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    V1096 – Drink Driving Penalties Bill 2017 (Second Reading), TSR Conservative Party

A

BILL

TO

increase the penalty for being caught in charge of a vehicle whilst over the legal limit, or driving or attempting to drive a vehicle whilst over the legal limit.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Punishment for being in charge of a vehicle whilst over the legal limit, or unfit through drink
    (1) In addition to the current penalties, the person will be subject to:
    a. Minimum 25 hours community service, and a maximum of 75 hours community service.

2 Punishment for driving or attempting to drive a vehicle whilst over the legal limit, or unfit through drink
    (1) In addition to the current penalties, the person will be subject to:
    a. Minimum 100 hours community service, and a maximum of 200 hours community service.
    b. A minimum £2,500 fine.
    (2) If the person has over 105 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath (3x the legal limit):
    a. A minimum 3 month prison sentence.

3 Commencement, short title and extent
    (1) This Act shall come into force on 1st March 2017.
    (2) This Act shall be named the Drink Driving Penalty Act 2017.
    (3) This Act extends to all of the United Kingdom.

Please note: this Bill does not change anything in terms of whether or not you would be prosecuted for, and why someone may be prosecuted for being in charge of, attempting to, or driving a vehicle whilst unfit, it just changes the punishments.

Changes for second reading:
    - Added maximum community service sentences
    - Decreased minimum fine to £2,500
    - Removed definitions - they are the same as currently in law

Notes
    Spoiler:
    Show

Whilst the number of drink drivers that cause fatal crashes is decreasing, it's still a number of unnecessary deaths that can be avoided, by deterring drivers from doing it, one way, through larger incentives not to.

This Bill keeps the current penalties which are in place, but adds additional minimum penalties in the form of community service and financial penalty as a further incentive, as at the moment, if someone is caught drink driving and hasn't caused a crash, there is only the ban, and a relatively small financial penalty, which clearly isn't working as well as it could.

These are the current punishments:
    Being in charge of vehicle while above the legal limit or unfit through drink You may get:
    - 3 months' imprisonment
    - up to £2,500 fine
    - a possible driving ban

and

Driving or attempting to drive while above the legal limit or unfit through drink You may get:
    - 6 months' imprisonment
    - an unlimited fine
    - a driving ban for at least 1 year (3 years if convicted twice within 10 years)

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Let's try for a third time: for the purposes of this bill what forms of transport are covered?

Do the authors even know because their incapacity to answer suggests otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Minimum penalties are wrong, especially ones which are designed specifically to attack the poor.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay because people could get fined for sitting in a stationary car drunk.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm pleased to see the strange definitions have come out. What is making me question voting for this is that 100 hours is a lot of community service for a minimum penalty for drink-driving. Unless you cause a serious accident I don't really see it as a 100-hours-of-community-service level crime.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Let's try for a third time: for the purposes of this bill what forms of transport are covered?

Do the authors even know because their incapacity to answer suggests otherwise?
    I believe it's irrelevant considering that this does not change anything about whether or not someone is prosecuted/charged/whatever for driving whilst unfit/attempting to/being in charge of, just changes the penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    You should vote nay but this is the case already.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    You already can to be fair...(though discretion is absolutely used as is already the case in the real world)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I believe it's irrelevant considering that this does not change anything about whether or not someone is prosecuted/charged/whatever for driving whilst unfit/attempting to/being in charge of, just changes the penalty.
    So you don't know what your bill is doing?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So you don't know what vehicles are covered?
    Whatever vehicles are currently covered - I would imagine any vehicle which someone is using whilst on the public highway. I don't really get where you're coming from with your vehicles that may or may not not be covered if they're legal on the public highway...

ReputationRep:
    You already can to be fair...(though discretion is absolutely used as is already the case in the real world)
    Are you not voting on your own motion?
    Voted aye boss!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    You should vote nay but this is the case already.
    Oh dear; that is rather a loophole. I'm still not convinced by this bill though.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Are you not voting on your own motion?
    Voted aye boss!
    I will do, just haven't got round to it yet

*Bill

ReputationRep:
    I will do, just haven't got round to it yet

*Bill
    Ok ! This is gonna be a close one!
    Spoiler:
    Show

bill* sorry for the mistake , lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I'm pleased to see the strange definitions have come out. What is making me question voting for this is that 100 hours is a lot of community service for a minimum penalty for drink-driving. Unless you cause a serious accident I don't really see it as a 100-hours-of-community-service level crime.
    Driving a car drunk is an act which says you don't care about the lives of other people. You are taking the chance of killing and maiming people. It's an act of unbelievable selfishness and recklessness which ruins people's lives.

100 hours community service is tame in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Nay - as stated previously the minimum penalties are an extremely bad concept and a far inferior alternative to sentencing guidelines, which I would like to see increased for this offence.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Happy to support this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    £2500 is an absolutely crippling fine for some people. This would have been much better if it had given the option between fines and community service. Also, for minimums, these are pretty high.

Tricky, because I agree that drink driving is a terribly irresponsible thing to do which can potentially cause tragedy. Very tricky.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    £2500 is an absolutely crippling fine for some people. This would have been much better if it had given the option between fines and community service. Also, for minimums, these are pretty high.

Tricky, because I agree that drink driving is a terribly irresponsible thing to do which can potentially cause tragedy. Very tricky.
    Can't afford £2500, don't drive under the influence, is that a complex concept? Then again responsibility for one's own actions isn't exactly a popular idea on the left, is it?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Can't afford £2500, don't drive under the influence, is that a complex concept? Then again responsibility for one's own actions isn't exactly a popular idea on the left, is it?
    I do hope your firmness on such issues stays consistent regardless of the party that proposes the policy.

Don't want to donate organs? Opt-out - doesn't seem like a complex concept either and yet some on the right seem to think it's too much to ask.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.